IGNORED

Offensive message from a seller

ianoid

Rare I get this kind of message. Seller claims he sent the items but then they never arrived. He was actually pretty cool and offered to replace them, although with different games- pretty much allowed him to substitute 2 crummy titles for a good one. I said ok. Everything arrived more than a month after the auction ended. I gave him + feedback with a 2/5 for shipping. I guess he was pretty bummed.

New message from: japanatronix (319)

Why did you rate me down on shipping time?

You paid for free shipping and I was not responsible for the lost package - YOU ARE. You chose not to pay for tracking.

As a a decent person, OI gave you 5 games instead of the 2 you bought - and many extras, and paid for tracking on top of everything else.

And then you go arpound and rate me down on ship time?

This is the problem with you white people and your white privilege.

Think about ehat you've done here and the kind of arrogant, ugly behaviour this was on your part.

I had a dispute with an eBay seller once, Pedro Games. He sold me a "CIB Tengen Tetris" with the licensed manual version instead of the Tdngen version. I eventually lost the dispute, however he started sending me emails to my paypal address, telling me I was stupid and should "consider suicide." I ain't gonna dig up the full email chain, but it's sad the lenths people will go.

Not cool. Either way, there are some scumbag buyers and sellers out there. I would try not to dwell on sexist / racist / anti-semetic / homophobic or otherwise hateful speech. It ain't worth your time.

• Like 2

Can someone let me know where i can pick up my white privledge? I think i missed my shipment.

White pieces always play first in Chess and Play of Go. That's about the extent of it.

Life is not always fair. People in general (white, black, hispanic, asian, native, male, female, straight, gay, bi, trans, christian, musilm, jew, bhuddist, hindu, wicca, aetheist, whatever) need to stop playing the race, gender, and/or religion card every single time they confuse their lack of entitlement for a perceived injustice... :roll:

Edit: Just researched the game of Go. Apparently black does move first in this game, which in many ways with it's chaotic movements, lack of structure, and adding rather than removing pieces, is the antithesis to chess.

• Like 3

Pedro was(is) a real piece of crap. I remember years ago he would get in all sorts of dust ups with NintendoAge on site and on ebay through members buying. He'd get nasty like you said with trying to push someone suicidal over the edge, race baiting, whatever. He'd also like to leave nasty feedback as revenge in a time when it was still possible and could stick using his so called excellent record and high sales on there to get some leeway with ebay blowing off the random disgruntled buyer. And it wasn't just limited to his one account, he had a few so he could manipulate sales prices upwards while also using some of those accounts to bid other product from people as cheaply as possible and if he didn't get it low enough, he'd then steal stuff out of the box of goodies and rat the seller out as a thief/con-man to ebay for selling a package without all the contents and typically demand a full or partial refund and try and keep the goods. It did work fairly well doing that as I saw enough complaints about his tactics, so there were times years ago when ebay would throw buyers to the wolves to keep heavy sellers happy. He started getting banned all over gaming forums and such in a time before facebook really took off and the others from web forums.

Rare I get this kind of message. Seller claims he sent the items but then they never arrived. He was actually pretty cool and offered to replace them, although with different games- pretty much allowed him to substitute 2 crummy titles for a good one. I said ok. Everything arrived more than a month after the auction ended. I gave him + feedback with a 2/5 for shipping. I guess he was pretty bummed.

New message from: japanatronix (319)

Why did you rate me down on shipping time?

You paid for free shipping and I was not responsible for the lost package - YOU ARE. You chose not to pay for tracking.

As a a decent person, OI gave you 5 games instead of the 2 you bought - and many extras, and paid for tracking on top of everything else.

And then you go arpound and rate me down on ship time?

This is the problem with you white people and your white privilege.

Think about ehat you've done here and the kind of arrogant, ugly behaviour this was on your part.

Um. If all this is true, then I would be angry too. I always use tracking for international purchases because they tend to get lost if it is not tracked. It sounds like you chose to not use tracking even though you had the option to do so at your own risk. Well, it looks like it got lost so you should be responsible for your decision not to use tracking. Blaming him for your choice to save money by not using tracking is not right.

