Photo

ALTERNATE REALITY -THE CITY - MUSIC RECREATED - Thoughts?

Alternate Reality Music Philip price Gary Gilbertson The City

34 replies to this topic

#1 Jace Hall OFFLINE  

Jace Hall

Combat Commando

• 7 posts

Posted Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:16 AM

Hello everyone.

Thought I would share this:

I've always thought that the opening music the Alternate Reality on the Atari 8-bit computer was one of the best pieces of music ever created during that era.

I recently took it upon myself to go listen to it again, and while it still was amazing, it did not have the same impact on me that it once did back in the late 80's. 

It just didn't sound as EPIC.

So I looked and looked all around the internet to see if anyone had made a version of the song that was worthy of the original, and unfortunately I couldn't find anything that satisfied.

I then decided to re-create the song to be as close as possible to the original using modern technology while at the same time enhancing it to what it sounded like to me (or how I actually perceived it) when I first heard it in my younger years.

I think I got pretty close to the actual sound of an Atari computer - of course, this "Atari" has stereo fields, so... umm.. yeah....

Anyway, the intro is kind of long, so I am only presenting the last half of it. If you want me to provide the whole intro with the spaceship I can do that later no prob.

If you have a good sound system / headphones you will be able to hear everything - your phone speaker wont really be able to do express the full range.

If you have any questions you can reply here, but it will be faster if you tweet me at @jacehall

Hope you enjoy it. It was very fun to make. 

Video is here:

#2 Wrathchild OFFLINE  

Wrathchild

River Patroller

• 2,188 posts

Posted Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:16 AM

Very nice & atmospheric

There was a previously done tune... found here

#3 Gunstar OFFLINE  

Gunstar

Gunstar

• 10,187 posts

Posted Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:12 AM

Huge AR fan here, ever since '85. I really like your rendition. Excellent. Too good to go along with the original game on real hardware though, literally, factually, technically.. It would be fantastic for a remake. What would be cool is your rendition done with Rasta Music Tracker with stereo Pokeys and replace the original in-game music. Alternate Reality was a tour de force for the A8 line in '85, musically, graphically, game depth. The problem is we've heard and seen better out of our 8-bit since, so a re-work to bring it up to current tour de force standards of our 8-bit would be wonderful. But I'll settle for your version in RMT inserted.

Edited by Gunstar, Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:14 AM.

#4 lotek_style OFFLINE  

lotek_style

Moonsweeper

• 271 posts

Posted Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:04 PM

NICE!!

#5 pixelmischief OFFLINE  

pixelmischief

Stargunner

• 1,280 posts

Posted Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:57 PM

THE Jace Hall, lately of Twin Galaxies fame?  Wow.

I really like your remix, but let me challenge you a bit.  The tone of your rendition is dreamy and surreal.  To me, however, Alternate Reality has all the scary madness of a circus fun house and the things you find there can and will kill you.  The adventure is never entirely voluntary or at all certain to end well.  If you want to try an Alternate Tonality, give us something less soaring and inspirational and more thinly-veiled insanity.

Edited by pixelmischief, Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:01 PM.

#6 Jace Hall OFFLINE  

Jace Hall

Combat Commando

• Topic Starter
  • 7 posts

Posted Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:39 PM

THE Jace Hall, lately of Twin Galaxies fame?  Wow.

I really like your remix, but let me challenge you a bit.  The tone of your rendition is dreamy and surreal.  To me, however, Alternate Reality has all the scary madness of a circus fun house and the things you find there can and will kill you.  The adventure is never entirely voluntary or at all certain to end well.  If you want to try an Alternate Tonality, give us something less soaring and inspirational and more thinly-veiled insanity.

That's some challenge! Perhaps if I ever get more time I will attempt it!

#7 _The Doctor__ OFFLINE  

_The Doctor__

Flux Capacitor Master Craftsman

• 6,728 posts

Posted Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:27 PM

I couldn't launch it, what is being used to serve the video and audio?

#8 AtariNerd OFFLINE  

AtariNerd

Stargunner

• 1,121 posts
  • For Illustrative Purposes Only.

Posted Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:29 PM

It's hosted on Vimeo and embedded here. You might need to allow vimeo.com and vimeocdn.com in any filters or ad-blocker plug-ins you may have installed in your browser

#9 Yautja OFFLINE  

Yautja

Moonsweeper

• 432 posts

Posted Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:00 PM

Fantastic!

Perhaps you can consider doing something with "Waves":

#10 Heaven/TQA ONLINE  

Heaven/TQA

Quadrunner

• 11,211 posts

Posted Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:12 AM

Strange... I still can sing along with the lyrics.... it was so immersive game even City had no quest except to survive.

#11 Rybags OFFLINE  

Rybags

Gridrunner

• 16,087 posts

Posted Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:28 AM

Nice - I believe there's one or two modern day PC based AR recreation projects - this sort of music upgrade is precisely what a remake would need.

