I would like to start a thread about the current state of paddles, in the world of HD playing.
Here is what I know about the state of paddles as of Nov 3, 2018:
I would be really great if someone would report on the paddle functionality of the Retron77.
AtGames manufactured paddles, wired:
AtGames sells Atari replica paddles on their web site for $29.95 plus shipping. I own these paddles, they feel great and work perfectly with the 2600 and Flashback 8. As per the AtGAmes website they are compatible with many other flashbacks, but not the Flashback 9.
AtGames manufactured paddles, for Atari Bast vol 3, wireless:
These paddles will only sync to the enclosed dongle. They feel and work very nice. Unfortunately this dongle game system has many problems. I owned one, then returned it to Walmart.
- Sound: sometimes there would be no sound
- Sound: when the sound worked is was horrible. Pong with bad sound is not worth playing.
- Play: this system lacks difficulty left, and difficulty right switches. According to the AtGamesBlast web site the controller has difficulty switches, but in truth it does not!
- Game selection: there are only 13 cartridges emulated on the dongle, not 20 as advertised.
- 3 and 4 player games, according to my correspondence with AtGames if you want to play simultaneous 3 or 4 player games (black jack, video Olympics, warlords) a special set of paddles, made by AtGames, must be used, unfortunately AtGames sells no such paddles.
- Paddle games on this system work great, no lag, nice game selection
- Flashback 8 works with original Atari paddles and the AtGames paddles
- The Flashback 8 system can not play cartridges or additional games via SD card slot.
Flashback 9 (Paddles will not work with this system)
- According to a Youtube video posted by, "John Hancock" paddles do not work with this system.
- John Hancock states in this video that AtGames will release special compatible paddles. There is no mention of this on the AtGames website or in the intructions included with the Flashback 9 system.
Flashback 9 Gold (Paddles will not work with this system)
This system has a dedicated paddle games menu!
I own this system here are the Problems I found:
- Original Atari paddles do not work on this system.
- AtGames Atari replica paddles do not work on this system.
- The enclosed paper instructions simply state, "Please plug your paddle controllers into each controller port on the game console." This does not work.
- SD card paddle games do not work
- Before playing a paddle game there are instructions on the screen to plug the paddles into the console after the game starts, still the paddles do not work.
This is a big disappointment, the paddle games worked great on the Flashback 8.
Hopefully AtGames will release download to fix this problem.
There is no mention of special compatible paddles on the AtGames website.
There is no mention of special compatible paddles on the Flashback 9 Gold instruction sheet.