Photo

Christmas Carol Introduction Sequences - Revealed!

11 replies to this topic

#1 DZ-Jay ONLINE  

DZ-Jay

Quadrunner

• 11,488 posts
  • The P-Machinery AGE is almost here!

Posted Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:50 AM

It's been six years since Christmas Carol made her "World Debut" at the Classic Gaming Expo 2012.  Six years, wow!  And yet, it feels like it just happened the other day.

Anyway, it occurred to me that I never published the cut-scenes as videos for anybody to see without having to play the game all the way to the end.  Even though the cut-scenes are some of the coolest things in the game, back then I was trying to keep them hidden and mysterious to let the players discover them as they played along.  However, six years later and I realized I just forgot about it.

So, I decided that it's better late than never.   Below I include all the sequences, including those for the end game, when the player completes all stages and wins the game.  Do not be surprised if the last two are slightly different from the ones in your own games -- they were taken inadvertently from a different development branch of the game code.  However, the changes are very minor and do not change their tone or message.

These animation sequences introduce each stage of the game, and viewed together offer a glimpse at the overarching story of Christmas Carol as she fulfills her mission.  Some of them serve to introduce the characters, and others to describe various game mechanics; but mostly they're just cute little scenes to reward and delight the player as he advances through the game.  Yet another idea taken from its Pac-Man roots. ;)

The cut-scenes have also been lauded for being some of the smoothest, colourful, most expressive, and all-around impressive sprite animations on the Intellivision.  The technology behind them may not be "pushing the ultimate boundaries of the hardware," but taken collectively the game did push the state-of-the-art in polish and overall quality of production in the Intellivision canon at the time (not counting the few critical bugs found -- which were all fixed, by the way!).  The scripted animated sequences were a big part of this.

So, without further ado, I present to you all, the introduction sequences of Christmas Carol vs. The Ghost Of Christmas Presents.

Enjoy! :)

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay, Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:12 AM.

#2 intellivotion ONLINE  

intellivotion

Intellivoted

• 2,736 posts
  • Time Zone Traveller

Posted Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:34 AM

is it time for a sequel?  :)

#3 carlsson ONLINE  

carlsson

Metagalactic Mule

• 7,857 posts

Posted Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:51 AM

It is time for a short story consisting of 5 9 10 11 12 13 14 chapters plus an epilogue. :-D

#4 DZ-Jay ONLINE  

DZ-Jay

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 11,488 posts

Posted Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:03 AM

It may be, but first I am deep in the middle of another related (although not Intellivision or retro-gaming) project ... :ponder:

It is time for a short story consisting of 5 9 10 11 12 13 14 chapters plus an epilogue. :-D

:lol:  You know, mate!  :thumbsup:

I don't know if it would be of interest to anyone in this forum, probably not; although I guess to those who played the game and have small children it might. :)

-dZ.

#5 m-crew OFFLINE  

m-crew

River Patroller

• 4,881 posts

Posted Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:40 PM

Carol and the Winter Warlock? Carol meets the Easter Bunny ? Carol saves Frosty ?

Yes a sequel would be great!!!

#6 DZ-Jay ONLINE  

DZ-Jay

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 11,488 posts

Posted Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:15 AM

Carol and the Winter Warlock? Carol meets the Easter Bunny ? Carol saves Frosty ?

Yes a sequel would be great!!!

Actually, the next one -- which is not even past design stage yet and goes behind other projects -- will follow the same whimsical fun with title puns.  It will be called:  Christmas Carol and The Resident Weevil. :o

:lol:

#7 carlsson ONLINE  

carlsson

Metagalactic Mule

• 7,857 posts

Posted Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:44 AM

Perhaps she will find some traces of Felix? :)

#8 DZ-Jay ONLINE  

DZ-Jay

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 11,488 posts

Posted Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:10 AM

Perhaps she will find some traces of Felix? :)

LOL! Cute!  I've never seen that before.  My concept is slightly different, though. ;)

-dZ.

#9 m-crew OFFLINE  

m-crew

River Patroller

• 4,881 posts

Posted Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:58 PM

Actually, the next one -- which is not even past design stage yet and goes behind other projects -- will follow the same whimsical fun with title puns.  It will be called:  Christmas Carol and The Resident Weevil. :o

:lol:

lol

Weevils Weevil but they don't Mess with The Christmas Carol? wait or will they... ;)

#10 carlsson ONLINE  

carlsson

Metagalactic Mule

• 7,857 posts

Posted Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:15 PM

If Carol goes to Venice, she could help the gondoliers find the lost barcarolle.

#11 intellivotion ONLINE  

intellivotion

Intellivoted

• 2,736 posts
  • Time Zone Traveller

Posted Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:35 AM

or she might go to the New World in search of the Carolinas

#12 DZ-Jay ONLINE  

DZ-Jay

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 11,488 posts

Posted Thu Nov 1, 2018 6:21 AM

or she might go to the New World in search of the Carolinas

She's already in the Carolinas, in North Carolina, of course, which befits someone from the North Pole.  She comes here for vacation in between Christmas Seasons. :)

-dZ.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users