IGNORED

Snake Tetris

Coolcrab

While I love mash-ups and am a fan of both Snake and Tetris, I wonder how playable that is in the long run or if it just is an interesting concept.

Previously I've toyed with ideas like combining Pong + Columns/Lumines and Snake + Berzerk (not on the 2600 though). Some can turn out very nice, some are more of academic interest.

Looks very doable to me, bB or otherwise. It's just single colored playfield blocks and a dot, not hard to draw at all.

I do feel like the snake could use a different color than the solid Tetris blocks though, in order to avoid confusion when the playfield gets more cramped.

Being at most 4 blocks wide,the snake could easily be drawn with a stretched player object.

Looks very doable to me, bB or otherwise. It's just single colored playfield blocks and a dot, not hard to draw at all.

I do feel like the snake could use a different color than the solid Tetris blocks though, in order to avoid confusion when the playfield gets more cramped.

Being at most 4 blocks wide,the snake could easily be drawn with a stretched player object.

A stretched sprite is what I'm currently experimenting with for my own implementation. Everything is either 1, 2, 3 or 4 solid pixels.

• 2 weeks later...

How exactly? the PF blocks are huge.

Huge indeed. You have about a 40 x 24 grid using the playfield if you aim for 8 scanlines of vertical resolution per "block"....it's *mostly* square-ish at that point. But here's the kicker: A bitmap representation of a playfield of that resolution would use exactly 120 bytes of RAM... Have fun with only ~6 variables for your game!

You'd want to leave room for the well borders and score, though. Maybe 20 vertical blocks like Surround. That game uses a 40x20 grid (consuming 100 bytes). But "Snake Tetris" (and many versions of classic Tetris, I might add) do not use the full screen for the well...completing lines would take too long and be a boring game - 40 snakes minimum just to get a Tetris!. "Snake Tetris" looks to be using only 8 blocks across. 20 x 8bits = 20 bytes.

Topic:

Not fun, as-is. You are at the complete mercy of where the apple appears. Potentially ending the game after only a few snakes through no fault of your own. It'll be a bit better if you are allowed to slide the "locked" snake horizontally as it falls and/or reaches the bottom of the pile (just as Tetris allows).

• Like 1

So, Whitesnake comes on the damn radio as I'm reading Nukey Shay's comment.

I guess that means I'm going to have to add some form of this stupid game mode to my cartridge. :P

Just...wonderful...

Probably going to need feedback when that time comes, because I just don't see this as being a very fun version of Tetris!