IGNORED

Druidarium, second place of Silly Venture 2K18

Yautja

I agree! But it is fun and graphics are good...hopefully enemy sprites will be multi-color in the final version too, at least some of them, maybe not the small ones...

Why multicolor. I'd say, it is a wise decision to use "ghosts" with one color, as they usually were white.

The WIP plays great and it's fun to go through.

I'd be even more astonished after seeing some parallax scrolling there.

because multi-color sprites look better than single color sprites, extra colors gives more definition, that's why...even with white ghosts the edition of another shade of gray or two will make them more defined and look better. As to ghost usually being white, to what exactly are you referring? other games? Movies? The only one color white ghosts I remember from games was way back in the 70's and early 80's when one color sprites was more common place.

because multi-color sprites look better than single color sprites, extra colors gives more definition, that's why...even with white ghosts the edition of another shade of gray or two will make them more defined and look better. As to ghost usually being white, to what exactly are you referring? other games? Movies? The only one color white ghosts I remember from games was way back in the 70's and early 80's when one color sprites was more common place.

I'm refering to the fact that the game runs on the Atari. The decision allows to have a lot moving objects around. It's already a lucky strike that the protagonist is moving this chilly..

I know it's just a WIP, I just want to make sure it's not the settings and OS, etc, on my end; Is everyone else getting a garbled title screen until it flashes the credits page, then a good title screen after that? Yes, I know it's not for NTSC and yes, I have a PAL computer here...

By the way, on the credits screen it does say "Druidarium" there...

Edited by Gunstar

Hm... no additional comment to the picture?

I'm pretty sure, it is some artistical thing, because the D is the only letter of two sizes.

There is the "I" in full size , followed by the "partial and smaller D" .

That larger and smaller "D" (or any letter) is just a presentation form when using all upper-case letters in a title, but still what a "capital" letter at the beginning. But there is NO letter "I" between the two D's, and the smaller D is not partial, it is a full D. -DRUD That is NOT a combined "I" and "D" it is JUST a letter D in a special FONT just like the larger D at the beginning. Proof being the letter "I" after the "AR" is totally different looking than your imaginary "I" in DRUD.

Edited by Gunstar

Looks like it'll be a great new game !

Background gfx is extra nice for 4+1 color charmode, all enemies in white and not moving up-down are example of perfect usage of PM gfx.

Best of all is huge map, and perfect scroll in all directions. Playing this on real Atari with proper joystick is a must. 50 fps fluid scroll with almost perfect jump-run mechanics is great.

For me this is one more proof that Turrican on A8 is a real possibility :)

Awesome Work KK !

• Like 3

I agree! But it is fun and graphics are good...hopefully enemy sprites will be multi-color in the final version too, at least some of them, maybe not the small ones...

I doubt it. IMHO the whole game is written around one idea: what if enemies were all single color ? If they were ghost and skeletons, it would be fine.

The rest is simple. Map from chars. All moving stuff from PMG. Some minor DLI to get more enemies. 1 missile used as beard, the other 3 actually used as missiles.

Add nice graphics, great animation, and you have neat little game, and simple (ie fast) to make.

• Like 4

Great background graphics, animations, and speed.

Would hi-res sprites really impact things much? Never the less, they look great, and you get that "pixely" charm.

And yes... real hardware, if you want to appreciate fast, smooth scrolling properly.

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 3

If the music is that important and they don't want to hurt it, just pump some sound effects for hits or whatever through GTIA.... not rocket science.. they could do it :)

to much either/or, need some both/more!

Edited by _The Doctor__

If the music is that important and they don't want to hurt it, just pump some sound effects for hits or whatever through GTIA.... not rocket science.. they could do it :)

The NES has hundreds of examples of using one of it's channels to play music and effects.

The effects just get prioritized and the music plays in that channel when there are no effects.

One example: in Super Mario Bros, the melody of the song plays in harmony when no

effects are needed. So when effects play, you still have the melody going, just in a single

voice. It works. Any number of approaches can be taken. With that much sound going on

most people will never notice it.

• Like 1

Are there any examples of this in a game? (I mean playing music on POKEY and sound effects on GTIA)

I'd like to hear how well it works.

I'm not a big fan of the "one or the other" theory. It makes the Atari look like it can't handle both,

which is a falsehood.

I always wondered why the GTIA wasn't put to some sound effect use if Pokey is using all four voices for music. The GTIA can do sound effects as good as a 2600 TIA at least!

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

Not sure if it doesn't interfere the gameplay, as the GTIA needs continuous writes for making noise.

Yeah, based on XXL's demos with GTIA music, I assumed there were some limitations.

I suppose it would depend on how simple the effects were. Most of the time, not much

is needed for an effect. Better to choose some other method mentioned above if GTIA

is not feasible for the duty. I ask the question still: has anyone tried it yet?