Photo

A new low-priced "Masterplay Clone" for Sega & A2600 joystick compatibility

Genesis Masterplay Clone Masterplay joystick trakball Master System Joust Gyruss Mr Dos Castle

40 replies to this topic

#26 MLaF297 OFFLINE  

MLaF297

Combat Commando

• 2 posts

Posted Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:59 PM

I saw this video and immediately bought a bohoki adapter and an ikonsgr74 adapter. This works like a charm. Highly recommended!

#27 ikonsgr OFFLINE  

ikonsgr

Combat Commando

• 4 posts

Posted Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:15 PM

Hi Everyone,

I'm ikonsgr the guy who designed the adapter you are talking about in this topic. A couple of days ago, i received a message from someone that wanted to use the adapter, but he told me that the PC 15pin gameport to Atari 5200 controller adapter (made by bohoki), is currently not available, and he asked me if i could make one for him. 

Since i'm no expert with Atari 5200,i took a look at the atari 5200 controller details and i believe that i could modify my adapter to work directly with atari 5200 (changing of the resistors values used,a reroute of the signals to 15pin connector, and an extra pass through 15pin connector for the keypad is all it needs). Of course this would require redesigning and testing of the new pcb, but i don't know if there would be any demand for such an adapter.

So, first i would like to ask bohoki if he plans to make available his adapter again, and if not, how many of you would be interested in a 9pin to atari5200 adapter.

Maybe i could design the circuit+pcb, and have it available for anyone want it...  :roll:

#28 Protestari OFFLINE  

Protestari

Dragonstomper

• 879 posts

Posted Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:51 PM

Hi Everyone,

I'm ikonsgr the guy who designed the adapter you are talking about in this topic. A couple of days ago, i received a message from someone that wanted to use the adapter, but he told me that the PC 15pin gameport to Atari 5200 controller adapter (made by bohoki), is currently not available, and he asked me if i could make one for him. 

Since i'm no expert with Atari 5200,i took a look at the atari 5200 controller details and i believe that i could modify my adapter to work directly with atari 5200 (changing of the resistors values used,a reroute of the signals to 15pin connector, and an extra pass through 15pin connector for the keypad is all it needs). Of course this would require redesigning and testing of the new pcb, but i don't know if there would be any demand for such an adapter.

So, first i would like to ask bohoki if he plans to make available his adapter again, and if not, how many of you would be interested in a 9pin to atari5200 adapter.

Maybe i could design the circuit+pcb, and have it available for anyone want it...  :roll:

I would by two or more :)

#29 ave1 OFFLINE  

ave1

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 499 posts

Posted Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:11 PM

I'd be open to getting one, as long as it maintains Sega Genesis and Sega Master System controller compatibility. Thanks, ikonsgr74!

#30 ikonsgr OFFLINE  

ikonsgr

Combat Commando

• 4 posts

Posted Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:26 AM

Can anyone verify that this is the correct circuit for using 15pin pc joystick to atari 5200?

If yes, then using correct resistors specifically to match 5200 potentiometers (i think it's 500K) ,instead of 100K that  the PC joystick standard has, i believe you can skip the  220nF capacitors too.

Btw,i noticed that the circuit uses the pot common (pin 9 on the atari 5200 connector) to feed the 5volt on the PC joystick port (pin 1). I suppose that the separate common for potentiometers gives at least 2.5-3volts, right?

Edited by ikonsgr, Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:35 AM.

#31 MLaF297 OFFLINE  

MLaF297

Combat Commando

• 2 posts

Posted Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:25 AM

Before stumbling upon the PC to 5200 adapter and the 15 pin to 9 pin combo, I was looking at this setup http://www94.pair.co..._5200_adap.html. The pinout here might be helpful. Being able to use a genesis controller has been great...finding the willppwer to not go on a game buying spree on ebay has not haha

#32 ave1 OFFLINE  

ave1

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 499 posts

Posted Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:03 AM

ikonsgr74, the link you provided doesn't seem to be working. This may help: http://atariage.com/...ic#entry2080405

Edited by ave1, Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:07 AM.

#33 ikonsgr OFFLINE  

ikonsgr

Combat Commando

• 4 posts

Posted Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:31 AM

Well, this post on the thread you mention, confirms my thoughts about the usage of the capacitors on the pot lines. If you use 500k resistors on the adapter, they are not needed! ;-)

My only concern now is the 5v supply of the pc joystick thourgh the common pot signal (btw ave1, the link works fine with me: http://www.atarihq.c...0faq/06_04.html) . If bohoki used thispinout on his adapter, then most probable it works,because my adapter work fine with it.

Edited by ikonsgr, Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:33 AM.

#34 ave1 OFFLINE  

ave1

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 499 posts

Posted Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:23 PM

Well that sounds good, ikonsgr.  Not sure why that link didn't work for me when I tried to go there the other day... it's definitely working now. 

