IGNORED

Local Wal-Mart Suddenly has NO ATGames Hardware - Did Anything Happen?

Okay, this is PROBABLY just a weird local store thing, but...

A few weeks ago I went to a local Wal-Mart to pick up some stuff, and I noticed a huge section of "retro consoles" -- including all the new mini Flashback Blasts, the Capcom and SNK mini units, and other stuff.

I went to the local Wal-Mart today and discovered... nothing. All the ATGames stuff is gone, without trace or even a shelf tag. There are several of the $300 1upGames minicabs, but none of the plug-and-play stuff (other than a few NES/SNES Classics).

Did anything happen recently with regards to ATGames, or their relationship with Wal-Mart? Is this just a freak thing at the local store?

• Like 1

If it's anything like my local Wal-Mart, just go around to the next aisle. Was moved basically to the opposite side of the same shelves it was on, in order to accommodate something else (Which I can't remember what it is).

The arcade cabinet stuff grabbed a lot of the DVD space here locally, sadly. Hopefully they return after Christmas.

• Like 1

I can't speak to retro gaming specifically, but Wal-Mart is doing a lot of differing merchandising right now. As an example, some stores will have a limited selection of a product category while other stores will have a wider selection. Basically, it's a form of A/B testing. Lots of changes will surely be coming as Christmas comes though.

Edit: You can also use the Walmart app to find stores near you that have the AtGames stuff in stock.

Edited by bmadgames
  • Like 1

Maybe they caught wise and made room for newer product from other suppliers. Those little mini arcade cabinets of various size up to the big $300 beast eat up a lot of room.

People complain about ATGames, what I can't understand is why anyone would want to play those mini arcades. Those tiny screens and controllers are a pain to use. It really tarnishes the fun factor for me.

People complain about ATGames, what I can't understand is why anyone would want to play those mini arcades. Those tiny screens and controllers are a pain to use. It really tarnishes the fun factor for me.

I can think of a few reasons. One, they're small so they made nice shelf toys. Two, because they're small if they don't bug your hands or you have eye issues, are easy to pick up and play. Three, if you hate them and can work on a little soldering and kit stuff you can make a Pi out of them or put something in there far better. Four, they're cheaply had even if they only usually have 1-2 games on there. Once you get up to the 10" up models the controls then approach game pad if not big joystick (console, etc) size and comfort issues vanish but those tend to cost a good bit more.

ATgames stuff gets ripped on because for so many years it's not like they were even really trying especially with Sega fans so a solid rep was created and is sustained. Even if the Atari, Int and Coleco stuff had been fairly consistent on the good end, the Sega stuff just over shadowed it, and specifically Genesis, because their closed GG+SMS handheld is excellent. it may not be fair but years of people seeing really no improvement to things caused the problem so anything comes off seeming better as the negativity spread like cancer.

• Like 1

I think the question was about the little handheld arcade-style units. They seem to be made for dolls, not normal sized humans of any age. Cute or not, they're ergonomic disasters.

Yeah, but they make for cute shelf dressing at the office.

post-6333-0-06202700-1541174557_thumb.jpg

post-6333-0-38376200-1541174656_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I haven't looked this year,

But last year our Wal-Mart had 2 portables and only one SD Atari Flashback unit...Be still my beating heart...Where was the HD? Where were the paddles? Where were the Activision units? Even when they "had" ATGames stuff it wasn't really like they had it...Lots of shelf space used up and No Selection at all! They were never serious about carrying the stuff anyway...

The Tiny Arcade are also small enough to be compared in size to the Hallmark Galaga and Pac-Man of the past and this years Donkey Kong, and unlike those with a cheap plastic screen with a tiny light behind it with a small audio loop, these play the game, look the same otherwise really, and cost less too. So they'd make nice ornaments for a tree.

• Like 2