IGNORED

Took the plunge, bought a Jag...

GoldenWheels

...the only Atari console I never owned, decided it was time...so please allow me to be a noob, and ask a question I think I already know the answer for...is there any way to get a turbo controller or turbo adapter for the Jag (so I can enjoy Raiden, Trevor McFur, et al a little better)? All I can find online is regular, Pros ($!) and modified rotaries (which look awesome but I'm enjoying Tempest as is for now).

My silver-spoon-fed-spoiled-ass-thumbs are long past the days of jamming on a button for an hour in a shewty-shewt.

Also in the realm of fairly stupid questions....is there any place to get cheap-ish loose games other than ebay? I got a very nice lot with my system (though it all smelled incredibly strong of an ashtray, YUCK, explains why it was decently priced I guess) so have plenty to play for now but in trolling around I am a little surprised to see loose (what I think are) commons going for $20-25+. But then...I'm new to this thing.

I'm enjoying the bigs right now....Doom, Wolfenstein, Tempest. But I'm looking to branch out a bit, especially if the game is Jag only.

Also another stupid question I guess...my system came with two controllers...one has a much longer cable than the other, by at least a foot, maybe two. Does this indicate a pack-in vs. aftermarket controller or something? Later revision?

• Like 2

When you're THIS late to the party, I guess it makes sense to make a grand entrance. If you like the system, get one of the newly manufactured replica ProControllers. It doesn't have a turbo function to my knowledge, but it should be a lot more comfy than the standard controller. Your best bet on cartridges is probably local Craigslist or mom&pop retro shops if you have anything like that, but I wouldn't expect to find much apart from Cybermorph and Kasumi Ninja at this late stage. I would get Defender 2000 and Protector next if it were me.

• Like 1

When you're THIS late to the party, I guess it makes sense to make a grand entrance. If you like the system, get one of the newly manufactured replica ProControllers. It doesn't have a turbo function to my knowledge, but it should be a lot more comfy than the standard controller. Your best bet on cartridges is probably local Craigslist or mom&pop retro shops if you have anything like that, but I wouldn't expect to find much apart from Cybermorph and Kasumi Ninja at this late stage. I would get Defender 2000 and Protector next if it were me.

I can't lie...as big of an Atari kid as I was, I've been something of a Jag hater late in life, which was unfair of me. Decided it was time to educate myself and I had been scoping deals for a while.

I REALLY want a turbo option. I want to play Raiden very much, the Jag version is CLEARLY better in a lot of ways (slowdown, ahem) than the SNES port I've played a lot of...but my thumb...she is lazy.

NO mom and pops near me, sadly. I'll just have to keep ebay trolling. I like to explore new systems and see what I can find in the "bottom end" of a library that's cheap...this normally means sports and puzzlers, which is actually fine with me. Bet even Sensible Soccer, Flip Out, etc, seem to go for a little bit. Will certainly look for Defender...part of this was definitely a need to fill out my Atari experience and long time Atari console mainstays like Defender are a big part of that. Too bad there is no Jaguar Joust...

(part of what got me off the fence was discovering/seeing the ST ports as well....my last Atari computer was an XE and I'm not going back to the computing world... so I figure maybe I can get the Jag experience and SOME of the ST experience.)

Could comment on this http://atariage.com/forums/topic/261391-rapid-fire-mod/or PM him directly...good luck!

Gonna give it a shot, thanks!

Welcome aboard!

If you just want to play rather than collect, SainT is probably nearly finished-ish working on his Jag SD cart.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/254003-upcoming-jaguar-sd-cartridge/page-1

I really like to do both...but an SD cart is OK too!

<whisper>

Nobody tell him about Raiden Project, he'll just get angry

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Raiden_Project

</whisper>

Ha! It's not that I am such a big Raiden fan really...I am just a super lazy gamer who uses turbos on EVERYTHING where it is even moderately helpful. Was surprised to see the lack of controllers for the Jaguar. I mean...it got a CD add on but not ONE aftermarket turbo controller???

Some people have even gone so far as to suggest it's not the best game system one could buy ... :ponder:

I don't recall ANY 3rd party controllers a la MadCatz or whatever for this system.

Best or not, it's still amazing to me that it got a CD add on but not one turbo controller. Maybe that relation doesn't make sense either but in the peripheral world, your system normally gets a turbo controller before a major expansion add on!

That boomerang POS was obviously designed to be a Megadrive pad. Someone just stuck a 15 pin connector on it and thought they could make a buck from the Jaguar crowd.

Making a buck from the Jaguar crowd isn't hard to do. Some people will buy literally anything made for it. And yes, those pads are total garbage.

• Like 5

When you're THIS late to the party, I guess it makes sense to make a grand entrance.

This is what I call fashionably on-time. You're NEVER late to an Atari-party!

Quick! Someone send him the link to the AtariBox so I won't be the only one on here with one!

• Like 1

Making a buck from the Jaguar crowd isn't hard to do. Some people will buy literally anything made for it. And yes, those pads are total garbage.

I never had the pleasure of using one, but any controller that doesn't even support the basic functions of the console doesn't get my vote.

At least it has that dome attachment though, just in case you have a suction cup on the end of your thumb.

Good luck on collecting games for it...... I'm 26 years old and the only time in my life i've seen any Jaguar stuff "in the wild" as in at an actual store and not online was at a pawn shop in Minnesota around 2010-ish. They had 2 Jaguar cartridges, Cybermorph and can't remember the other one (Wasn't anything noteworthy or I would of remembered it, or probably even bought it even though I didn't own a Jag at the time)

I've had decent luck myself thankfully collecting for it... Take a look below...

post-42460-0-69913600-1540610384_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pink
  • Like 1