#12 Stormtrooper of Death OFFLINE  

Stormtrooper of Death

Moonsweeper

• 449 posts

Posted Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:42 AM

Wow, this version is really nice.

#13 pseudografx OFFLINE  

pseudografx

Dragonstomper

• 764 posts

Posted Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:08 AM

Fantastic!

Perhaps you can consider doing something with "Waves":

I did a cover of "Waves" in RMT a few months ago, but I don't want to steal Jace's thread; also, I am not completely satisfied with the slowdown at the end, which I could not reproduce very well.

Edited by pseudografx, Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:08 AM.

#14 k-Pack OFFLINE  

k-Pack

Star Raider

• 59 posts

Posted Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:00 PM

Nicely done.  Listened to it three times and I could still listen to it again.  

#15 Poison OFFLINE  

Poison

Moonsweeper

• 393 posts

Posted Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:40 AM

track is very nice, but i can hear SID instruments inside, some drums, bassline and synth . . . it is not pokey :(

#16 Yautja OFFLINE  

Yautja

Moonsweeper

• 432 posts

Posted Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:41 AM

I did a cover of "Waves" in RMT a few months ago, but I don't want to steal Jace's thread; also, I am not completely satisfied with the slowdown at the end, which I could not reproduce very well.

Please, share it!

#17 pseudografx OFFLINE  

pseudografx

Dragonstomper

• 764 posts

Posted Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:26 PM

Please, share it!

Ok then, I added it to my own thread here: http://atariage.com/...rner/?p=4144436

#18 Kyle22 ONLINE  

Kyle22

River Patroller

• 4,026 posts
  • Call my BBS! telnet://broadway1.lorexddns.net

Posted Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:04 PM

I like it. Vimeo works fine for me using FireFox on WinXP32..

This has me thinking about the possibilities of a modified AR that uses the new MIDI devices along with PoKey sounds.

Possible?

#19 Jace Hall OFFLINE  

Jace Hall

Combat Commando

• Topic Starter
  • 7 posts

Posted Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:32 PM

Lets hear it!! Feel free to steal the thread! :)

#20 Jace Hall OFFLINE  

Jace Hall

Combat Commando

• Topic Starter
  • 7 posts

Posted Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:34 PM

track is very nice, but i can hear SID instruments inside, some drums, bassline and synth . . . it is not pokey :(

No its not designed to be pure pokey. Just supposed to capture the complete feel of the intro when I head it as a kid.

#21 Bunsen OFFLINE  

Bunsen

Dragonstomper

• 878 posts

Posted Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:23 AM

I would like to refer to my good friend 8Bitjunkie who remixed this song, too. And even sang to it...

Both songs are equal, but music videos are different.

#22 _The Doctor__ OFFLINE  

_The Doctor__

Flux Capacitor Master Craftsman

• 6,728 posts

Posted Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:41 AM

once he gets it rolling, it's good just like the game.

#23 pseudografx OFFLINE  

pseudografx

Dragonstomper

• 764 posts

Posted Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:59 PM

Lets hear it!! Feel free to steal the thread! :)

I already posted a link :)

#24 ARO2 OFFLINE  

ARO2

Space Invader

• 15 posts

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:53 PM

Hello everyone.

Thought I would share this:

I've always thought that the opening music the Alternate Reality on the Atari 8-bit computer was one of the best pieces of music ever created during that era.

I recently took it upon myself to go listen to it again, and while it still was amazing, it did not have the same impact on me that it once did back in the late 80's. 

It just didn't sound as EPIC.

So I looked and looked all around the internet to see if anyone had made a version of the song that was worthy of the original, and unfortunately I couldn't find anything that satisfied.

I then decided to re-create the song to be as close as possible to the original using modern technology while at the same time enhancing it to what it sounded like to me (or how I actually perceived it) when I first heard it in my younger years.

I think I got pretty close to the actual sound of an Atari computer - of course, this "Atari" has stereo fields, so... umm.. yeah....

Anyway, the intro is kind of long, so I am only presenting the last half of it. If you want me to provide the whole intro with the spaceship I can do that later no prob.

If you have a good sound system / headphones you will be able to hear everything - your phone speaker wont really be able to do express the full range.

If you have any questions you can reply here, but it will be faster if you tweet me at @jacehall

Hope you enjoy it. It was very fun to make. 

Video is here:

Edited by ARO2, Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:11 AM.

#25 ARO2 OFFLINE  

ARO2

Space Invader

• 15 posts

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:59 PM

I liked your version!  Just remember, it was 1984 and I only had 4 square wave voices (good ole pokey chip) and had to write in hex so it could be compiled into binary for the old atari which had a clock speed of 2...  (the apple at the time had a clock speed of 1 hehe).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Alternate Reality, Music, Philip price, Gary Gilbertson, The City

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users