Now the racist stuff is uncalled for, but I wouldn't be surprised if this happened to him before. That's probably why he blew his gasket.

In the end, I think both of you were wrong, so I would just drop it. (and make sure you use tracking for future international purchases! :-D )

• Like 2

Um. If all this is true, then I would be angry too. I always use tracking for international purchases because they tend to get lost if it is not tracked. It sounds like you chose to not use tracking even though you had the option to do so at your own risk. Well, it looks like it got lost so you should be responsible for your decision not to use tracking. Blaming him for your choice to save money by not using tracking is not right.

Now the racist stuff is uncalled for, but I wouldn't be surprised if this happened to him before. That's probably why he blew his gasket.

In the end, I think both of you were wrong, so I would just drop it. (and make sure you use tracking for future international purchases! :-D

The seller is responsible for an item that is paid for to arrive. It does not matter if it has tracking or not.

The use of tracking is more of a convenience for the buyer. As a seller on Ebay, it is recommended to use tracking. If there is any dispute over an item being delivered, tracking or registered mail is your only defense as the seller. If you do not use either you open yourself up to fraud where a buyer "claims" he/she never received a package and can easily walk away from an Ebay dispute with the item and a full refund.

Without question, tracking is on a seller, whether it is paid for or not.

• Like 3

I didn't blame him for anything. And oddly after my package didn't arrive he had copies of the same games (which were actually rather rare review copies, not released copies) minus the most interesting one to send me. It's hard to know if he even sent the first set. Or had them on hand in the first place. He was very communicative throughout the whole process. I made no demands and issued no blame and required nothing. I might have left neutral feedback anyway for the lost package. I didn't receive it, after all.

I merely marked him down on one of the the specific ratings. I didn't leave feedback changing negative or neutral. I didn't antagonize him or anything. As a seller, I would have expected that mark down as well. It's not like he's a power seller and this rating will affect his discount. I think he just flew off the handle when he should have exerted some self control.

• Like 1

The seller is responsible for an item that is paid for to arrive. It does not matter if it has tracking or not.

The use of tracking is more of a convenience for the buyer. As a seller on Ebay, it is recommended to use tracking. If there is any dispute over an item being delivered, tracking or registered mail is your only defense as the seller. If you do not use either you open yourself up to fraud where a buyer "claims" he/she never received a package and can easily walk away from an Ebay dispute with the item and a full refund.

Without question, tracking is on a seller, whether it is paid for or not.

Sorry, but I don't quite get this. Are you saying that if I offer an option for no tracking, and somebody chooses it, I have to pay the difference and choose tracking anyway? That's ridiculous.

The seller is responsible for lots of things, but the carrier's performance is not one of them so he definitely is not responsible for an item to arrive. Of course I do agree that on principle sellers should use only tracked deliveries, at least for anything more valuable. In my selling days anything over, say, 15 bucks would have only tracking option available. But if there is a no tracking option, and somebody chooses it, he should be wary of the risks and consequences - no matter if the non-delivery was down to a lost package or a dishonest seller.

• Like 2

Sorry, but I don't quite get this. Are you saying that if I offer an option for no tracking, and somebody chooses it, I have to pay the difference and choose tracking anyway? That's ridiculous.

The seller is responsible for lots of things, but the carrier's performance is not one of them so he definitely is not responsible for an item to arrive. Of course I do agree that on principle sellers should use only tracked deliveries, at least for anything more valuable. In my selling days anything over, say, 15 bucks would have only tracking option available. But if there is a no tracking option, and somebody chooses it, he should be wary of the risks and consequences - no matter if the non-delivery was down to a lost package or a dishonest seller.

If you want to be able to prove hat an item has arrived to a buyer, then yes! It is your responsibility as a seller. It really doesn't matter if you agree with this or not, that is the way Ebay is set up. As a seller you are responsible for delivery of the item, it's that simple. The only way to prove such delivery is tracking(which sometimes isn't even enough) or signature confirmation.

I have had tens of thousands of transactions on Ebay over the years. The carrier's performance is absolutely on the seller.

I am not arguing whether it is right or wrong, that's just the way the system is set up.

