Photo

XF551 Mixed-Original Parts Bare PCBs

157 replies to this topic

#151 hueyjones70 OFFLINE  

hueyjones70

Moonsweeper

• 317 posts

Posted Fri Apr 5, 2019 11:34 AM

First it was a bad cable then the cardedge adapter, now the problem is solved. The 3.5 mod is working thanks to everyone for their observations and tips. Especially stargunner.

#152 hueyjones70 OFFLINE  

hueyjones70

Moonsweeper

• 317 posts

Posted Fri Apr 5, 2019 1:10 PM

After resoldering the drive select switch, everything now works perfectly with the NEW bare board. Thank you DROPCHECK.

#153 Dropcheck OFFLINE  

Dropcheck

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,459 posts

Posted Fri Apr 5, 2019 6:48 PM

After resoldering the drive select switch, everything now works perfectly with the NEW bare board. Thank you DROPCHECK.

Good deal.  :)

#154 Dropcheck OFFLINE  

Dropcheck

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,459 posts

Posted Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:41 AM

New XF551 Mixed Parts bare pcbs are available for purchase on my website. 

#155 hueyjones70 OFFLINE  

hueyjones70

Moonsweeper

• 317 posts

Posted Fri May 17, 2019 7:15 PM

After using the 551 board for 6 weeks to test different 3.5 drives; I decided that I would finally install it in a case with a 3.5 drive mech. After getting it in the case, I booted up with MYDOS and tried to format a disk. The process seemed to be working but then I got an error 163. The same thing happened with 3 other disks. After experimenting with several other disks, I found that it would only boot with MYDOS, I assumed that was because the MYDOS disk was double density. If I set the drive as drive 2, and boot drive 1 with DOS 2.5; the computer doesn't even acknowledge that there is a drive 2. Is this also because of the double density of the 3.5 drive. I have tried two different ROM B ICs and get the same results. I can't format a disk. I tried ten different disks and get the same results. Any suggestions.

#156 hueyjones70 OFFLINE  

hueyjones70

Moonsweeper

• 317 posts

Posted Fri May 17, 2019 8:18 PM

I removed the drive from the case and removed the heat sink to insure that nothing was grounding or shorting.

#157 manterola ONLINE  

manterola

Moonsweeper

• 355 posts

Posted Fri May 17, 2019 8:41 PM

Maybe some MyDOD setting? I use double sized double density diskettes the ones with square hole in one corner only.
And I set parameters with p in the menu. I don't remember the exact sequence of parameters to get 720kb....does somene know/remember?

#158 hueyjones70 OFFLINE  

hueyjones70

Moonsweeper

• 317 posts

Posted Yesterday, 8:33 PM

I went back changed to a 5.25 EPROM and tried the board with a 5.25 drive and everything works. Evidently my EPROM has somehow gone bad.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users