Photo

Tommy Tallarico’s: Mean message boards (Amico)

28 replies to this topic

#1 Rev OFFLINE  

Rev

A.K.A. Revolutionika

• 16,235 posts

Posted Fri Nov 2, 2018 9:07 PM

Funny video. Nice to take the haters head on. 😄

Edited by Rev, Fri Nov 2, 2018 9:11 PM.

#2 intvsteve OFFLINE  

intvsteve

River Patroller

• 3,200 posts

Posted Fri Nov 2, 2018 9:23 PM

Nice.

#3 MrBeefy OFFLINE  

MrBeefy

Stargunner

• 1,113 posts

Posted Fri Nov 2, 2018 9:35 PM

Funny video. Nice to take the haters head on. 😄

https://youtu.be/qPUMaSgtYTM

See this is the type of things that makes me want this to succeed. If the Atacobox could do this I might have more respect for them.

#4 youxia OFFLINE  

youxia

Dragonstomper

• 506 posts

Posted Fri Nov 2, 2018 9:52 PM

That's cool'n all, but the truth is he's shooting the haters fish in a barrel. I don't know what "hardcore message board" they picked those lame comments from  but they seem to me more of a reddit or /v/ standard teenage fare variety, fairly easy to deal with.

I look forward to a Part 2, where he answers more serious/difficult questions about this system.

#5 MrMaddog OFFLINE  

MrMaddog

Dragonstomper

• 838 posts
  • Not a 'gamer' but a video game player...

Posted Fri Nov 2, 2018 10:09 PM

Just the usual lame gamer kids pissing and moaning cause they can't play Fortnite on it...

Edited by MrMaddog, Fri Nov 2, 2018 10:11 PM.

#6 the1hatman OFFLINE  

the1hatman

Stargunner

• 1,117 posts

Posted Fri Nov 2, 2018 11:58 PM

That was pretty funny. While things were not nearly as inflammatory, a lot of the same issues were brought up in the Amico thread here on AA so I like Tommy's replies on some of these. I really don't get how anyone thinks this is crowdsourced though. They've only said about 100 times that there is no crowd funding of any kind involved. Do people just not listen or have any sort of reading comprehension anymore? 

#7 -^Cro§Bow^- OFFLINE  

-^Cro§Bow^-

Quadrunner

• 6,471 posts
  • Collector of Fine Atari and Sega Antiquities!

Posted Sat Nov 3, 2018 12:12 AM

Actually I think I recognize some snippets of those messages from the Sega-16 forums. The Amico isn't being looked at in a very good light over there. But I was forgiving them for their bias being a Sega branded site and forums after all.

#8 Keatah OFFLINE  

Keatah

Missile Commander

• 21,595 posts

Posted Sat Nov 3, 2018 12:20 AM

That was pretty funny. While things were not nearly as inflammatory, a lot of the same issues were brought up in the Amico thread here on AA so I like Tommy's replies on some of these. I really don't get how anyone thinks this is crowdsourced though. They've only said about 100 times that there is no crowd funding of any kind involved. Do people just not listen or have any sort of reading comprehension anymore? 

It's basically both. And pretty bad among hardcore gamers. It was hilarious how he put them in their place.

#9 Rev OFFLINE  

Rev

A.K.A. Revolutionika

• Topic Starter
  • 16,235 posts

Posted Sat Nov 3, 2018 8:31 AM

A lot of source material for the next video in this article.

https://www.gamerevo...olossal-failure

#10 MrBeefy OFFLINE  

MrBeefy

Stargunner

• 1,113 posts

Posted Sat Nov 3, 2018 8:45 AM

It's basically both. And pretty bad among hardcore gamers. It was hilarious how he put them in their place.

Yeah working in education I can tell you kids that read are becoming a larger minority. It is sad but the parents are the same way if you send out info through email.

#11 spacecadet OFFLINE  

spacecadet

River Patroller

• 2,911 posts

Posted Sat Nov 3, 2018 1:13 PM

I agree with most of that article.

There's being "mean" and then there's legitimate criticism. Just because somebody criticizes your product doesn't make them "mean" - maybe they even make some good points that you might (as the product's creator) want to listen to.

I get the feeling that Tallarico is one of those guys who's got such blinders on about his product that he can't see the forest for the trees. He has fallen in love with his idea. That's dangerous in any industry.

#12 Lathe26 OFFLINE  

Lathe26

River Patroller

• 3,708 posts

Posted Sat Nov 3, 2018 1:25 PM

I disagree with much of the article.

It's like they saw the pictures of the Amico and came to their own conclusions. Rather than address what the Amico is aiming for, they formed their own strawman arguments that are not based on reality.

What I'd like to see is someone take a serious look at what the Amico is is going to be and what Tommy is saying and provide criticisms of that.

#13 townparkradio OFFLINE  

townparkradio

Moonsweeper

• 426 posts

Posted Sat Nov 3, 2018 9:48 PM

Look, guys?  This thing is never coming out.  They'd be better off making those controllers for PC and an emulator for classic Intellivision games that put the right overlays on the touchscreen.  There are a thousand such Ouya-alikes.  The only thing this will have going for it is _the controller_.

We can build our own damn Pi box to go with it, we need that controller and a proper emulator.  Money dumped into modernizing Inty games is wasted money as of right now.

