Photo

What was your favorite graphical effect?

45 replies to this topic

#26 BydoEmpire ONLINE  

BydoEmpire

River Patroller

• 2,837 posts

Posted Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:59 PM

I always liked the circular dissolve at the start/end of levels in Load Runner, that was cool.

#27 Newsdee OFFLINE  

Newsdee

Stargunner

• 1,237 posts

Posted Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:15 PM

Not a graphical effect per se, but I loved the cinematic vibe of Karateka.

#28 derFunkenstein ONLINE  

derFunkenstein

Dragonstomper

• 883 posts

Posted Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:52 AM

In that case, I think it's being done deliberately to avoid triggering epileptic seizures. https://www.reddit.c...is_island_when/

I hadn't considered that, but maybe you're right. 

#29 Tanooki ONLINE  

Tanooki

Quadrunner

• 5,140 posts

Posted Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:53 AM

That epilepsy filter was something a lot of people moaned about with the NES model first acting like the games were worse off for it or broken because of the tweaks.  Like FF1 is one of the most obvious as every spell would do a strobe flash and they did this neat looking color roll effect to change it, similarly with the flashing random effect into battle it was similarly re-tooled.

#30 Flojomojo OFFLINE  

Flojomojo

Telephone Sanitizer

• 14,174 posts

Posted Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:15 AM

The 3D dungeons in Phantasy Star look and work better than any 16-bit 3D dungeons.

I was always a fan of the boxy dungeons in Golgo13 on NES, as well as Treasure of Tarmin on Intellivision.

#31 Black_Tiger ONLINE  

Black_Tiger

Moonsweeper

• 423 posts

Posted Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:34 AM

I was always a fan of the boxy dungeons in Golgo13 on NES, as well as Treasure of Tarmin on Intellivision.

Treasure of Tarmin is one of my favorite games. For all of the detail 8 & 16-bit 3D dungeons added, most didn't have any animation for movement.

#32 derFunkenstein ONLINE  

derFunkenstein

Dragonstomper

• 883 posts

Posted Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:55 AM

That epilepsy filter was something a lot of people moaned about with the NES model first acting like the games were worse off for it or broken because of the tweaks.  Like FF1 is one of the most obvious as every spell would do a strobe flash and they did this neat looking color roll effect to change it, similarly with the flashing random effect into battle it was similarly re-tooled.

Yeah that stuff was really cool. It did weird things to Castlevania III, too. Very trippy. The thing with Yoshi's Islands and the Fuzzies is kinda lame by comparison.

#33 mr_me OFFLINE  

mr_me

River Patroller

• 3,342 posts

Posted Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:57 AM

Phantasy Star on the sega master system in 1987 has smoothly animated first person mazes. It's a step above the redraw the screen every few feet of golgo 13 (1988) on nes or treasure of tarmin (1983) on intellivision. I first saw that first person maze effect on a commodore pet so when I eventually saw treasure of tarmin it's effects were a little disappointing. It's still a good game.

#34 Flojomojo OFFLINE  

Flojomojo

Telephone Sanitizer

• 14,174 posts

Posted Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:12 PM

It's still tile-based, isn't it?

#35 mr_me OFFLINE  

mr_me

River Patroller

• 3,342 posts

Posted Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:27 PM

It's still tile-based, isn't it?

Probably yes. But even tile graphics system can be treated as a bitmap.

#36 Tanooki ONLINE  

Tanooki

Quadrunner

• 5,140 posts

Posted Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:42 PM

Yeah that stuff was really cool. It did weird things to Castlevania III, too. Very trippy. The thing with Yoshi's Islands and the Fuzzies is kinda lame by comparison.

Well I don't know I guess.  Now I'm guessing yours is hacked if you're talking Castlevania III.  What did the Nintendo made emulator do to that game exactly?  I can only imagine that one stage with the lightning and mist getting strange.

#37 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 17,808 posts

Posted Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:47 PM

In Activision's Robot Tank, when your tank explodes, it's like your crt tube exploded along with it! Very cool effect.

#38 Ramses OFFLINE  

Ramses

Chopper Commander

• 183 posts

Posted Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:54 PM

I must admit to being a little mesmerized by the Atari 2600 early screen saver feature where you can watch color palette swaps of games at rest. I still think it's kind of cool now.

Now I wonder, was that a feature of the hardware or did that have to be programmed into the games?

Also, the humming sounds of the TV that would change every time the color palette swapped - very mesmerizing indeed. I remember sitting down and watching it for a while as a kid just to see what color combinations would pop up.

#39 BassGuitari OFFLINE  

BassGuitari

Glorified Toaster

• 6,820 posts
  • Remember how bright the future used to look?

Posted Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:09 AM

ultpong9.jpg

The colors, man....the colors....

#40 Pixelboy ONLINE  

Pixelboy

Quadrunner

• 8,005 posts

Posted Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:21 AM

I've always had a soft spot for multi-directional scrolling (horizontal + vertical at the same time) and also parallax scrolling. :)

#41 mbd30 ONLINE  

mbd30

River Patroller

• 3,106 posts

Posted Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:53 AM

In that case, I think it's being done deliberately to avoid triggering epileptic seizures. https://www.reddit.c...his_island_when

I wonder how kids got epilepsy from playing Kickle Cubicle. (Epilepsy trigger warning!)

Skip to around the 52 minute mark.

Edited by mbd30, Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:54 AM.

#42 digdugnate ONLINE  

digdugnate

Stargunner

• 1,785 posts

Posted Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:20 AM

I wonder how kids got epilepsy from playing Kickle Cubicle. (Epilepsy trigger warning!)

Skip to around the 52 minute mark.

holy smokes!  i just couldn't look away, and i can see those flashing balls everywhere!

#43 derFunkenstein ONLINE  

derFunkenstein

Dragonstomper

• 883 posts

Posted Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:22 PM

Well I don't know I guess.  Now I'm guessing yours is hacked if you're talking Castlevania III.  What did the Nintendo made emulator do to that game exactly?  I can only imagine that one stage with the lightning and mist getting strange.

Yeah, it's hacked, but I'm using the built-in emulator. A good example is that when you get the powerup that clears all enemies from the screen, the whole thing gets smeared for a moment like a colorful acid trip. Not how the original looked, for sure, but it's a cool effect.

#44 Nebulon OFFLINE  

Nebulon

Stargunner

• 1,875 posts

Posted Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:43 PM

Color vectors!

With the explosion in Defender a close second.

#45 Video OFFLINE  

Video

Quadrunner

• 9,145 posts

Posted Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:16 PM

I like the wiggly screen thing, it's a pretty simple effect lots of games of the 8/16 but era used.

Lots of Atari games do color scrolling and cycling which I enjoy.

Parallax scrolling is always a cool effect, especially for 8 bit that can't really handle many effects.

#46 Trinity OFFLINE  

Trinity

Stargunner

• 1,863 posts

Posted Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:38 AM

On the 2600 I really like the laser blast's on Laser Blast. I'd set the old tube type TV to max contrast and then the best darkness, and color and enjoy the awesome phosphor glow as I played in the night with all the lights's out. :cool:

Edited by Trinity, Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:44 AM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users