Photo

ColecoPlug (Colecovision USB power supply) can be preordered!

53 replies to this topic

#1 EvilDragon17 OFFLINE  

EvilDragon17

Star Raider

• 76 posts

Posted Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:04 PM

A lot of here probably already know about that adaptor, but as it has now been tested thoroughly and is now in production, I thought I'd open up a new thread as well.

Please let me know if you have any further questions - and I'll try to answer them as good as possible.

What is the ColecoPlug?

Coleco-5.jpg

The ColecoPlug is a small adapter which you can plug into your original Colecovision (where you usually plug in the original power supply).

This small plug enables you to use a standard USB-C power supply (like the ones used with smartphones) to power your Colecovision (or any accessories that use the same power supply as well).

As it's hard these days to find power supplies for the Colecovision, this is a great way to keep your system alive. And it works worldwide, regardless the region!

How does it work?

The adapter has an up-converter as well as a voltage stabilizer included.
It uses the 5V it gets from the USB power supply, stabilizes it and creates stable 5V, -5V and +12V from it which powers the Colecovision.

As the Colecovision needs quite a bit of power, you need to use a proper USB power supply as well. Any power supply providing 2A or higher should work without any issues.

Thanks to the voltage stabilized, even cheap USB power supplies that provide less than 5V work fine - but it's still suggested to use a good one.

Has this been tested?

Yes, of course!

Multiple users here from the AtariAge boards have received prototypes and tested them with various Colecovisions. Modded and unmodded, with accessories and without and from various regions.

It works without problems.

Also, we presented it at our booth at the GamesCom in Germany where it powered a Colecovision 10 hours a day for 5 days. No crash, nothing!

CE / FCC testing has also been finished already. In case you're interested in the testing results, I've attached them to this post.

You can also see a quick video of an early prototype here:

How much does it cost and where can I get it?

It's around 35 EUR without VAT and excluding shipping, and you'll get a bit off when you order 2 or more adapters.

You can preorder it here:

https://www.dragonbo...c-adaptors.html

How many will be produced?

We're planning a production run of 500, however, if there is a lot of demand, we'll likely produce more.

Got questions? Let me know here :)

Attached Files

Edited by EvilDragon17, Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:52 PM.

#2 SpotAnime ONLINE  

SpotAnime

Chopper Commander

• 108 posts

Posted Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:16 PM

Very nice! Just pre-ordered two!

Just curious, what kind of USB cable should I get for this? Do I need to worry about getting one with certain specifications?

#3 EvilDragon17 OFFLINE  

EvilDragon17

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 76 posts

Posted Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:25 PM

Very nice! Just pre-ordered two!

Just curious, what kind of USB cable should I get for this? Do I need to worry about getting one with certain specifications?

Not really, any USB-C cable should work.

As usual, avoid the really cheap Chinese ones - if it isn't able to provide enough power to the adapter, it won't work.

That's why we used USB-C. Most cables are meant to be used with smartphones that eat a lot of power, so you won't have issues with them.

#4 EvilDragon17 OFFLINE  

EvilDragon17

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 76 posts

Posted Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:26 PM

BTW: In case anyone who ordered only had expensive shipping services available: I now also added untracked shipping via postal mail. This is slower, but a lot cheaper (it does cost 3,70 EUR worldwide!)

Let me know if you'd like to switch to the cheaper shipping costs.

Edited by EvilDragon17, Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:32 PM.

#5 phattyboombatty OFFLINE  

phattyboombatty

Stargunner

• 1,171 posts

Posted Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:25 PM

I am blown away by the ingeniousness of this! For years, many people have tried to recreate the ColecoVision power supply with bulky, noisy PC power supplies. Some have come up with incredible internal power supplies which are very nice. 

But you and your team sir, have thought outside the box! Fantastic job with your ingenuity, as this makes it easy for ANYONE to make their classic ColecoVision PORTABLE! Furthermore, we never have to worry about burning out our coveted classic CV power supplies again, as USB chargers are UBIQUITOUS!

Nice work man.  8)  8)  8)

• Rey likes this

#6 jblenkle OFFLINE  

jblenkle

River Patroller

• 4,695 posts

Posted Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:58 PM

So is there a shipping cost? I went through the motions of adding one to my cart just to see if I could calculate the lower costing one you said you added and it said Free Shipping.  I didn't go any further than just adding it to my cart so I don't know if that would change later in the process.

BTW: In case anyone who ordered only had expensive shipping services available: I now also added untracked shipping via postal mail. This is slower, but a lot cheaper (it does cost 3,70 EUR worldwide!)

Let me know if you'd like to switch to the cheaper shipping costs.