#14 Flojomojo ONLINE  

Flojomojo

SOMEBODY GET THIS FREAKING DUCK AWAY FROM ME

• 14,541 posts

Posted Sun Nov 4, 2018 7:52 AM

But just selling the controller presumes you have something to plug it into ...the whole point is that this is supposed to be quick and easy. Components are cheap enough it makes sense for them to want to own the whole stack.

As for whether it's a good business move, I have no idea. I agree it resembles OUYA in concept, but I've always liked the idea of OUYA. Plus, they delivered it under budget and more or less on time, with hundreds of indie games nobody played. Personally, I'd rather play these kinds of casual games on mobile.

They could do a lot worse than being another OUYA. http://atariage.com/...ations/page-105

#15 DZ-Jay OFFLINE  

DZ-Jay

Quadrunner

• 11,492 posts
  • The P-Machinery AGE is almost here!

Posted Sun Nov 4, 2018 8:54 AM

To me, the following excerpt from that article is evidence of the tone-deaf attitude of some critics, which suggests that Tallarico is on to something:

The young parents of today aren’t afraid of violent video games, or video games in general, the way parents during the Intellivision and Atari 2600 days might have been. Today’s young parents grew up with the NES and SNES, and their 10-year old Fortnite-loving kids were born after Metal Gear Solid 4 came out.

There are millions of young parents who are actually not fond of violent video games and do not want their young kids playing them.  That's the demographic that Tallarico seems to be aiming for, which according to him, everybody else is ignoring.

Whether that demographic is large enough and interested enough to adopt the console and help it succeed, is a big question at the moment.  However, just denying its existence completely, seems to me very short-sighted and wrong-headed.

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay, Sun Nov 4, 2018 8:54 AM.

#16 mr_me OFFLINE  

mr_me

River Patroller

• 3,526 posts

Posted Sun Nov 4, 2018 9:09 AM

Intellivision Entertainment would probably argue that one of the things they have going for it are all the new games, which we have yet to see. They could have made this thing a peripheral and online game store. But like Flojomojo said, they are targeting a different gaming market.

I also like the idea of open systems like ouya and steam but it seems like a closed system has a better chance of succeeding.

Intellivision fans do need controllers, but that's a very small market. I'm guessing, if this thing is successfull, Intellivision Entertainment will sell extra controllers. If they do, and they are not PC compatible, somebody will find a way to make them work. We still have to see what the final controller will look like and how effective they will be playing legacy intellivision games.

I'm not sure what the chances of them giving up before release in 2020 might be. I'm guessing it's low.

Edited by mr_me, Sun Nov 4, 2018 9:14 AM.

#17 blainelocklair OFFLINE  

blainelocklair

Star Raider

• 95 posts

Posted Sun Nov 4, 2018 9:42 AM

I admire anyone's passions for keeping our classic brands and games alive. I hope this one and others are well-executed and give us some new ways to love our favorite classic brands.

#18 Keatah OFFLINE  

Keatah

Missile Commander

• 21,595 posts

Posted Sun Nov 4, 2018 11:15 AM

One thing's for sure is I'm not interested in modernized remakes of old intellivision games. They didn't do well in the last kickstarter, and there are thousands like them on mobile platforms.

#19 mr_me OFFLINE  

mr_me

River Patroller

• 3,526 posts

Posted Sun Nov 4, 2018 12:37 PM

While I don't need to see another Astrosmash, I wouldn't mind seeing remakes of some old intellivision games that I consider somewhat broken. The ability to play the two player games over the internet will be nice. One of my concerns is that this thing will have mostly side scrolling platformers.

Edited by mr_me, Sun Nov 4, 2018 12:43 PM.

#20 Lathe26 OFFLINE  

Lathe26

River Patroller

• 3,708 posts

Posted Sun Nov 4, 2018 12:43 PM

Another market the Amico is going for is adults who would be happy with an easy-to-use console, without excessive violence, and without costing an arm-and-a-leg to get into.

Think of it as taking mobile gaming into the living room but eliminating the 1000s of shovelware games and removing the solitary nature of mobile gaming (but with the downside of being tethered to a TV).

#21 Flojomojo ONLINE  

Flojomojo

• 14,541 posts

Posted Sun Nov 4, 2018 3:28 PM

Of course, in two years, the flagship Nintendo console will likely be at least a little cheaper.

#22 MrBeefy OFFLINE  

MrBeefy

Stargunner

• 1,113 posts

Posted Sun Nov 4, 2018 3:53 PM

Of course, in two years, the flagship Nintendo console will likely be at least a little cheaper.

Very true.

#23 DZ-Jay OFFLINE  

DZ-Jay

Quadrunner

• 11,492 posts
  • The P-Machinery AGE is almost here!

Posted Mon Nov 5, 2018 4:37 AM

But it's a "flagship" console today; in two years there will probably be a new one that is just as expensive.

#24 Flojomojo ONLINE  

Flojomojo

• 14,541 posts

Posted Mon Nov 5, 2018 7:02 AM

If so, Switch will be cheaper, and will still have hundreds of games. No matter what happens, it will be hard to catch Nintendo.

#25 mr_me OFFLINE  

mr_me

River Patroller

• 3,526 posts

Posted Mon Nov 5, 2018 7:28 AM

Whether or not Intellivision Entertainment says it, both the Nintendo DS and Switch will be competitors. Do either come with a free game. Smart shoppers will compare the cost of games. Nintendo markets to the family friendly audience as well. There might be room for a second player in that market.

Edited by mr_me, Mon Nov 5, 2018 7:34 AM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users