Photo

Do you have any new game purchasing or preorder habits for 2019?

Preorder 2019 2019 goals

8 replies to this topic

#1 CatsGamesWhatever OFFLINE  

CatsGamesWhatever

Combat Commando

• 4 posts

Posted Thu Nov 8, 2018 7:58 AM

With 2019 coming at us fast I have been thinking about some of my collecting goals for the new year.

One is being more mindful with my entertainment spending. I can definitely improve on my new game buying habits since new games where I live cost $91.97 cad or approx. $70 USD.

If you start preordering a lot of games it can add up fast! So I think I will try to limit myself to 2 preorders for 2019.

Here are some games on my radar for 2019/2020 (since release dates are sometimes sketchy) in order of importance:

1. Cyberpunk 2077 CE

2. Yakuza 3-4-5 Remasters

3. Cuphead (if it gets a physical release)

4. The Last of Us Part 2

5. Titanfall 3 or Respawn's New Star Wars game.

How about you do you have any tips or how do you handle buying new games?

Thanks

Edited by CatsGamesWhatever, Thu Nov 8, 2018 7:59 AM.

#2 digdugnate ONLINE  

digdugnate

Stargunner

• 1,897 posts

Posted Thu Nov 8, 2018 4:32 PM

as i've gotten older, i've curtailed my discretionary spending on gaming *significantly*- the main reason being that if i keep collecting shinies i simply won't have the time to play them.

unless it's a crazy sale or i end up with an unexpected windfall i really try to only buy one or two 'modern' games a year simply because the cost vs my ROI is not equal.  i tell myself to apply the same logic to my retro game collecting but i seldom listen.  ;)

Edited by digdugnate, Thu Nov 8, 2018 4:33 PM.

#3 Tanooki OFFLINE  

Tanooki

Quadrunner

• 5,293 posts

Posted Fri Nov 9, 2018 11:21 AM

I don't have any plans for 2019 really as Amazon killing their pre-order discount as part of Prime threw a wrench into things.  All I can tell now is that I will be buying notably LESS games thanks to that, and those that I do unless I know they're really something I'll get the money out of, will also be delayed purchases waiting to get that 20% off or better the hard way: waiting it out.

That said knowing what is coming I was interested in Doom Eternal, Metroid Prime, maybe Daemon x Machina, maybe FF CC if it's physical somewhere in the world, maybe FF9 depending on the same and/or price, New Super Mario U Deluxe is interesting as it's the only in the franchise I felt that controlled right, had the right physics, and looks/handled much like SNES Mario World so it actually was fun and not a bore or chore to deal with.  Other than that I don't know until I look more.  And of those games, Nintendo never lowers price so that's whatever, but the others, you know, wait it out or not depending on the game.

#4 travistouchdown OFFLINE  

travistouchdown

River Patroller

• 4,358 posts
  • Do the math!

Posted Fri Nov 9, 2018 1:42 PM

I only buy PS4/Xbone games if they are $15-$20 dollars, months or years after released.  So far many many great options to choose from.

I only buy Nintendo games at full price (because they never go on sale) if I reeeeeeeeeeealy want them and am sure i'm going to play it.

#5 Flojomojo ONLINE  

Flojomojo

SOMEBODY GET THIS FREAKING DUCK AWAY FROM ME

• 14,508 posts

Posted Fri Nov 9, 2018 1:49 PM

I try to only buy things that interest me and that I will have time to enjoy. Thus I skip most big console releases, but I like the freebies that come with Xbox gold and PlayStation plus memberships.

I try not to buy things that don't interest me just because they're on sale or are hyped by reviewers or popular.

I am not afraid to wade into certain kinds of free to play games, but I believe that if something is worth my time, it is worth my money, too.

I buy a lot of Humble Bundles despite my other rules, because the prices are damn good and there's often diamonds in there.

Honestly my health and happiness would be significantly improved if I just quit the whole scene altogether.

#6 -^CrožBow^- OFFLINE  

-^CrožBow^-

Quadrunner

• 6,461 posts
  • Collector of Fine Atari and Sega Antiquities!

Posted Fri Nov 9, 2018 4:11 PM

Cyberpunk 2077 is my most watched on my radar..

But I also pre-ordered the Grim Fandango physical release for the PS4 from iam8bit as well. Supposed to start shipping beginning of next year. 

#7 Video OFFLINE  

Video

Quadrunner

• 9,256 posts

Posted Fri Nov 9, 2018 8:20 PM

I used to buy anything and everything that interested me, especially once I got a good job. Last generation I decided waiting was usually better, especially with the increasingly hostile drm environment and the release of incomplete games becoming more and more rampant. (Let others be guinea pigs) This generation I've gone strictly to games I KNOW will interest me, but as I'm more short on time than ever before, even there in often not getting everything I love.

In many ways, as much as the current condition of games sux, it's in z way actually beneficial to me because it helps curb my acquisition of said games :D:P

#8 xenomorpher OFFLINE  

xenomorpher

River Patroller

• 3,066 posts

Posted Fri Nov 9, 2018 9:09 PM

I'm really only interested in Resident Evil 2 Remake for next year since I have a feeling Death Stranding is going to be released in 2020. Doom Eternal is on my watch list though too, but I'm more excited for RE2R because it's one of those things I didn't think Capcom would ever do.

#9 Austin ONLINE  

Austin

Quadrunner

• 12,786 posts

Posted Yesterday, 8:43 PM

1. Doom Eternal
2. Doom Eternal
3. Doom Eternal
4. Doom Eternal
5. Doom Eternal

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users