Scavenger hunt result

6 replies to this topic

#1 AMenard OFFLINE  

AMenard

Dragonstomper

• 727 posts

Posted Sat Oct 6, 2018 1:06 PM

Hi,

I was looking for some classic computer to repair and asked around in some of the facebook group I post on. I was especially looking for an Apple IIe since I have many spare parts for those. I've found one for cheap and as a bonus the guy gave me a couple of untested incomplete TI-99/4A. Both are missing keys (different keyboard mechanism on both) and one seems to have been modded. I don't have a PSU to test them yet, but since the non functional Apple IIe appears to be FULLY functionnal, I wouldn't be surprised that at least one of the can be rescued.

I was wondering if somebody has a spare keyboard or the missing key(s) for me to complete one key set?
I guess the one missing a single key would be easier to complete.

Attached File  image.jpeg   1015.78KB   1 downloads

Attached File  image.jpeg   1.26MB   1 downloads

Attached File  image.jpeg   1.14MB   1 downloads

#2 FarmerPotato ONLINE  

FarmerPotato

Chopper Commander

• 123 posts

Posted Sun Oct 7, 2018 7:39 AM

I have dozens of replacement keyboards, as the result of taking on people's collections.

PM me, I will share one, no cost.

If you just want the M key, thats ok too.

Now, those mods are pretty interesting. It looks like they brought out the video signals - my guess is composite on the BNC connector, and audio mini-phono plug.

The 25-pin D-sub connector might be a "Joy-Print" interface, a mod that allowed printing (originally out the 9-pin, D-sub, joystick side port). Others will know that better (I never used one.)

http://www.mainbyte....lk/joytalk.html

Hint: the 1983 author of Joy-Print is Urbite on this forum. Bit of TI-99/4A lore there.

The red button... you must push it and tell us what it does.

Two guesses: RESET button, or LOAD interrupt. The LOAD interrupt had many uses. One was to run software to print a screen dump. Requires 32k expansion to use because address $FFFC.

To figure out what you have, you'll need some schematics.

First, see the FAQ http://atariage.com/...ces-read-first/

I like Thierry Nouspikel's TI Tech Pages

http://www.unige.ch/...titechpages.htm

And the original TI provided schematics are in this document:

http://www.mainbyte....n/ti99_tech.pdf

Other upgrades on that MainByte page: http://www.mainbyte....99/upgrades.asp

Have fun!

Edited by FarmerPotato, Sun Oct 7, 2018 7:44 AM.

#3 AwkwardPotato OFFLINE  

AwkwardPotato

Space Invader

• 46 posts

Posted Sun Oct 7, 2018 10:58 AM

There was an article I saw once in (I think) 99er for an alternative keyboard for the 99/4 that used the same 25-pin connector.

#4 Ksarul OFFLINE  

Ksarul

River Patroller

• 4,786 posts

Posted Sun Oct 7, 2018 12:35 PM

I have a console with that mod to extend the keyboard on a 25-pin cable. It uses a standard TI keyboard in a box--but now you don't have to sit up close to the console to type.

#5 AMenard OFFLINE  

AMenard

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 727 posts

Posted Mon Oct 8, 2018 8:38 AM

Well I'm officially back in the TI99 world. I've got a third TI-99/4a in trade today for a 1541-II I had gathering dust. Beside some minor scratches (the alu TI99 scratches just by looking at it funny) it's in very good condition. I pm'd FarmerPotato for my missing key on my other TI and if he's got one then I'll have two working TI99 and spare chips from the "modified" one.

Now, I still have to source a PEB with 32k, rs232, FC and a second working floppy for it and software for it of course.

#6 AMenard OFFLINE  

AMenard

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 727 posts

Posted Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:51 PM

Well, I received a composite video cable today and tried both TI-99/4a on my 1702 and both work!

So now I need a few other thing:

A PEB (will know tomorrow if I got one)
A FinalGROM (next month)
A couple of good book on programming the TI (Asm and XB). I know there are some online, i may print them at work.

I know it's a bit silly if I get the finalgrom, but I want actual carts of the programming languages (XB, A/E etc) with docs if available.

#7 Shift838 ONLINE  

Shift838

River Patroller

• 2,420 posts
  • SHIFT838

Posted Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:00 PM

Well, I received a composite video cable today and tried both TI-99/4a on my 1702 and both work!

So now I need a few other thing:

A PEB (will know tomorrow if I got one)
A FinalGROM (next month)
A couple of good book on programming the TI (Asm and XB). I know there are some online, i may print them at work.

I know it's a bit silly if I get the finalgrom, but I want actual carts of the programming languages (XB, A/E etc) with docs if available.

The FinalGROM cartridge is the must have.  I have not had to change a cartridge since I got it installed.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users