Photo

Today, Are There Any Careers In Atari 2600?

career job 2600

40 replies to this topic

#26 lingyi ONLINE  

lingyi

Star Raider

• 88 posts

Posted Sat Nov 3, 2018 10:16 AM

Read this article before giving opening an independent game store a second thought: https://www.polygon....ideo-game-store

In a nutshell, expect to lose money for years and even if you manage to survive, the margins are slim. 

#27 Keatah OFFLINE  

Keatah

Missile Commander

• 21,684 posts

Posted Sat Nov 3, 2018 10:21 AM

Apparently people don't shop much at mom-n-pop shops. So no big loss if they go away.

#28 atarilovesyou OFFLINE  

atarilovesyou

River Patroller

• 2,502 posts

Posted Sat Nov 3, 2018 10:45 AM

You can make the finest quality buggy whips in the world, but it's unlikely you can support yourself (let alone a family) selling buggy whips.

#29 lingyi ONLINE  

lingyi

Star Raider

• 88 posts

Posted Sat Nov 3, 2018 3:54 PM

Apparently people don't shop much at mom-n-pop shops. So no big loss if they go away.

The loss is that independent stores often cater to specialized markets. You can't walk into a Gamestop and buy anything pre-NES there. Sure, there's ebay or Craigslist, but not everyone is aware of what they have or are willing to offer what they have there, so sometimes perfectly good games or systems go into the trash. 

Even worse is that some chain stores will take in old games, systems and accessories (as a "courtesy to the customer"), then toss them in the dumpster. As discussed in another thread about why some independent stores don't offer certain older games and system, every square foot of store space/warehouse costs money and storing slow moving items is lost potential profit. 

#30 lingyi ONLINE  

lingyi

Star Raider

• 88 posts

Posted Sat Nov 3, 2018 4:07 PM

I'm reminded of that old joke: How to you get to Carnegie Hall? Practice, son, practice!

No matter how great your passion for and knowledge of the 2600 is, there's hundreds of others, many regulars here, whose passion and knowledge are far greater than yours and yet they fail (at least as is generally, publicly known) make a living of that passion and knowledge of the 2600, Atari, et. al. 

I always recommend fiverr.com as a good place to start researching if a particular skill you have has a potential market. You'll be surprised at how your unique idea is already being done by others. Of course you may be much better than they are or have a unique skill/spin that could make you stand out in the field. 

Interestingly I just checked and see someone in Venezuela is offering to make a 2600 style game for $20. 

Edit: The game is only for browser play. Still interesting though.

Edited by lingyi, Sat Nov 3, 2018 4:11 PM.

• jhd likes this

#31 lingyi ONLINE  

lingyi

Star Raider

• 88 posts

Posted Sat Nov 3, 2018 4:28 PM

If you're considering programming, read this thread about the difficulties and pitfalls of making money off 2600 homebrew games: http://atariage.com/...dont-have-roms/

Again, some of these programmers are gurus at the inner workings of 2600 code and few if any of them are making living off their 2600 skills. While there's probably a select few wunderkind that have been recruited to be a software engineer, the days of the true 2600 programming innovators (I won't list names, since I'm sure I'll miss someone) are long gone. 

BTW, your degree is in fine art, if you don't mind answering, why aren't you pursuing a career related to that? There must have been some level of passion for you to have pursued and excelled in a degree in that field. 

#32 Shawn OFFLINE  

Shawn

The Kraken

• 18,506 posts

Posted Sat Nov 3, 2018 4:32 PM

#33 lingyi ONLINE  

lingyi

Star Raider

• 88 posts

Posted Sat Nov 3, 2018 7:35 PM

Sorry for the flood of posts, but I'm genuinely concerned about your even asking if about making a career out of videogame (particularly 2600) passion and knowledge, particularly your asking if anyone is willing to offer you a job...doing what?

The way I see it, to succeed in a career or business outside of what you've been doing, unless you're willing to start from the ground up, which is likely to pay far less than what you're earning as a bartender, you have to have: a unique/really strong knowledge/skillset/insight to set yourself apart from the crowd. Rather than asking us what we can suggest to you, you should be asking yourself what unique/really strong knowledge/skillset/insight you have that would make someone want to hire you or you could develop into a business. 

For example, as a bartender for 8 years, you've probably developed skills (professional and personal, i.e. personality) and unique drinks that has allowed you to make a living off that for that time. Let's say it took you two years to get to the expert level you've attained. Well, there's always someone in the wings that has achieved your level in 1 year and if you were vying for a job against him/her, you likely won't get picked. It's reality of the competitive work marketplace. 

Edited by lingyi, Sat Nov 3, 2018 7:36 PM.

#34 MeatWithGravy OFFLINE  

MeatWithGravy

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 71 posts

Posted Sat Nov 3, 2018 9:27 PM

BTW, your degree is in fine art, if you don't mind answering, why aren't you pursuing a career related to that? There must have been some level of passion for you to have pursued and excelled in a degree in that field. 

