Photo

Cant get 3.5" floppy to work

20 replies to this topic

#1 videofx ONLINE  

videofx

Chopper Commander

• 198 posts

Posted Tue Oct 9, 2018 12:10 PM

Is there a special drive thats works?  I have a cable thats configured for drive 3. Do you change the drive select on the 3.5" drive?  I am using Corcomp controller, I go into DM2, initialize the disk, the drive light comes on and it starts to initialize then I get ERROR 16

I removed the term resistor from drive 1

The drive works perfect in my PC

Thanks

#2 arcadeshopper OFFLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• 3,932 posts

Posted Tue Oct 9, 2018 12:22 PM

are you using a 720k disk? or a 1.44?  if you are using a 1.44 try putting a label over the hd hole before formatting that will make the drive auto-set to 720k

Greg

#3 Schmitzi OFFLINE  

Schmitzi

River Patroller

• 4,402 posts
  • ToXiC

Posted Tue Oct 9, 2018 12:32 PM

Wot does it mean, "cable configured for drive 3" ?

#4 videofx ONLINE  

videofx

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 198 posts

Posted Tue Oct 9, 2018 12:35 PM

are you using a 720k disk? or a 1.44?  if you are using a 1.44 try putting a label over the hd hole before formatting that will make the drive auto-set to 720k

Greg

Greg I'm using a real 720k disk

#5 arcadeshopper OFFLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• 3,932 posts

Posted Tue Oct 9, 2018 12:39 PM

cable should be straight through, drive select needs to be set on the drive.. unless you have configured the cable specifically for the ti controller..the pc version doesnt work 

#6 videofx ONLINE  

videofx

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 198 posts

Posted Tue Oct 9, 2018 12:55 PM

cable should be straight through, drive select needs to be set on the drive.. unless you have configured the cable specifically for the ti controller..the pc version doesnt work 

correct the cable is twisted for drive 3. What do I set the drive select to on the floppy?

#7 arcadeshopper OFFLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• 3,932 posts

Posted Tue Oct 9, 2018 1:02 PM

correct the cable is twisted for drive 3. What do I set the drive select to on the floppy?

most 3.5" floppys only have D1 or D2 options.. depends on the drive.. got a model no?  or you can get one of these:  https://shift838.fws...3_19020461.aspx

#8 videofx ONLINE  

videofx

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 198 posts

Posted Tue Oct 9, 2018 1:12 PM

most 3.5" floppys only have D1 or D2 options.. depends on the drive.. got a model no?  or you can get one of these:  https://shift838.fws...3_19020461.aspx

Greg with the drive select board does it override the drive settings?

I am using a Mitsumi D359

#9 arcadeshopper OFFLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• 3,932 posts

Posted Tue Oct 9, 2018 1:13 PM

Greg with the drive select board does it override the drive settings?

I am using a Mitsumi D359

Yes it retoutes the selected disk select line to d1 so you set your drive to d1

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

#10 videofx ONLINE  

videofx

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 198 posts

Posted Tue Oct 9, 2018 1:21 PM

Yes it retoutes the selected disk select line to d1 so you set your drive to d1

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk/?

So straight through cable, drive set to D1 then the board to 1,2, 3 or 4?

I can use any 3.5" drive?

#11 videofx ONLINE  

videofx

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 198 posts

Posted Tue Oct 9, 2018 1:30 PM

Here is the drive.  I dont see a drive select

Attached File  IMG_3266.jpg   1.05MB   2 downloads

#12 arcadeshopper OFFLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• 3,932 posts

Posted Tue Oct 9, 2018 1:37 PM

That drive doesn't send the ready signal without modification that may be an issue also. lots of Google info on how to fix that if it's the issue

#13 videofx ONLINE  

videofx

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 198 posts

Posted Tue Oct 9, 2018 1:49 PM

That drive doesn't send the ready signal without modification that may be an issue also. lots of Google info on how to fix that if it's the issue

What model 3.5 inch is the best to get?

