Photo

I designed a NanoPEB Case...

36 replies to this topic

#1 jdgabbard OFFLINE  

jdgabbard

Moonsweeper

• 284 posts

Posted Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:47 PM

So there are at least 2 cases for the NanoPEB that I have seen.  One available on Thingiverse, which wasn't to my taste.  The second sold by a member here.  But I was looking for something I could print at home.  And I decided to spin my own solution.  I will be providing the STL files for the design so that anyone may print these at home, or through a service if they would like.  I will NOT be providing a printing service for these cases.  However, places such as 3dhubs.com could assist you, if you need it printed.

But before I release the files, I thought I'd get some feed back.  So I am looking for input.

I decided to go without a door to the CF card.  I didn't want it, as I rarely remove the card.  And it's easy enough to take the case apart.  I do plan on adding holes or a window for the LEDs, but have not done so yet.  Still tossing the idea around a bit.  I may add a location for a printed "tag" so that the user may customize it.  I haven't decided yet.  Let me know what you think....

Attached Files

#2 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

HexaCoreRunner

• 13,024 posts

Posted Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:13 PM

Excellent!  After you upload the .STL file(s), please let me know and I'll link to it from << THIS ENTRY >>. 

There are lot's of things in there, but currently only three 3D printer files.

#3 jdgabbard OFFLINE  

jdgabbard

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 284 posts

Posted Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:29 PM

Thanks, I hope to have it complete soon.

#4 Ksarul OFFLINE  

Ksarul

River Patroller

• 4,828 posts

Posted Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:26 PM

I like that one--it somehow has some built-in retro-cartridge goodness to it.  :)

#5 arcadeshopper OFFLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• 3,842 posts

Posted Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:54 PM

I'll be happy to offer these printed if you approve..

Greg

#6 jdgabbard OFFLINE  

jdgabbard

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 284 posts

Posted Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:02 AM

Thanks, I have changed it just a bit. Added a slot for the led indicators, modified the depth of the power switch shelf, added On/Off indicators for the switch, and added NanoPEB to the 45* angle. Need to make one more adjustment to the slot for indicators. And I think it will be done. Ill try to get pictures uploaded this evening.

There does seem to be an issue with it having an open mesh. Mesh Mixer is not helping, as it claims an entire wall is a bit hole. Which is clearly not the case. It throws an error when I load it up into my printing software. But it self-fixes and prints without problem. So I think its ok.

Greg, youre welcome to print it up for people if you like. I dont have any problems with that. Ill probably publish it on Thingiverse with a public license, as well as uploading the STL here. So, no issue with making a buck or two on it through your web store. I see this as a needed service to the community. So I dont care how people get their hands on it. I just want to make it available as another option.

#7 arcadeshopper OFFLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• 3,842 posts

Posted Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:41 AM

Thanks, I have changed it just a bit. Added a slot for the led indicators, modified the depth of the power switch shelf, added On/Off indicators for the switch, and added NanoPEB to the 45* angle. Need to make one more adjustment to the slot for indicators. And I think it will be done. Ill try to get pictures uploaded this evening.

There does seem to be an issue with it having an open mesh. Mesh Mixer is not helping, as it claims an entire wall is a bit hole. Which is clearly not the case. It throws an error when I load it up into my printing software. But it self-fixes and prints without problem. So I think its ok.

Greg, youre welcome to print it up for people if you like. I dont have any problems with that. Ill probably publish it on Thingiverse with a public license, as well as uploading the STL here. So, no issue with making a buck or two on it through your web store. I see this as a needed service to the community. So I dont care how people get their hands on it. I just want to make it available as another option.

make sure it has some ventilation as well..  something on the top and bottom to let air flow

#8 jdgabbard OFFLINE  

jdgabbard

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 284 posts

Posted Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:46 AM

I havent experienced any issues with heat, the Nano doesnt have much of a load, and there isnt any regulation on board (although, I wish there were). So heat should not be an issue. But I can add a few vents.

#9 RickyDean OFFLINE  

RickyDean

Dragonstomper

• 991 posts

Posted Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:51 AM

I havent experienced any issues with heat, the Nano doesnt have much of a load, and there isnt any regulation on board (although, I wish there were). So heat should not be an issue. But I can add a few vents.

You should be able to add a regulator, I did to my two CF7+'s.