#7 nick3092 OFFLINE  

nick3092

Chopper Commander

• 156 posts

Posted Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:51 AM

So is there a shipping cost? I went through the motions of adding one to my cart just to see if I could calculate the lower costing one you said you added and it said Free Shipping.  I didn't go any further than just adding it to my cart so I don't know if that would change later in the process.

Yes. My order said the same thing, free shipping until I got further in the cart. In a nutshell, your options are going to be UPS or Fedex, each with a shipping cost of around the cost of the power plug itself (faster and traceable). Or standard post, which is less than $5 usd, but slower and no tracking.

#8 atari-dna OFFLINE  

atari-dna

Moonsweeper

• 283 posts

Posted Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:22 AM

For those who ordered, how is the performance so far? Interested to hear the feedback

#9 berighteous OFFLINE  

berighteous

Space Invader

• 14 posts

Posted Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:24 PM

I ordered 2 on the 10th/  When will they be shipping?

#10 Mike Harris OFFLINE  

Mike Harris

Star Raider

• 63 posts

Posted Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:35 AM

Now make one for the ADAM.

I think it would draw too much power for the data drives.

#11 rjchamp3 OFFLINE  

rjchamp3

Stargunner

• 1,767 posts
  • The Nes Dream Master

Posted Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:18 AM

I would like one ur site link don't work?

#12 NIAD OFFLINE  

NIAD

Quadrunner

• 6,140 posts

Posted Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:36 PM

Now make one for the ADAM.

I think it would draw too much power for the data drives.

Didn't you say in another thread that you just acquired a minty ADAM that will remain in the box as you continue to use emulation for your ADAM experience? Just asking.

#13 Mike Harris OFFLINE  

Mike Harris

Star Raider

• 63 posts

Posted Thu Nov 1, 2018 12:17 AM

I did.
I also got hosed on the manuals and the guy says if he finds them...He didn't say anything about missing manuals when he defined the product as never touched, unused and in near mint condition.

That said, that will be shelved on display in my collection while I use an every day unit.

#14 rjchamp3 OFFLINE  

rjchamp3

Stargunner

• 1,767 posts
  • The Nes Dream Master

Posted Thu Nov 1, 2018 6:00 AM

I did.
I also got hosed on the manuals and the guy says if he finds them...He didn't say anything about missing manuals when he defined the product as never touched, unused and in near mint condition.

That said, that will be shelved on display in my collection while I use an every day unit.

I would like to order but ur link don't work

#15 berighteous OFFLINE  

berighteous

Space Invader

• 14 posts

Posted Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:42 PM

When will these be shipping?

#16 towmater OFFLINE  

towmater

Dragonstomper

• 542 posts

Posted Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:59 PM

Dave Jones, where are you when we need you?

#17 vazquezrick OFFLINE  

vazquezrick

Chopper Commander

• 206 posts

Posted Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:49 PM

I ordered 2 on the 10th/  When will they be shipping?

I also ordered one in the 10th.

#18 NIAD OFFLINE  

NIAD

Quadrunner

• 6,140 posts

Posted Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:58 PM

The preorder opened just 40 days ago and production is not an overnight process. Give them a little time please before posting all the "where's my product" messages... this is the way of the CV Homebrew scene and has been for over a decade.

#19 vazquezrick OFFLINE  

vazquezrick

Chopper Commander

• 206 posts

Posted Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:13 AM

I also ordered one on the 10th.

#20 SiLic0ne t0aD OFFLINE  

SiLic0ne t0aD

River Patroller

• 2,280 posts
  • Rock 'N Roller, Space Patroller

Posted Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:56 PM

I can't wait till the next batch comes in.. I'll definitely be ordering a couple!
My internal power supply mod is a little noisy, so these should do the trick.

#21 EvilDragon17 OFFLINE  

EvilDragon17

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 76 posts

Posted Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:43 AM

Aaaand here is an update:

PCBs should be finished early December, boxes will arrive here December 8th, cases will be finished December 6th (all details according to the manufacturer).

So we're in time for christmas! We will ship them as soon as we receive them, but we can't assure you that it will arrive everywhere in the world before christmas if you've chosen the cheapest shipping service.

We're getting there :D

#22 berighteous OFFLINE  

berighteous

Space Invader

• 14 posts

Posted Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:11 PM

Thanks!

#23 vazquezrick OFFLINE  

vazquezrick

Chopper Commander

• 206 posts

Posted Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:35 PM

Than you for the update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#24 EvilDragon17 OFFLINE  

EvilDragon17

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 76 posts

Posted Tue Dec 4, 2018 12:01 PM

Shells have arrived, now I'm only waiting for the boxes and PCBs :)

#25 Mika73 OFFLINE  

Mika73

Moonsweeper

• 289 posts

Posted Tue Dec 4, 2018 2:02 PM

Prize 42€ + shipping? I read 35€ somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users