IGNORED

ALTERNATE REALITY -THE CITY - MUSIC RECREATED - Thoughts?

Jace Hall

Hello everyone.

Thought I would share this:

I've always thought that the opening music the Alternate Reality on the Atari 8-bit computer was one of the best pieces of music ever created during that era.

I recently took it upon myself to go listen to it again, and while it still was amazing, it did not have the same impact on me that it once did back in the late 80's.

It just didn't sound as EPIC.

So I looked and looked all around the internet to see if anyone had made a version of the song that was worthy of the original, and unfortunately I couldn't find anything that satisfied.

I then decided to re-create the song to be as close as possible to the original using modern technology while at the same time enhancing it to what it sounded like to me (or how I actually perceived it) when I first heard it in my younger years.

I think I got pretty close to the actual sound of an Atari computer - of course, this "Atari" has stereo fields, so... umm.. yeah....

Anyway, the intro is kind of long, so I am only presenting the last half of it. If you want me to provide the whole intro with the spaceship I can do that later no prob.

If you have a good sound system / headphones you will be able to hear everything - your phone speaker wont really be able to do express the full range.

If you have any questions you can reply here, but it will be faster if you tweet me at @jacehall

Hope you enjoy it. It was very fun to make.

Video is here:

• Like 32

Huge AR fan here, ever since '85. I really like your rendition. Excellent. Too good to go along with the original game on real hardware though, literally, factually, technically.. It would be fantastic for a remake. What would be cool is your rendition done with Rasta Music Tracker with stereo Pokeys and replace the original in-game music. Alternate Reality was a tour de force for the A8 line in '85, musically, graphically, game depth. The problem is we've heard and seen better out of our 8-bit since, so a re-work to bring it up to current tour de force standards of our 8-bit would be wonderful. But I'll settle for your version in RMT inserted.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

THE Jace Hall, lately of Twin Galaxies fame? Wow.

I really like your remix, but let me challenge you a bit. The tone of your rendition is dreamy and surreal. To me, however, Alternate Reality has all the scary madness of a circus fun house and the things you find there can and will kill you. The adventure is never entirely voluntary or at all certain to end well. If you want to try an Alternate Tonality, give us something less soaring and inspirational and more thinly-veiled insanity.

Edited by pixelmischief
  • Like 3

THE Jace Hall, lately of Twin Galaxies fame? Wow.

I really like your remix, but let me challenge you a bit. The tone of your rendition is dreamy and surreal. To me, however, Alternate Reality has all the scary madness of a circus fun house and the things you find there can and will kill you. The adventure is never entirely voluntary or at all certain to end well. If you want to try an Alternate Tonality, give us something less soaring and inspirational and more thinly-veiled insanity.

That's some challenge! Perhaps if I ever get more time I will attempt it!

• Like 2

Fantastic!

Perhaps you can consider doing something with "Waves":

I did a cover of "Waves" in RMT a few months ago, but I don't want to steal Jace's thread; also, I am not completely satisfied with the slowdown at the end, which I could not reproduce very well.

Edited by pseudografx
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone.

Thought I would share this:

I've always thought that the opening music the Alternate Reality on the Atari 8-bit computer was one of the best pieces of music ever created during that era.

I recently took it upon myself to go listen to it again, and while it still was amazing, it did not have the same impact on me that it once did back in the late 80's.

It just didn't sound as EPIC.

So I looked and looked all around the internet to see if anyone had made a version of the song that was worthy of the original, and unfortunately I couldn't find anything that satisfied.

I then decided to re-create the song to be as close as possible to the original using modern technology while at the same time enhancing it to what it sounded like to me (or how I actually perceived it) when I first heard it in my younger years.

I think I got pretty close to the actual sound of an Atari computer - of course, this "Atari" has stereo fields, so... umm.. yeah....

Anyway, the intro is kind of long, so I am only presenting the last half of it. If you want me to provide the whole intro with the spaceship I can do that later no prob.

If you have a good sound system / headphones you will be able to hear everything - your phone speaker wont really be able to do express the full range.

If you have any questions you can reply here, but it will be faster if you tweet me at @jacehall

Hope you enjoy it. It was very fun to make.

Video is here:

Edited by ARO2

I liked your version! Just remember, it was 1984 and I only had 4 square wave voices (good ole pokey chip) and had to write in hex so it could be compiled into binary for the old atari which had a clock speed of 2... (the apple at the time had a clock speed of 1 hehe).

• Like 9