Photo

ALTERNATE REALITY -THE CITY - MUSIC RECREATED - Thoughts?

Alternate Reality Music Philip price Gary Gilbertson The City

34 replies to this topic

#26 Jace Hall OFFLINE  

Jace Hall

Combat Commando

• Topic Starter
  • 7 posts

Posted Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:05 PM

I liked your version!  Just remember, it was 1984 and I only had 4 square wave voices (good ole pokey chip) and had to write in hex so it could be compiled into binary for the old atari which had a clock speed of 2...  (the apple at the time had a clock speed of 1 hehe).

Wait. Are you Gary Gilbertson or Philip Price? From your post it sounds like you made the original song. Is that accurate?

#27 ARO2 OFFLINE  

ARO2

Space Invader

• 15 posts

Posted Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:58 PM

This is Gary. Couldn't remember my password... Took awhile to get in haha.

#28 Heaven/TQA OFFLINE  

Heaven/TQA

Quadrunner

• 11,209 posts

Posted Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:59 PM

Welcome back Master!

Remember... the waves are (still) pounding on the shore.... :)

#29 Mclaneinc OFFLINE  

Mclaneinc

Retro Madman

• 6,552 posts

Posted Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:28 AM

Kneel before Zod :)  (If you have not seen Superman II (Reeves) that joke will fall flat-ish..)

Welcome back Gary, good to see you on here again....

Edited by Mclaneinc, Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:29 AM.

#30 Red7fury OFFLINE  

Red7fury

Combat Commando

• 1 posts

Posted Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:58 PM

Hey everyone, I'm new here having just been referred by my life-long best friend.  I'm 43 now, but remember like it was yesterday playing AR together back in the 80's.  Being a musician, I've always thought that GG's work was some of the most groundbreaking / iconic pieces EVER ad still do.  So first, off kudos to YOU for your sweet version as well.  Loved the depth of sound!

I too, have found myself re-booting AR music over the years.  I even wrote a few new ones inspired by AR (i.e. "The Nightstalker").  I'd love for you AR fans to come check it out - @Gary especially!!!!  Would love to share how you've inspired me!!!  Here are some links:

https://soundcloud.c...scull-765619196

Some old favorites there and some new ones - 15 TOTAL - Some lyrics for "The Nightstalker":

Brave heros, they have tried to hunt him.
Not many have survived to tell the tale.
Of a creature that's so fierce
A nightmare who brings death
His fangs ready to pierce
Your soul
You take your last breath.

The Nightstalker shrouded in darkness
The Nightstalker he brings your demise
The Nightstalker is black
The Nightstalker is cold
The Nightstalker attacks
Just run, just do what you're told.

Legendary strength born to rip you.
A gaping maw, designed to eat you whole.
And tear you limb from limb
Only when light is dim
You'll meet your doom
Expect the worst
Shadow black death looms.

The Nightstalker shrouded in darkness
The Nightstalker he brings your demise
The Nightstalker is black
The Nightstalker is cold
The Nightstalker attacks
Just run, just do what you're told.

Some lyrics for the other originals as well if you want more, just ask :)  Would love to get your feedback on these!  Oh and the nextgen hack job version of the opening credits I did is on YouTube here:  

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=_R3jOiHmJBw

#31 Gravelpits OFFLINE  

Gravelpits

Combat Commando

• 2 posts

Posted Mon Feb 4, 2019 5:56 PM

I do not wish to hijack this thread, but I would like very much to share the playlist from AR that I put together with Mr. Gilbertson's approval. So as not to repeat myself, here's the cross post from the Philip Price thread:

http://atariage.com/...12#entry4208019

#32 Jace Hall OFFLINE  

Jace Hall

Combat Commando

• Topic Starter
  • 7 posts

Posted Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:21 PM

This is Gary. Couldn't remember my password... Took awhile to get in haha.

GARY!

How are you?

I haven't seen you since our time together at Monolith Productions. Did you move back to Hawaii after that?

Jace

#33 ARO2 OFFLINE  

ARO2

Space Invader

• 15 posts

Posted Fri Mar 1, 2019 4:03 AM

JACE

I was google-n AR for the heck of it one day and saw a link to your AR version.  When I saw your picture, I thought hmmm that guy looks familiar...
But didn't know why till later when I read your bio.

I was back in Hawaii for a bit after Monolith but then was... Well, a lot of places.  Currently, I am in Newport Beach, Ca. 

Hi to the other guys on Jace's post... As you can imagine it's a thrill to hear different versions of AR songs and listen to the ones inspired by them.

Btw Jace... Do you remember that Kurzweil 2500X you gave me? It still works! Recently I added a Kurzweil Forte. 
Seems you guys have got me (now with some spare time), motivated as well haha.

Edited by ARO2, Fri Mar 1, 2019 4:04 AM.

#34 Jace Hall OFFLINE  

Jace Hall

Combat Commando

• Topic Starter
  • 7 posts

Posted Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:03 PM

JACE

I was google-n AR for the heck of it one day and saw a link to your AR version.  When I saw your picture, I thought hmmm that guy looks familiar...
But didn't know why till later when I read your bio.

I was back in Hawaii for a bit after Monolith but then was... Well, a lot of places.  Currently, I am in Newport Beach, Ca. 

Hi to the other guys on Jace's post... As you can imagine it's a thrill to hear different versions of AR songs and listen to the ones inspired by them.

Btw Jace... Do you remember that Kurzweil 2500X you gave me? It still works! Recently I added a Kurzweil Forte. 
Seems you guys have got me (now with some spare time), motivated as well haha.

Awesome!

Looking forward to hearing your new compositions! Do you still keep in contact with Mr. Price?

#35 ARO2 OFFLINE  

ARO2

Space Invader

• 15 posts

Posted Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:09 PM

Jace:

Haven't talked to Phil in years... He seems to be under the radar these days.  I did hear from others that he was visiting people in Kona about a month ago.

For the heck of it here are a couple of new basic versions of a couple of old AR songs.

https://youtu.be/AxrSqlpkv3I    Alternate Reality - The City

whoops - just noticed you can't link directly from here... ya need to copy and paste to browser.

Edited by ARO2, Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:12 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Alternate Reality, Music, Philip price, Gary Gilbertson, The City

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users