IGNORED

1050 Disk Drive Help Needed

adam1977

I was wondering if anyone could help me please, i've been having problems getting my 1050 to work, I put a disk in, lock it in place, boot the computer up, the light comes on the front of the drive and then nothing, I've taken the lid off and have carefully cleaned the head, but it made no difference. So I downloaded some diagnostic software, booted up the 800, did a few tests and this is the result:

DSC01761.jpg

I have read about the track zero sensor and it would appear that this has failed, the drive was missing one screw so somebody has been there before me.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please :)

ok, with the case removed

■ power up the disk drive on it's own - ie without computer attached

what happens?

■ once it's powered up, insert a disk and close the drive lever

what happens now?

is there any drive head movement at all?

Thanks for the replies :)

ok, with the case removed

■ power up the disk drive on it's own - ie without computer attached

what happens?

■ once it's powered up, insert a disk and close the drive lever

what happens now?

is there any drive head movement at all?

Without the computer connected, once the disk is inserted and I lock it in place the disk spins, but the head remains still. If I manually move the head down towards the front of the drive and close the drive lever the head does move up back to it's previous position, but that's it.

Is the disk is actually spinning?

Your test screenshot shows RPM too high. If you run the speed test specifically under (2) troubleshooting options, if it works, what is the measurement?

The disk does spin but I don't think I took a picture of the troubleshooting results, i'll redo them and will post my findings ;)

Here is a previous thread for reference where problem was found to be incorrect RPM: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/282584-attempting-to-repair-a-1050-disk-drive-no-activity-light-no-motorhead-spin/?p=4106280

The post after the one I linked to has a picture of where to find the speed adjustment trimpot. Once the speed is within spec, reformat the disk with single density and re-copy the diagnostics software to it, and rerun the tests.

• Like 2

Here is a previous thread for reference where problem was found to be incorrect RPM: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/282584-attempting-to-repair-a-1050-disk-drive-no-activity-light-no-motorhead-spin/?p=4106280

The post after the one I linked to has a picture of where to find the speed adjustment trimpot. Once the speed is within spec, reformat the disk with single density and re-copy the diagnostics software to it, and rerun the tests.

Many thanks i'll give it a try ;)

With no disk inserted, does the head move in and back out when you power it on?

Does it ever knock against its back stop?

Right, i've just had another check with the case apart, so with the lock lever down, no disk inserted and powering it up via the front switch, the head moves up and down momentarily and the motor spins (for the disk). I get the same results with a disk inserted, but without being connected to the 800.