My Apple IIGS just came in the mail, but I've got questions

Apple IIGS

30 replies to this topic

#26 H454 OFFLINE  

H454

Moonsweeper

• 489 posts

Posted Fri Nov 9, 2018 4:10 AM

So did some of the keys just not work on your first keyboard? Or was it totally borked?

If a couple of the keys work, I've had pretty good luck with cleaning early mac/ apple IIGS keyboards.

The IIGS boards have (I think) two different early styles of ALPS mechanical key switches.

I guess the one with orange/salmon ALPS are more rare/ desirable - something to consider when it might need repair in addition to cleaning.

Detox-it worked into some of these "bad" switches have saves many a bad keyboard.

#27 Polymorph OFFLINE  

Polymorph

Space Invader

• 42 posts

Posted Fri Nov 9, 2018 7:03 PM

Major update: the keyboard arrived a day early. Plugged it in and it works! I got into the control panel right away. At least I know my IIGS is (seemingly) fully operational without any problems. Now, can't wait to try with more RAM and the CFFA3000 when it arrives!

That is good news. I was beginning to suspect your ADB chip might have been dead (which would essentially mean getting a new motherboard).

Now that you have a working keyboard, have you tried running the self-test?

With the extra RAM and the CFFA3000, you will be a very happy camper. You should be able to run pretty much anything, although a few software titles pretty much require an accelerator (e.g. Wolfenstein 3D, some demo's) to play properly. Keep your eyes open though, as Plamen of http://www.a2heaven.com/ is in the process of developing a new accelerator for the IIgs.

Enjoy playing with your new machine!  :-)

#28 Zap! OFFLINE  

Zap!

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,736 posts

Posted Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:25 AM

So did some of the keys just not work on your first keyboard? Or was it totally borked?

If a couple of the keys work, I've had pretty good luck with cleaning early mac/ apple IIGS keyboards.

The IIGS boards have (I think) two different early styles of ALPS mechanical key switches.

I guess the one with orange/salmon ALPS are more rare/ desirable - something to consider when it might need repair in addition to cleaning.

Detox-it worked into some of these "bad" switches have saves many a bad keyboard.

It was totally broken, not even a single key worked. I wound up using it for parts, since my working one was heavily yellowed. I wonder what went wrong with it. Perhaps a blown capacitor somewhere?

#29 Zap! OFFLINE  

Zap!

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,736 posts

Posted Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:32 AM

That is good news. I was beginning to suspect your ADB chip might have been dead (which would essentially mean getting a new motherboard).

Now that you have a working keyboard, have you tried running the self-test?

With the extra RAM and the CFFA3000, you will be a very happy camper. You should be able to run pretty much anything, although a few software titles pretty much require an accelerator (e.g. Wolfenstein 3D, some demo's) to play properly. Keep your eyes open though, as Plamen of http://www.a2heaven.com/ is in the process of developing a new accelerator for the IIgs.

Enjoy playing with your new machine!  :-)

By self test, do you mean Ctrl-OA-OPT-Reset? I ran that and after a series of flashing,changing numbers, and tunes, it said "System Good" so hopefully that means that my system is 100% working.

Right now I just upgraded the old RAM board. I found cheap RAM and did it for like $20 shipped, so I now have 1MB plus the built-in 256. Eventually I'll get a 4MB card. I could always sell the old one.

Thanks you, and thanks for helping me! The system looks great, I can't wait to fully get the most out of it! Now I just need to order a joystick so I can get ready for the CFFA3000. :)

#30 Aunty Entity OFFLINE  

Aunty Entity

Space Invader

• 27 posts

Posted Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:47 PM

Did we discover the ROM version of this GS?  I didn't have anything GSOS on mine until my microdrive arrived.  I just discovered its a ROM0 and it won't run GSOS without a ROM1 upgrade regardless of memory.  So there's a possible spanner in the works. The WOZ was stock with a ROM0....

A

Edited by Aunty Entity, Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:49 PM.

#31 Zap! OFFLINE  

Zap!

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,736 posts

Posted Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:56 AM

Did we discover the ROM version of this GS?  I didn't have anything GSOS on mine until my microdrive arrived.  I just discovered its a ROM0 and it won't run GSOS without a ROM1 upgrade regardless of memory.  So there's a possible spanner in the works. The WOZ was stock with a ROM0....

A

Yes, it's a ROM 01, thankfully.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Apple IIGS

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users