IGNORED

My Latest Tale Of Woe...

DavidMil

Over the years (about 35) I have collected a mass of documentation and probably like most of you, I stored it in manila folders (13 to be exact). A stack a little over six inches

tall. Two days ago I pulled out one of the folders from about the middle to look up some ATARI chip numbers. I had already sat down across the room when I heard the sound

of sliding paper. As I turned to look I saw all but one of the folders (the 7800 folder, which is the thinnest of all) falling three feet to the ground. I was paralyzed with shock!

I couldn't move! Hundreds and hundreds of pages falling into a four foot circle of total, mass confusion. I was frozen!

Then the anger hit!!! In three languages (not that I can speak three languages, but I did learn as many cuss words as I could while I was in those two other countries) I stared

cussing. My wife can down the hall thinking that I may have cut a finger off, but when she say the mess in front of the book shelf she started to laugh. Then she saw my face and

heard a few of the words in English and shook her head and closed the door saying she didn't want to hear all that. Now I know I'm 67 years old and it was rather childish, but

that just made me yell all the louder (through the closed door) for a few minutes. Her response was to turn up the volume on the TV!

So I called Brad at Best Electronics and ordered a little over $100 worth of three ring binders. All I did was push all the papers into a pile and that's where they sit now. I did

notice that some of the older pages have torn too. I was worried that I might get bored while my wife convalesced after her surgeries, but it would appear that the good Lord has

given me something to keep me busy. I've been way too angry to say anything before now, but I guess I've calmed down enough to talk about it. Actually, I think I wish that I

had cut off a finger (well maybe the tip of one of the little one's) than this. I'm laughing now so I don't cry!

David

• Like 11

yea whats all that really taking up, a half cd-r of pdf's

Are you volunteering to scan about 800 or so pages of schematics, text, clippings from old magazines, and hand drawn notes on all sizes of paper? If so, send me your address

and I'll sort 'em all out again (the best that I can), and then I'll mail them all to you along with return shipping! And a blank DVD...

David

• Like 2

Wow David, sorry to hear about the mess, I'm told by many that things are sent to try us, well like you I think there's far too much sent to try us and not enough sent to cheer us up if you go for all that stuff.

I on the other hand was born with a unique skill set which allows me to be the most untidy bloke in the world when it comes to my own personal stuff, an office I can keep tidy and efficient but my own gear is an untidy hell.

I can only say to take a few deep breaths and do it all a bit at a time to spread the frustration over a period of time, its not much help but I can emphasise with that sort of disaster, if I accidentally knock a cabinet because my knee has given way then you can be sure the entire contents of that cabinet will magically spill all over the place leaving me to bellow those rather naughty words while my wife and daughter look on with that "oh, not again" look..

Best of luck with the tidy up, at least it will be semi fall proof after the binders, not the most cheery thing as its a nightmare to collate all that but if you were nearer I'd give you a hand (which could make it better or much much worse :) )

Paul..

• Like 2

Are you volunteering to scan about 800 or so pages of schematics, text, clippings from old magazines, and hand drawn notes on all sizes of paper? If so, send me your address

and I'll sort 'em all out again (the best that I can), and then I'll mail them all to you along with return shipping! And a blank DVD...

David

no but pretty much everything is already available outside of your notes, its on this thing called the internet, quit being dramatic

• Like 2

no but pretty much everything is already available outside of your notes, its on this thing called the internet, quit being dramatic

You have no IDEA what stuff he has or hasn't noted.... you also don't know the amount of that stuff on the internet came from places such as his... just because we don't remember everything that has been shared etc. so many sites have disappeared over the years that even if it was there at that time... often it can no longer be found even using way back or archive sites... over the years this fellow has shared some of the most wonderful stuff, Engineering is such a wonderful thing..

If you don't wish to help there are plenty of other threads to visit. Many of us are OLD friends. I could say our old friends continue to at times to impart wisdom in a life experience way you might not appreciate, If we vent or talk or share an experience be glad of that. Are you the kind of person who walks up to people in the park and tell them to leave because you were listening in and decided you didn't like what they had to say? It's the same thing here. How about instead of being mean spirited you take your Frisbee by wham-o! to another part of the park.

@ David,

With a little patience you will get it all back together. And I see no reason why anyone couldn't do the scanning for you a little over time, The hand written detailed notes are always the best and adds history as well as experience to the documents. Often these turn out to be the most valuable. Thank you for the samples and different rom versions.. bits and pieces you have shared over the years. I hope that you find you and yours ever stronger and able to handle things as you fight your way through these things. I want the best for you as always. You and your wife have been some of the best people, and it seems you continue to be. We all get hit hard sometimes. I like that you hit back!

We all get pissed and carry on, only ever heard of one perfect being... So I suggest you laugh at it and those who don't comprehend what it's like, It's all good man.

I enjoy all you contribute, one day others will be in the same boat as most of us, Most people can only hope to treat others half as well as the respect and consideration you have shown others over the years. You're good people. Any help you need of the community will darn near always be given. We have always been a good and helpful bunch. Some of us can get a bit curmudgeonly at times, but our hearts and minds usually come back to a good place!

I look forward to seeing that time capsule re assembled and on the web, carefully curated. I understand fully how it would be difficult to figure out what belongs with what. I bet some one would enjoy putting it all back together as an incredible puzzle using the knowledge of each snippet to give a clue where it belongs.

YIS,

-J

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 4

Here here Doctor! there's always that 1 missing page that surfaces once in a while that answers mysteries and questions. Extra insight, or previously unknown/forgotten notes/clues that may only be in 1 mans remaining collection...

... is that chip list that DavidMil was referring to in a document currently available?

• Like 2

You see the thing is; that when I started saving all this paperwork there was no such thing as the internet (except for businesses and colleges).

To get games and some small amount of docs you had to tie up your phone line for hours to download stuff at 300 baud. And back in those dark ages,

calling a number outside of the city limits was a long distance call and you paid my the minute for all the time you were on the phone. Most of the data

on modifications came in magazines or was recopied over and over from guys you knew at user group meetings (which was also a good way to pick up

modifications that you couldn't buy anywhere). If you haven't lived it you can never understand it. To be honest, all that pile of papers brings back a lot

of fond memories, and it will be with love that I start sorting it all back out in a few days. But I'm still pissed!

David

• Like 4

Wow David, sorry to hear about the mess, I'm told by many that things are sent to try us, well like you I think there's far too much sent to try us and not enough sent to cheer us up if you go for all that stuff.

I on the other hand was born with a unique skill set which allows me to be the most untidy bloke in the world when it comes to my own personal stuff, an office I can keep tidy and efficient but my own gear is an untidy hell.

I can only say to take a few deep breaths and do it all a bit at a time to spread the frustration over a period of time, its not much help but I can emphasise with that sort of disaster, if I accidentally knock a cabinet because my knee has given way then you can be sure the entire contents of that cabinet will magically spill all over the place leaving me to bellow those rather naughty words while my wife and daughter look on with that "oh, not again" look..

Best of luck with the tidy up, at least it will be semi fall proof after the binders, not the most cheery thing as its a nightmare to collate all that but if you were nearer I'd give you a hand (which could make it better or much much worse :) )

Paul..

Thank you Paul.

David

• Like 1

The shared bit I like....

Its a safe way to never lose it unless there a mad rampant Atari 8 Bit user serial killer about to strike...

Who is that at the door?

<Blam>

Ouch! Need a band aid? Never open the door to a stranger! Especially when you see a gun!

David