Photo

Colecovision repaired!

5 replies to this topic

#1 jltursan OFFLINE  

jltursan

Combat Commando

• 9 posts

Posted Sun Oct 7, 2018 9:27 AM

Along this last summer I've been repairing a friend's colecovision (Hi Armando!) and it turned out to be a nightmare. The Colecovision was really in a bad shape, worse than expected and after more than two months of checking and fixing, here's the result:

JJFTaHzl.jpg

The Coleco ended up being mostly socketized, the list of damaged and replaced ICs is long: U10-U17 (all 8 VRAMs!), U5 (74LS138), U9 (TMS9928), U21 (LM1889) and U23 (HEF4066). Basically seems that all the video generation system was strike by a lightning!

Here's a close-up pic:

sjVk0QHl.jpg

:party:  :party:  :party:

#2 Ikrananka OFFLINE  

Ikrananka

River Patroller

• 2,740 posts

Posted Sun Oct 7, 2018 11:02 AM

Congrats on tracking down all of the issues and for fixing them.  I suspect many would have given up.  I love seeing old game systems saved from being thrown away.

Well Done !!!!!

#3 AtariBrian OFFLINE  

AtariBrian

River Patroller

• 3,543 posts

Posted Sun Oct 7, 2018 11:14 AM

Just make sure you don't buy a homebrew called Risky Rick now . :grin:

#4 jltursan OFFLINE  

jltursan

Combat Commando

• Topic Starter
  • 9 posts

Posted Sun Oct 7, 2018 11:29 AM

Congrats on tracking down all of the issues and for fixing them.  I suspect many would have given up.  I love seeing old game systems saved from being thrown away.

It was a "machine vs. man" fight!  :twisted: 

Just make sure you don't buy a homebrew called Risky Rick now . :grin:

It's no my Colecovision; but I'm sure that my Adam would be happy with a Risky Rick plugged in!  :D. Since I talked with Richard about it I was hooked by the development, incredible feat!  :thumbsup:

#5 TheCurlyBard OFFLINE  

TheCurlyBard

Star Raider

• 64 posts

Posted Tue Oct 9, 2018 12:29 PM

Wow, so good to see it repaired, so many faults would have seen it in the landfill for most people.

My own power switches turned up tonight, which means I can finally play with a clean picture, and get the thing reassembled! Really looking forward to seeing it all it's Russian suitcase nuke 80s splendour.

#6 SapphiRe OFFLINE  

SapphiRe

Combat Commando

• 2 posts

Posted Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:32 AM

Many thanks!! It looks beautiful!! ;) ;)

BTW @jltursan, let see if the 9928 I have works correctly... we need to meet soon!!

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users