#14 arcadeshopper OFFLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• 3,932 posts

Posted Tue Oct 9, 2018 3:26 PM

The best to get is a 720k drive.. the 1.44 drives tend to be designed for the PC in mind without drive select or ready signal jumpers..  they figured why bother if its just going in a peeceee

sony, alps and toshiba drives tend to be better made.. but ymmv  I have 3.5" drives on my 4/a and Geneve that are 1.44 drives and they work pretty well.. I have no idea what make/model they are I just grabbed drives that had disk select jumpers and called it good.

The geneve has a hfdc which is the only controller that does HD as stated before

#15 videofx ONLINE  

videofx

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 198 posts

Posted Tue Oct 9, 2018 4:18 PM

The best to get is a 720k drive.. the 1.44 drives tend to be designed for the PC in mind without drive select or ready signal jumpers..  they figured why bother if its just going in a peeceee

sony, alps and toshiba drives tend to be better made.. but ymmv  I have 3.5" drives on my 4/a and Geneve that are 1.44 drives and they work pretty well.. I have no idea what make/model they are I just grabbed drives that had disk select jumpers and called it good.

The geneve has a hfdc which is the only controller that does HD as stated before

If anyone has any 3.5 " drives for sale that work please let me know or if you have model numbers that work thats good too!

Thanks

#16 Schmitzi OFFLINE  

Schmitzi

River Patroller

• 4,402 posts
  • ToXiC

Posted Tue Oct 9, 2018 4:26 PM

Maybe this list can help a little bit.

But did I tell ? No warranties ;)

If you have more or better infos -> thanks ;)

Attached File  TI-99-4A-FLOPPY-DRIVES-TI-99-v1.12a-ALL.pdf   40.72KB   7 downloads

Attached File  TI-99-4A-FLOPPY-DRIVES-PEB-short-1.10.JPG   25.48KB   1 downloads

#17 Shift838 OFFLINE  

Shift838

River Patroller

• 2,444 posts
  • SHIFT838

Posted Tue Oct 9, 2018 7:28 PM

If anyone has any 3.5 " drives for sale that work please let me know or if you have model numbers that work thats good too!

Thanks

I have had good luck with Alps 1.44mb drives and decent luck with Bytecc (i think that's what they were).   i just have to place a piece of tape over the HD hole in order to get a good format of 720k of course with my Myarc 80 track FDC and they work great with my 838 Drive select boards..

HERE

#18 OLD CS1 OFFLINE  

OLD CS1

Technomancer

• 5,781 posts
  • Technology Samurai

Posted Tue Oct 9, 2018 8:56 PM

Real 720k disks are easy enough to find.  Use them with the 720k format if you want your disks to live long and prosper.

#19 videofx ONLINE  

videofx

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 198 posts

Posted Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:38 PM

I have had good luck with Alps 1.44mb drives and decent luck with Bytecc (i think that's what they were).   i just have to place a piece of tape over the HD hole in order to get a good format of 720k of course with my Myarc 80 track FDC and they work great with my 838 Drive select boards..

HERE

How do you set the drive select if there even is one on the drive when using  the 838 drive select board

#20 Lee Stewart OFFLINE  

Lee Stewart

River Patroller

• 3,833 posts

Posted Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:14 PM

HERE

How do you set the drive select if there even is one on the drive when using  the 838 drive select board

The 3.5" drive is presumed set to drive #2 (for the PC world) and the 838 board’s dip switch allows switching the line for drive #2 to whatever drive # you want the controller to see, obviating the necessity of manhandling the ribbon cable to make twists, etc

...lee

#21 videofx ONLINE  

videofx

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 198 posts

Posted Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:23 PM

The 3.5" drive is presumed set to drive #2 (for the PC world) and the 838 board’s dip switch allows switching the line for drive #2 to whatever drive # you want the controller to see, obviating the necessity of manhandling the ribbon cable to make twists, etc

...lee

Thanks Lee

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users