Stella and 0xc000007b error on Windows 7 64-bit

Stella error Windows 7

4 replies to this topic

#1 NostAlgae37 OFFLINE  

NostAlgae37

Star Raider

• 92 posts

Posted Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:50 PM

I tried downloading and installing 5 different versions of Stella, and I also installed the Microsoft Visual C++ 2017 Redistributable that they require (both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions), and no matter what when I double-click the .exe I keep getting a message saying, "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b), Click OK to close the application."  I have Windows 7 64-bit on my notebook, and have downloaded and used emulators for so many different systems in the past, but for some reason I can never seem to figure out how to get Stella to work.  Do you happen to have any idea what I am doing wrong?

#2 Trebor OFFLINE  

Trebor

River Patroller

• 4,619 posts

Posted Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:41 PM

I tried downloading and installing 5 different versions of Stella, and I also installed the Microsoft Visual C++ 2017 Redistributable that they require (both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions), and no matter what when I double-click the .exe I keep getting a message saying, "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b), Click OK to close the application."  I have Windows 7 64-bit on my notebook, and have downloaded and used emulators for so many different systems in the past, but for some reason I can never seem to figure out how to get Stella to work.  Do you happen to have any idea what I am doing wrong?

A couple of articles regarding that exact error message:

The Application was Unable to Start Correctly (0xc000007b) [FIXED]

How to Fix Application Unable to Start Correctly Error (0xc000007b)

Both articles point to possible Windows system file problem(s), including the possible need to...

...perform Windows updates... 

...reinstall DirectX...

...update .NET framework...

...run a check disk...

...enable/run the app with Administrator rights...

...in addition to the reinstall Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Packages.

If it still does not work, some "advanced solutions" are also available to try.

#3 Keatah OFFLINE  

Keatah

Missile Commander

• 21,580 posts

Posted Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:35 PM

I too have seen similar errors. Didn't bother to dig into them or solutions other than do a different machine.

Edited by Keatah, Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:35 PM.

#4 NostAlgae37 OFFLINE  

NostAlgae37

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 92 posts

Posted Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:07 PM

I finally got Stella running on my notebook!  It turns out that I had to do what's called a "clean boot" of Windows with most of the services disabled before I installed the MS Visual C++ 2017 Redistributable, because one of those services kept interfering with the install and corrupting it.

#5 Thomas Jentzsch OFFLINE  

Thomas Jentzsch

Thrust, Jammed, SWOOPS!, Boulder Dash, THREE·S, Star Castle

• 23,606 posts
  • Always left from right here!

Posted Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:36 PM

Glad you found a solution to your problem. Microsoft doesn't make it easy for all of us.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Stella, error, Windows 7

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users