Edited by atari181
  • Like 1

Are you saying that if I offer an option for no tracking, and somebody chooses it, I have to pay the difference and choose tracking anyway?

Should sellers not provide tracking for a package, they do so at their own peril. eBay's policy on "item not received" claims is to rule against the seller when tracking was not or cannot be provided, should the buyer contest receipt. There's a choice, but the safest option to take is a no-brainer.

The seller is responsible for lots of things, but the carrier's performance is not one of them so he definitely is not responsible for an item to arrive.

Unfortunately, eBay doesn't fully agree with this position. One clear selling requirement is that items are to be delivered to buyers as described in the listing. When push comes to shove in the case of disagreement regarding fulfillment, it's in the best interests of sellers to take all reasonable precautions to record/track shipment and delivery and properly prepare packages against routine carrier (mis)handling.

Do shipping mishaps beyond one's control occur? Sure. Yet eBay verifies whether a package was ever shipped in cases of lost or unsent package claims through the presence of tracking. However sellers choose to handle shipment of their own sales should factor in potential risk in light of eBay procedure.

Not to mention, there's nothing more disturbing to a buyer who inquires about delivery status than a seller response of "I shipped it, but I have no idea where it is, and I can't give you a tracking number." :)

Edited by mumbai
  • Like 2

eBay generally sides with the buyer in most instances. The site has become very seller unfriendly in the last few years in the push to become Amazon.

Delivery Confirmation to the US is free from Canada, so when someone asks me about tracking, it usually refers to a registered, Priority or Express Mail package, which costs quite a bit more than letter post and is nearly always overkill. Delivery Confirmation is not tracking, but it will provide some weak tracking information.

I would not have posted this if I didn't think it was interesting, more than anything, that he flew off the handle and brought race into it.

I do believe in white privilege in the US. It is a divisive term, but it is real. It's not the fact that you are getting anything special, it's the sense of being denied normal opportunities and treatment. And the way that is and has been denied multigenerationally is so complex as to being a discussion I can't even begin to get involved in. And more broadly it's the about the overwhelmingly white male racial bias of the ruling class in the US. (I don't really like to talk about politics and I don't want to turn this thread into this type of controversy).

But to relate my honest feedback appraisal to white privilege is insane. And incredibly topical. And, to me, a sign of instability. I'd guess that the seller has other issues.

Delivery Confirmation to the US is free from Canada, so when someone asks me about tracking, it usually refers to a registered, Priority or Express Mail package, which costs quite a bit more than letter post and is nearly always overkill. Delivery Confirmation is not tracking, but it will provide some weak tracking information.

Delivery Confirmation is indeed tracking now, and several years ago the USPS officially renamed "Delivery Confirmation" to "USPS Tracking". There's no reason to pay for more expensive USPS services if you just need simple package tracking, and this includes sending anything to Canada and many other countries where "First Class International Mail" service includes tracking. This is all eBay and PayPal need to see to confirm a package was delivered.

..Al

I have had tens of thousands of transactions on Ebay over the years. The carrier's performance is absolutely on the seller.

I am not arguing whether it is right or wrong, that's just the way the system is set up.

I'm sorry but the statement that the "The carrier's performance is absolutely on the seller" is still completely ridiculous, since we all know that the process of delivering is beyond seller's control.

Now, it's possible that we are actually arguing semantics, because (I think) I do understand the point you are trying to make - that sellers should use tracked deliveries. Which is why I mentioned it in my post and there's really no need to launch into lengthy explanations as to why (that's re: mumbai's reply, and that "selling requirement" is clearly in regard of packaging quality and general state of the item anyway).

Obviously the way the "system is set up" is a bit hypocritical, one of the little ebay (not)fun quirks - if they really wanted to enforce the "it's on the seller" thing then there simply would not be a trackless delivery option available or there would be a clause regarding trackless. Also, they wouldn't mostly side with the buyer, seeing as they might be - and in lots of cases are - also dishonest.

But all this is fairly obvious, my main point is that if you are an honest person who is aware of how the system works, and choose not to pay for tracked delivery, then whatever happens later regarding the delivery is on you. I'm not saying that in regard to the OP, it's just a general observation.