I did have passion for art-making while I was in school. I applied myself and I learned a lot. My work was strong. And I enjoyed much of it. But, how shall I put this?

Asking why I'm not pursuing a career in fine art is kind of like asking why I'm not pursuing a jackpot in Mega Millions, unfortunately.

I'm not adverse to a long shot. But I'm hoping for slightly better odds. I guess Atari 2600 isn't that.

#35 knievel1 OFFLINE  

knievel1

Space Invader

• 37 posts

Posted Sat Nov 3, 2018 11:48 PM

I think it's cool that you ask this question. It is out of the box. 

What if? 

How about the awesome Art of Atari book? 

That guy probably made a little cash. And in a roundabout way Ernest Cline made millions off the 2600. 

There's money to be made in making people feel the way they want to feel. 

That's nostalgia. It's why most of us are here. 

#36 hizzy OFFLINE  

hizzy

Dragonstomper

• 924 posts

Posted Sun Nov 4, 2018 6:31 AM

There's also the Dynamite, the company that puts out Atari themed board games & comics. 

#37 lingyi ONLINE  

lingyi

Star Raider

• 88 posts

Posted Sun Nov 4, 2018 2:53 PM

I did have passion for art-making while I was in school. I applied myself and I learned a lot. My work was strong. And I enjoyed much of it. But, how shall I put this?

Asking why I'm not pursuing a career in fine art is kind of like asking why I'm not pursuing a jackpot in Mega Millions, unfortunately.

I'm not adverse to a long shot. But I'm hoping for slightly better odds. I guess Atari 2600 isn't that.

Thank you for your reply. I wish you luck in your new career search.

Keep your passion for the 2600 alive and start off with something related to your interest, and though you may not make or even lose money in the beginning, it may grow into something larger!

#38 thetick1 OFFLINE  

thetick1

Dragonstomper

• 644 posts

Posted Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:52 PM

Sounds like you want to get out of the bartender gig, but the first thing that came to mind is to run a Barcade. Put your art and design chops into designing marketing materials and maybe having tournaments and events to keep it social and fun?

Barcade is a huge success in the NYC metro.  Seriously, MeatWithGravy, you should contact them directly and ask them if they are looking to open in Long Island!  The ones in NJ and NYC have a big crowd of guys like me who drink craft beer and love to play.. Metal Slug, Dig Dug,  Millipede etc.... 

https://barcadejerseycity.com

Barcade_headersJC2018.jpg

The owner is often at the Jersey City location as that is the original Barcade.  Inside scoop: The owner is also a huge fellow Mappy fan so don't forget to mention and play Mappy as you will be loved by the owner!  Also the Barcads have the occasional Bring Your Kid weekends .. with no alcohol and lots of happy kids paying 80's / 90's arcade games.  Kids just love playing Rampage all together as threesomes.

FAMILY_WEEKEND_JC_SEPT18v2_800.jpg

Being the greedy bastard that I am ...a Barcade in central Westchester would be awesome!!. Hint Hint .  I'd be there as often as wife would let me.  

Full disclosure... I don't own or work at Barcade.  I'm just a very happy customer glad to spread the word.

Edited by thetick1, Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:08 PM.

#39 KappaGuy99 OFFLINE  

KappaGuy99

Star Raider

• 77 posts

Posted Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:24 PM

We've all heard it said, 'Do what you love, and the money will follow.'

I think that this saying is one of the biggest untruths that has been propagated in the postmodern West, at least as it applies to everyone in all circumstances.  In reality, this happens to a very select group of individuals, statistically speaking; the best of the best and/or the luckiest of the lucky.  I'm not saying that can't be you, but given your aforementioned MegaMillions analogy, I'm guessing you want to pursue something with better odds of success.

What is "success" to you in this situation?  Is it having more money or a more secure/stable income?  Is it having the possibility of growth/advancement?  Is it doing what you love regardless of the income, either because you're enjoying it or you're fulfilling some greater purpose within yourself?  That's important to determine from the beginning.

IMHO, you are asking one of the right questions.  "Namely, are there any careers in (things that interest me)?"

If you would like to bounce any of this off some random dude on the Internet who also likes Atari and went through career counseling about a year ago after being in the same line of work for 14 years, PM me.  I don't claim to have any of the answers, but I believe that if you ask the right questions, you'll find some of the answers you're looking for.

Good luck to you and don't stop asking questions.

#40 VectorGamer OFFLINE  

VectorGamer

Go Sleep In the Cold

• 14,887 posts
  • \m/

Posted Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:26 PM

Why is thread still going?

#41 Gemintronic ONLINE  

Gemintronic

Jason S. - Lead Developer & CEO

• 9,255 posts

Posted Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:53 PM

Why is thread still going?

Probably because the question is pretty nebulous.  I mean, there are people who develop games, publish games, sell retro items, manufacture carts, etc..  but, the original poster doesn't seem to have a focus.  You can't do all everything well.  But, there's not enough income to do just one thing.  So, no.  Don't ever do *just* 2600.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: career, job, 2600

1 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users