Photo

American Videogame

8 replies to this topic

#1 bmadgames OFFLINE  

bmadgames

Chopper Commander

• 145 posts

Posted Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:06 AM

What is known about the quality of the games produced by the company? I know various Tax Avoiders threads have mentioned some details, but I'm too young to know how many games they released at retail, etc.

After many years of research and interviews, I have been in contact with the organization that holds the rights to these games. They nor anyone else I have spoken to know exactly how many games were brought to retail.

I'm just curious--trying to figure out the value of the games

#2 King Atari OFFLINE  

King Atari

Quadrunner

• 5,333 posts

Posted Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:13 AM

I thought Tax Avoiders was the only game they put out? Or at least the only one for the 2600?

#3 bmadgames OFFLINE  

bmadgames

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 145 posts

Posted Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:35 AM

Delete

Edited by bmadgames, Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:36 AM.

#4 bmadgames OFFLINE  

bmadgames

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 145 posts

Posted Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:35 AM

I'm not sure. They have masters for about 200 games for the 2600. Almost all were developed in 1982 and 1983

Edited by bmadgames, Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:36 AM.

#5 jhd OFFLINE  

jhd

Stargunner

• 1,789 posts

Posted Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:43 PM

I'm not sure. They have masters for about 200 games for the 2600. Almost all were developed in 1982 and 1983

Are these all original titles? That is a staggeringly large output for one firm, approaching the volume of titles produced by Atari themselves (over a much longer time period). How many employees did the firm have?

#6 bmadgames OFFLINE  

bmadgames

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 145 posts

Posted Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:45 PM

Are these all original titles? That is a staggeringly large output for one firm, approaching the volume of titles produced by Atari themselves (over a much longer time period). How many employees did the firm have?

My guess is they are mostly hacks being that they were essentially tax scams.
  • jhd likes this

#7 pacman000 OFFLINE  

pacman000

Stargunner

• 1,356 posts

Posted Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:09 PM

Although this game has a 1982 copyright date, it was not seen on store shelves until 1986.

From http://www.atarimani...iders_7938.html

Perhaps American Video Games' parent company bought the rights to games programmed in the early 80's? When on failed they decided against releasing the others.

#8 BassGuitari OFFLINE  

BassGuitari

Glorified Toaster

• 6,900 posts
  • Remember how bright the future used to look?

Posted Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:13 PM

From http://www.atarimani...iders_7938.html

Perhaps American Video Games' parent company bought the rights to games programmed in the early 80's? When on failed they decided against releasing the others.

re: the game not appearing until 1986:

Has that been established? I recall one person saying that, or at least saying that's when he first remembered seeing it, but I don't know if there was anything else to go on.

#9 KaeruYojimbo OFFLINE  

KaeruYojimbo

Stargunner

• 1,699 posts

Posted Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:24 PM

According to this post, there were 192 titles copyrighted by American Videogame (the thread also has a short interview with the programmer of Tax Avoiders). There are videos of 11 of the 192, suggesting those games were completed or at least far enough along to make a gameplay video, but only Tax Avoiders was released. It's possible some of the other games were released with different titles, but without any game descriptions it's impossible to tell for sure.

Edited by KaeruYojimbo, Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:25 PM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users