A *NEW* TI Screensaver...

31 replies to this topic

#26 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

HexaCoreRunner

• Topic Starter
  • 13,027 posts

Posted Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:52 AM

Shudder?  Why's that?  That's a big part of my hobby joy!

Too time consuming!  

For example if I wanted to get anything off of a 5.25" floppy, I'd have to...

1) Disconnect my primary P-Box and unplug the 3.5" from it.

2) Hookup my secondary P-Box and plug the 3.5" into it.

3) Insert the diskette, copy the data to the 3.5" diskette.

4) Disconnect the secondary P-Box, remove the 3.5" drive.

5) Re-connect my primary P-Box and the 3.5" drive.

6) Copy the data from the 3.5" to the TIPI or Lotharek HxC.

Of course this after waiting who knows how long for the the U.S. Snail Mail to deliver the thing.

Now starting from a 3.5" would eliminate a bunch of steps, but it would be far easier, logical and practical to just download the thing and stuff it on the TIPI.  That procedure would take less than a two minutes tops, and that would be if I was taking my sweet time, rather than a week or more futzing with a physical disk.

Sure, I know different people enjoy different aspects of the hobby, and I can understand the nostalgia of physical drives.  While I like retro-computing with my TI, there are two things I PERSONALLY cannot abide:

1) Old, slow, clunky diskette drives.

2) Old fuzzy display technology.

YMMV

#27 EKMELSOFT OFFLINE  

EKMELSOFT

Space Invader

• 13 posts

Posted Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:57 AM

Ok Ok I am not dead yet.   I still program and yes I use a real TI and sell my programs on real 5 1/4 disks.   You have my permission to copy and give out any of my programs no charge - but I keep coding copywrite.   I have a few ideas in the forge I am hoping to get done by next year Chicago Faire.   Gregg Lemke  -- AKA  Lem

#28 FarmerPotato OFFLINE  

FarmerPotato

Chopper Commander

• 144 posts

Posted Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:00 AM

Too time consuming!  

Of course this after waiting who knows how long for the the U.S. Snail Mail to deliver the thing.

Now starting from a 3.5" would eliminate a bunch of steps, but it would be far easier, logical and practical to just download the thing and stuff it on the TIPI.  That procedure would take less than a two minutes tops, and that would be if I was taking my sweet time, rather than a week or more futzing with a physical disk.

Sure, I know different people enjoy different aspects of the hobby, and I can understand the nostalgia of physical drives.  While I like retro-computing with my TI, there are two things I PERSONALLY cannot abide:

YMMV

Speaking of old diskette drives,

Opry99 has the quietest Mitsumi half-height drive I have ever used. It was a D503. I thought it was quiet attached to the P-Box.

But when we had the P-Box turned off, and the drive was attached to a modern laboratory bench supply and Kryoflux, it became ninja-like in its stealth, silently sucking 223 mA of  12V and slurping DSSD floppies faster than I could put them back in their sleeves.

It's a pleasure to find the best of 1980s technology perfectly tuned.

Edited by FarmerPotato, Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:02 AM.

#29 Vorticon OFFLINE  

Vorticon

River Patroller

• 3,395 posts

Posted Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:48 PM

Too time consuming!  

YMMV

Whatever floats your boat my friend. I'm definitely with Owen on this one. I mean this guy still produces software on cassettes and has the balls to demo the full loading at the Faire. And we all tremendously enjoyed the trip down memory lane to boot!!!

#30 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

HexaCoreRunner

• Topic Starter
  • 13,027 posts

Posted Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:58 PM

Whatever floats your boat my friend. I'm definitely with Owen on this one. I mean this guy still produces software on cassettes and has the balls to demo the full loading at the Faire. And we all tremendously enjoyed the trip down memory lane to boot!!!

Yep!  Everyone has personal preferences, different skill levels and other likes and wants.  I always get a charge out of Owens enthusiasm when it comes to the cassette stuff myself and take note of how positively they are received by the community.

I had the trip down memory lane a few months back with B-1 Bomber on cassette thanks to Airshack.  

#31 Opry99er ONLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• 9,981 posts

Posted Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:59 PM

Speaking of old diskette drives,

Opry99 has the quietest Mitsumi half-height drive I have ever used. It was a D503. I thought it was quiet attached to the P-Box.

But when we had the P-Box turned off, and the drive was attached to a modern laboratory bench supply and Kryoflux, it became ninja-like in its stealth, silently sucking 223 mA of  12V and slurping DSSD floppies faster than I could put them back in their sleeves.

It's a pleasure to find the best of 1980s technology perfectly tuned.

I'm glad it worked for you! Thank you for taking such good care of it. It is by far my favorite drive I've ever had. I wish I had 3 more of them.

#32 Opry99er ONLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• 9,981 posts

Posted Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:02 PM

I'm glad you enjoyed. I almost didn't do the CS1 load... I'm glad I did though. :)

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users