IGNORED

Season 8 ~ Week 5 ~ Track N Field

Vocelli

Since the bombs are so fast and frequent as to be nearly unavoidable, the only way to get a good score is to keep playing over and over until you get a lucky break with the bomb pattern and don't get wiped out by the first row. The upper rows are moderately dodgeable, but barely. To get 500+ you must hit the saucer.

To those that are worried about breaking their sticks with T-N-F, here's a tip (hopefully) that will help ease your fears:

It's all in the wrist. Rather than grab the stick and wildly slam it left and right with all your might, try using a shorter "flick of the wrist" type of movement. For me, it gives me a much faster speed (I've gotten speeds over 1300cm/sec consistently) using this method. Not only that, it doesn't wreck my arm after a game, allowing me to try again. Once you get that shorter, quicker method down, then it's just a matter of timing (on the long jump/javelin) to stopping at the right point and getting the perfect angle.

Another tip: Take your time. On the long jump, javelin, it looks like you have unlimited time to make an attempt, so rest up a little if you need to.

BTW, I'm using a CX-40. I have a couple slik stiks, but the buttons don't work on them, :(

• Like 2

Using my Xbox One controller, I had a bit more luck. But that damn hammer throw is going to be the end of me!

I use a 360 controller when I use an emulator. My poor analog stick! And my poor arm/wrist! Also, agree with the hammer throw! I finally got one where I didn't screw it up and thought the angle was decent... and still wasn't enough to continue!

Glad I started today and not the last minute. I can rest for a few days and try again. :)

post-46326-0-30173600-1541634749_thumb.png

Track & Field - Game 1 B/B (Arcade)

Played on: Retropie/cx40 via DB9 adapter/NTSC Rom

My top 5 arcade games of all time. Actually built a replica T&F cocktail cabinet years ago. Gr8 fun. BUT .. never played it on the 2600 :skull: . Gr8 port. Only played about 7-8 times to post the score. Quite amazing how relatively close it feels to the arcade based on the consoles ability. Felt like I'd played it before! Deteacher's earlier tip is spot on. Short shrows. I clamp the cx40 to the carpet with my left hand (using thumb and index finger), on the bottom left corner of the stick, and short throw wiggle the stick right at the tip. I press the button with my middle left finger. It's not my wiggle hand that is sore, but my left clamp hand!? Some good scores getting posted.

post-52250-0-01531700-1541658013_thumb.jpg

Edited by Spriggy
  • Like 1

For those that are struggling with the hammer throw, I'm a bit surprised as its by far the easiest event IMO

Try this:

-Move the joystick once to start the event - don't worry about the joystick again after this point - he speeds up on his own with each rotation

-He does 9 rotations, getting faster each time.

-Press the button on the 9th rotation when he turns orange and makes the sound.

-Any earlier than the 9th rotation and the throw will be under powered

-Any later than the 9th rotation and he will foul

-Sweet spot for the angle seems to be 40-45 degrees I think

You should be guaranteed a 90m minimum throw now, a rested arm, and a new favourite event!

If anyone can pass 95m please let me know what I'm doing wrong from above

• Like 2

For those that are struggling with the hammer throw, I'm a bit surprised as its by far the easiest event IMO

Try this:

-Move the joystick once to start the event - don't worry about the joystick again after this point - he speeds up on his own with each rotation

-He does 9 rotations, getting faster each time.

-Press the button on the 9th rotation when he turns orange and makes the sound.

-Any earlier than the 9th rotation and the throw will be under powered

-Any later than the 9th rotation and he will foul

-Sweet spot for the angle seems to be 40-45 degrees I think

You should be guaranteed a 90m minimum throw now, a rested arm, and a new favourite event!

If anyone can pass 95m please let me know what I'm doing wrong from above

Your strategy is spot on. 45 degree angle is best. Have you thrown farther than 92.80?

• Like 1

Improvement

Track and Field 1/B/B/Arcade: 81,710

Does anyone remember in the arcade version if you had too great an angle in the Javelin event, it would hit a bird :-o

I think you had to throw the javelin straight up. You would get 1000 extra points!

• Like 1