Photo

Colecovision in Japan

4 replies to this topic

#1 Serguei2 OFFLINE  

Serguei2

Dragonstomper

• 701 posts

Posted Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:32 PM

Since both Sega released SG-1000 based on Colecovision hardware and Nintendo released NES with double power of Colecovision in Japan, I started to wonder if Colecovision was released in Japan?

Edited by Serguei2, Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:33 PM.

#2 retroillucid OFFLINE  

retroillucid

Quadrunner

• 7,814 posts

Posted Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:38 PM

Since both Sega released SG-1000 based on Colecovision hardware and Nintendo released NES with double power of Colecovision in Japan, I started to wonder if Colecovision was released in Japan?

As far as I know, it wasn't 
Although, a few people imported the system back in the days 

We (CollectorVision) do have a few customers in Japan 

#3 CrazyBoss OFFLINE  

CrazyBoss

Moonsweeper

• 363 posts

Posted Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:14 AM

I dont think it was released in Japan, When the Colecovision came out, it might be very close to the release of MSX in Japan. If it came out in Japan in great numbers i would assume there was Japanese games, like we saw at the SG-1000.

I think back then USA was more a Console Market, while Europe and Japan was a Computer Market.

#4 mr_me OFFLINE  

mr_me

River Patroller

• 3,536 posts

Posted Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:36 AM

Japan had consoles in 1982 from Bandai and Epoch. Intellivision and Atari 2600 were also there, for whatever reason it was very expensive for foreign manufacturers in Japan. Colecovision, famicom, and the sg-1000 were all marketed as upgradeable to a computer. I wonder if Coleco could sell their Donkey Kong and Zaxxon cartridges in Japan.

#5 wileyc OFFLINE  

wileyc

Chopper Commander

• 115 posts

Posted Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:30 AM

I think I'm one of the Japanese customers that Collectorvision is referring to.

Never seen a unit or compatible here. Even Super Potato has never heard of it. I got my unit from the US.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users