IGNORED

Atari Flashback 9 FIRMWARE for adding games to SD card

This is for Atari Flashback 9 and Atari Flashback 9 Gold (same file works on both)

1. Download this file atari_update.img.zip

2. Unzip it (will uncompress to 36MB file named atari_update.img)

Put it on an SD card, insert into console, power on.

3. Push LEFT on the joystick to start the update process

once it's done, bush RIGHT to skip the prompt

Reboot! The SD card option is now enabled.

To add ROMs, it's like how the Flashback Portable worked. Make a GAME folder in the root of your SD card. You may need to rename your ROMs and avoid any special characters. Both .bin and .a26 files should be recognized.

This thread has some relevant troubleshooting info, and you might even find some other downloads there.

this message has been brought to you by the firmware fairy

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

This is for Atari Flashback 9 and Atari Flashback 9 Gold (same file works on both)

1. Download this file attachicon.gifatari_update.img.zip

To add ROMs, it's like how the Flashback Portable worked. Make a GAME folder in the root of your SD card. You may need to rename your ROMs and avoid any special characters. Both .bin and .a26 files should be recognized.

This thread has some relevant troubleshooting info, and you might even find some other downloads there.

Now get to work on putting together the compatibility list. :grin:

• Like 5

Actually, Thanks!

• Like 1

I'm using the same SD card I did with the portable. I didn't have to change the file names for the games. The console recognized them. The save slots also work with the roms in the SD card, which is really neat.

Sadly, I'm still having the issue with the action button not registering when pressed sometimes on the FB9. Kinda ruins the experience. Does anyone else have this issue?

Edited by bugcatcher88
  • Like 1

I'm using the same SD card I did with the portable. I didn't have to change the file names for the games. The console recognized them. The save slots also work with the roms in the SD card, which is really neat.

Sadly, I'm still having the issue with the action button not registering when pressed sometimes on the FB9. Kinda ruins the experience. Does anyone else have this issue?

Were you able to get in touch with support?

Were you able to get in touch with support?

Yes, I was. Very friendly people. They couldn't replicate my problem but said they would keep looking into it. Their suggestions (rebooting console, using P2 port) didn't help. My unit may be defective and I should probably look into replacing it. Another poster on here said his friend also encountered the same problem though. Hmmm.

Anyways, so far all of the game roms I tried have worked very well. Rampage, Moon Patrol, Mario Bros, Galaxian, Bugs Bunny, Pac-Man 8K have played wonderfully (among a few others).

Edited by bugcatcher88
  • Like 4

Yes, I was. Very friendly people. They couldn't replicate my problem but said they would keep looking into it. Their suggestions (rebooting console, using P2 port) didn't help. My unit may be defective and I should probably look into replacing it. Another poster on here said his friend also encountered the same problem though. Hmmm.

Anyways, so far all of the game roms I tried have worked very well. Rampage, Moon Patrol, Mario Bros, Galaxian, Bugs Bunny, Pac-Man 8K have played wonderfully (among a few others).

Your last statement is fantastic to hear, your earlier statement not so much. If at all possible, you should definitely try to do an exchange at the store. This way we can try and eliminate more possible failure points. Sorry for the inconvenience!

• Like 1

Starpath games work!

(BTW I was Atariboy's friend with the button issue. Mine seems to be the joystick itself, I put the the P2 stick in the P1 port and didn't have any more problems with the fire button, while plugging the P1 stick in the P2 port they still showed up playing in 2P . As I don't play 2P, I don't really care, but unfortunately, the menu function doesn't seem to work with the 1p stick in the 2p port)

• Like 1

That is... disappointing. I was hoping they were going to improve where Hyperkin stumbled.

As with Hyperkin, the issue was hardware support for the emulator. Apparently Stella 4.0 and up require a different confirguration. On the plus side, it sounds like there will be more compatible games with the AtGames product than then Hyperkin, so that part of it is a win! :)

Many thank you's to Flojomojo! Since you have not answered the question "are you the firmware fairy?", I'm going to take a guess and say it might have been someone else who didn't want to be named and gave you the file to upload. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. ;)

@flojo

are you the firmware fairy?

Why yes, yes I am.

Many thank you's to Flojomojo! Since you have not answered the question "are you the firmware fairy?", I'm going to take a guess and say it might have been someone else who didn't want to be named and gave you the file to upload. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. ;)

Asked and answered.

• Like 4

As with Hyperkin, the issue was hardware support for the emulator. Apparently Stella 4.0 and up require a different confirguration. On the plus side, it sounds like there will be more compatible games with the AtGames product than then Hyperkin, so that part of it is a win! :)

Yes, it's been covered rather extensively and the basis is the need for SDL2 support in the OS that is running (the hardware is already SDL2 capable)

Unless AtGames has done something special with the Stella code the compatibility will be the same as the R77 with the latest update - i.e. Stella 3.9.3

Starpath games work!

(BTW I was Atariboy's friend with the button issue. Mine seems to be the joystick itself, I put the the P2 stick in the P1 port and didn't have any more problems with the fire button, while plugging the P1 stick in the P2 port they still showed up playing in 2P . As I don't play 2P, I don't really care, but unfortunately, the menu function doesn't seem to work with the 1p stick in the 2p port)

Jeremy, did you try an original Atari joystick in port 1? If it does not register every button press, then I would say you have a bad port and to exchange the system. Hope this helps!

• Like 1

Sorry if this was obvious to everyone else, but it appears you can't have any spaces whatsoever in your game titles. Panicked a little at first, but am having a blast now. Thanks At Games!

I learned that the hard way yesterday lol. Selecting a game with spaces in the title will make it crash back to the selection screen.

Starpath games work!

After reading your post this morning I decided to try playing a game using the P2 controller, and thankfully it worked properly. I played a game of Missile Command and then Pitfall and it worked perfectly. All button presses registered. I don't know why that's the case but whatever, I'm happy.

Use a computer to rename your computer files. Automating repetitive tasks are the point of computers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batch_renaming

I know how to do that but if we can't have spaces then I'm going to want some other naming convention like removing extra detail. Does upper or lower case matter? Does special characters like underscores matter? Can the filenames be longer than 8 characters?