After 5 years of hard work I'm extremely proud to present what we've just released at Silly Venture 2k18.
- requires The!Cart and a datasette
- works on unexpanded Atari 400 with 16k RAM or higher machine
- works on both PAL and NTSC machines, PAL recommended
- only uses passive ROMs and standard tapes, no external CPU, microcontroller etc.
- 384 x 232 pixels, full overscan display
- 50 frames per second, dynamically adapted on NTSC
- real voice audio from the "educational soft" left tape channel
- additional intro and outro part resulting in 5:35 total runtime
- 177 MB of raw video compressed to 41 MB of video using unique ANTIC hardware compression
- 29 MB uncompressed 16-bit PCM audio recorded on the tape
After 5 years of working on Bad Apple it was finished in September and then I had the idea to add the intro and outro. The past 6 weeks with Lucy and MotionRide made this the best this for me personally since I've created Silly Things and RGBA. The main part is it not important for me anymore - the intro and outro and the love that work that went into it are what make this an achivement for me personally.
- The first person who can name the reference on the final screen will get a free beer from me
- I plan to make actual tapes available via Retronics.
- Additional The!Carts can be ordered soon.
- A version with POKEY instead of tape is on the todo list, not sure it'll work out.