IGNORED

Star Trek (Strategic Operations Simulator)

classicgamer74

I created this episode on a request from my wife, a fellow Trekker. As a kid I only got to play this game a few times, in the arcade. I remember loving the vector graphics and just loving the game, period. I thought it was cool that they were able to simulate Mr. Spock's voice and I found the game play was fun and challenging. When it was ported to the Atari 2600 I remember being disappointed because it wasn't like the arcade. Of course I was only 8 and didn't understand that it was impossible to port vector graphics, but yet I played the heck out of it and still enjoy it and the other various ports to this day.

• Like 1

I like it too. One gripe:

The gameplay is definitely ***tactical*** operations, there's no strategy here.

What would the Trekkies do if we had TWO acronyms for ST:TOS???

Sounds like more of a "problem" for Amigans! :lol:

I love this for the VCS and the TI, which besides the arcade game - is what I grew up playing. The TI's speech synthesizer, while it didn't particularly sound like Spock, really adds to the game. The bonus mine stages are fun and frantic. And always thought the conversion from vector to raster was excellent, since the gameplay is what it's all about. All around nice ports to home IMO.

• Like 2

This oh-so-wrong review of the game from ENTER magazine still rankles me.

attachicon.gif4F3E7DDB-7E64-42AA-9DC8-0B058500DF66.jpeg

Well, you know, it happens. I mean look at the external reviews on this site. I think some people intentionally gives games low scores. I mean someone gave Pitfall! a 60%. ???

Edited by classicgamer74

The arcade version made use of both the overhead radar and 1st POV screen for aiming, but the home versions was mostly played using the radar while the bottom screen had to "draw" raster stills. (Especially with the star field being replaced with a blue sky??)

But it's still a good game to play at home since it feels like a real time version of NetTrek.

• Like 1