I think you've got a good basis to make something that can be tested.  Looking forward to hearing about it's performance.  One thing you may want to do is find a little pushbutton.  Solder a couple wires to it and attach it to pins 4 and 7 on the 5200 side so you can press start without needing to necessarily have a 5200 joystick connected to press start. That would make it very easy for people who want to use this without having a functional 5200 controller. 

#35 bohoki OFFLINE  

bohoki

Stargunner

• 1,559 posts

Posted Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:05 PM

it would be great if ikong made the gamepad to 5200 adapter on a little board .

i use the atari5200 faq circuit with only one change i link pins 4 and 5  because the pc gameport spec is that pin 4 and 5 are ground and i ran into a suncom joystick that used the pin 5 as ground and since that discovery i make them all that way i also include a start button that connects 5200 pin 4 and 7 that could easily be a button on the board heck it would cost pennies to have a pause and reset as well then have a jack for a  modded 2600 touchpad for the numbers

i also made one that was basically a wico y cable and made the pc to 5200 as a wico pinout it gets pretty complicated when you want other options

there is another option i had an adapter with a switch that turned joy 1 Y into the throttle slider for use with flight sim sticks (it was fun to use a throttle for pole position high low but really is it worth it to have a switch just for one game

ooh another thing is if you use pin 12 for the pot common (pin 9) the system thinks its hooked up to a trac ball and plays games a bit different  like normally if you plug in missile command and use a gamepad the cursor will stay in the center then any direction it will instantly be on the walls you release and it zips back to center but when pin 12 is used it will zip over in the direction you press and when you release it will stay over there (like you stopped the ball)

a typical joystick is giving x y coords but a trac ball is giving an angle and velocity

Edited by bohoki, Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:06 PM.

#36 ave1 OFFLINE  

ave1

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 499 posts

Posted Thu Nov 1, 2018 6:56 PM

bohoki, I sincerely hope you will keep making them. I'm planning on continuing to mention you and your products on my channel as I have over the past 3 years, and letting everyone know you're reachable here at Atariage to buy them.

Anyway- you have made a lot of people happy, and I think your adapter handiwork is great.

#37 bohoki OFFLINE  

bohoki

Stargunner

• 1,559 posts

Posted Thu Nov 1, 2018 8:44 PM

i'll still make them on occasion when enough people ask i make a batch

#38 ikonsgr OFFLINE  

ikonsgr

Combat Commando

• 4 posts

Posted Fri Nov 2, 2018 10:00 AM

Thanks for answering bohoki. The problem is ,that i'm not involved with atari machines a lot (personally i don't own any atari machine), and especially regarding atari's old game consoles, i really had no idea! :-)

I happen to have a friend of mine with a rather big collection of atari machines, but i spoke with him yesterday, and unfortunately he doesn't have a 5200 in his collection. This would be critical, as now, i don't have any 5200 available in order to test the new adapter design i'm thinking of.  So,for the moment, i'm thinking of  simply redesign the circuit and the pcb board (gerber files), and give them here for anyone interested to make the adapter by himself :-)

#39 Swami OFFLINE  

Swami

River Patroller

• 2,508 posts

Posted Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:11 AM

Hey, I got to wondering if my Tototek adapter might have a short in it (it's been damaged in the past and I "fixed" it). Anyway, I took a look and it turns out that a wire was in contact with one of the other wires. That has now been taken care of and it's totally working with the adapters!

So here's the method I used to get the Playstation controllers working.

Plug the following adapters together in series:
A PC 15 pin Gameport to 5200 15 pin adapter (bohoki makes em)
The Atari 2600/Amiga/Commodore 9 pin to PC 15 pin Gameport adapter (made by Ikonsgr74 of Ebay)
A Best Electronics 9 pin to 9 pin adapter that swaps pin 5 & 7 called the Sega Genesis Controllers to Atari Systems Adapter Cable.
A Tototek Playstation controllers to Sega Genesis adapter (named the Joypad Converter version MD).

The thumbsticks work on the conttollers, but the control you get is digital not analog. The analog-only games like Star Wars Arcade, Super Breakout, Missile Command aren't going to be compatible, but the vast majority of 5200 games are compatible.

There you go!

I never thought to ask before; Do you get two buttons working independently with the Best Electronics Genesis to Atari adapter? As in both fire and smart bombs in defender? Thanks.

#40 ave1 OFFLINE  

ave1

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 499 posts

Posted Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:48 AM

I never thought to ask before; Do you get two buttons working independently with the Best Electronics Genesis to Atari adapter? As in both fire and smart bombs in defender? Thanks.

Yes, the two buttons are active with all the adapters connected in series to the 5200 when using Playstation controllers.

#41 Swami OFFLINE  

Swami

River Patroller

• 2,508 posts

Posted Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:19 AM

Yes, the two buttons are active with all the adapters connected in series to the 5200 when using Playstation controllers.

Okay. Thanks!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Genesis, Masterplay Clone, Masterplay, joystick, trakball, Master System, Joust, Gyruss, Mr Dos Castle

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users