#10 jdgabbard OFFLINE  

jdgabbard

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 284 posts

Posted Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:24 AM

I could, but would prefer to keep it intact. The 5v only input is a bonehead thing to do in my opinion. Especially with LDO regulators in small footprints out there, e.g. LM1117 and the likes.

#11 arcadeshopper OFFLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• 3,842 posts

Posted Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:30 PM

I'm just paranoid about leaving things plugged in for weeks without any vent..  :)

thanks!

Greg

#12 jdgabbard OFFLINE  

jdgabbard

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 284 posts

Posted Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:27 AM

I dont leave things plugged in, I unplug after use. So thats probably why Im less paranoid.

#13 arcadeshopper OFFLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• 3,842 posts

Posted Wed Nov 7, 2018 10:38 AM

How's this coming?

#14 jdgabbard OFFLINE  

jdgabbard

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 284 posts

Posted Thu Nov 8, 2018 1:30 PM

I just haven't been able to get the file uploaded.  It's basically done at this point.  I'll try to get the files posted in the next day or so.

#15 jdgabbard OFFLINE  

jdgabbard

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 284 posts

Posted Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:29 PM

Ok, here is the final design.  I've hosted the files on my website, feel free to download and use them however.  Again, this is to be consider free for use.  So if you want to print these and make them available on your store, feel free.  Here is the link to the post on my blog with the download:  3D Printed Shell for the TI-99/4A NanoPEB

NanoPEB.jpg

#16 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

HexaCoreRunner

• 13,024 posts

Posted Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:46 PM

Ok, here is the final design.  I've hosted the files on my website, feel free to download and use them however.  Again, this is to be consider free for use.  So if you want to print these and make them available on your store, feel free.  Here is the link to the post on my blog with the download:  3D Printed Shell for the TI-99/4A NanoPEB

I added the link << HERE >> which might make it easier for people to find after this thread ages and moves down over the next few months.

#17 jdgabbard OFFLINE  

jdgabbard

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 284 posts

Posted Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:23 PM

I added the link << HERE >> which might make it easier for people to find after this thread ages and moves down over the next few months.

Thanks man!  I appreciate it.

I added the vents and lettering on this one.  It has indicators for On/Off, as well as the opening for the CF LEDs.

#18 Opry99er OFFLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• 9,978 posts

Posted Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:19 AM

It's beautiful!

I have one of the ancient CF7s that stick out at a 90 degree angle, so this doesn't work for me. But one day I'll get a regular nano, and I'll be off to the races. :)

Thanks for your work!

#19 jdgabbard OFFLINE  

jdgabbard

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 284 posts

Posted Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:16 AM

It's beautiful!

I have one of the ancient CF7s that stick out at a 90 degree angle, so this doesn't work for me. But one day I'll get a regular nano, and I'll be off to the races. :)

Thanks for your work!

I dont guess Im familiar with that version. Pictures maybe? If I had something to work with I might be able to do something with it...

#20 Opry99er OFFLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• 9,978 posts

Posted Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:49 AM

It is a very old design, not many people have one. I don't know if it would get enough use to justify doing a case for it. I only know of 4 or 5 people who still use this model. Let me see if I can get you a picture or two.

#21 Opry99er OFFLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• 9,978 posts

Posted Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:52 AM

Here are a couple images off google

Attached Files

#22 Opry99er OFFLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• 9,978 posts

Posted Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:55 AM

It's a big L shaped thing. :D

There aren't that many people using them these days... I think someone once used a small pencil box or something as a case. Pretty funny

#23 jdgabbard OFFLINE  

jdgabbard

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 284 posts

Posted Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:07 AM

Does that CF adapter come off?  It looks like it might be soldered on, but I really can't tell as the pictures are tiny.  If it comes off, it should be easy enough to use a 90* adapter.  And if so it should be easy to make a small side car for it.  I'd probably need to have one in my hands to really see what could be done.  It's hard to assume given just pictures.  But it looks as though it suffers from the same problem the NanoPEB V1 does, that it doesn't have any mounting holes.  The design wouldn't be entirely dissimilar.  But again, it would probably benefit from doing away with the L-Shaped design.  If nothing else, a ribbon cable should work.

#24 RickyDean OFFLINE  

RickyDean

Dragonstomper

• 991 posts

Posted Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:23 AM

Yes, mine has an adapter and so it sets close to the body of the cf7+. You should be able to do the same.

#25 Opry99er OFFLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• 9,978 posts

Posted Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:04 AM

Some better photos of my personal CF7+

Attached Files

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users