IGNORED

KiCad schematics and wirings

karri

Hi guys,

a few years ago we started on a project to get some easy hardware for hobby releases. I just updated the KiCad files in https://bitbucket.org/atarilynx

The files available:

The flash cart programmer.

This device requires an RaspberryPi to work. The code for it is in lynx/contrib/blankcart/programmer. You can read and write all Lynx carts with compatible chips. The KiCad design is in lynx/contrib/blankcart/LynxProgrammer.

It is possible to equip the cart with 1mm pogo-pins or with a real Lynx cart connector.

post-2099-0-18257500-1541595634.png

The original blankcart.

A typical home brew design. The PCB can be made thicker by adding a 3D printed cover. The PCB is the same size as the Lynx Cart.

A nice gimmic in this cart is the block select and AUDIN pins to be available at the top of the cart for interesting Lynx controlled devices. The flash is 512k and the eeprom can be from 64 bytes to 64 kbytes.

post-2099-0-04049600-1541595925.png

The current slim cart.

This cart is currently the heart of "Shaken, not stirred", "Flappy bird Testing" and others. It has 512k flash and the eeprom can be from 64 bytes to 64 kbytes.

post-2099-0-47729000-1541596130.png

The future massive cart.

This cart may be used for some giant games in the future. It has 2M flash and the eeprom can be from 64 bytes to 64 kbytes.

This is the largest cart a Lynx can access directly by using both read stobes and AUDIN as an extra chip selector.

post-2099-0-60632500-1541596276.png

All these carts exists and can be programmed with the programmer above.

• Like 3

That's so wonderful, thanks for sharing! All the tools are out there now for easy Lynx development, we would just need to get more developers on board now. Not that things aren't more lively than ever on the dev-side of things it seems. Maybe I need to start that pixel-wow for the Lynx for 2029 after all :grin: There's a lot of room for tiny Lynx graphics and stuff on 2MB!

Thanks for sharing these Karri. I'll share my cart connector designs once I verify it works with your board properly. If all goes well it should be a plug-in module so nobody has to ever take apart a Lynx to get the connector out.

• Like 1

PCB manufacture is completed, now the wait for shipping begins. The PCB is extremely simple, the trick will be with the small pogo pins and the spacer boards to keep the cart in place. I plan to use the PCB with the tracks as both the top and bottom initially, but will try a 3D printed shell in the future.

Karri have you salvaged the real cart connector from a Lynx to use in any of your boards?

post-54616-0-04563100-1542249361.png

I believe some of the earliest boards had real cart connectors, but prices on broken Lynxes had already then started to become ridicculously high. I was in luck and found a broken Lynx I from Spain for 20e and sent it to Karri. Here's a picture of mine (it's made by Karri though): http://atariage.com/forums/topic/236146-programming-the-lynx-for-a-living-blank-carts/?p=3315907

Edited by Turbo Laser Lynx