Photo

CollectorVision Phoenix Pre-Order is now live!

FPGA Phoenix CollectorVision ColecoVision Atari2600

231 replies to this topic

#226 SegaShooters OFFLINE  

SegaShooters

Chopper Commander

• 119 posts

Posted Sat Apr 6, 2019 2:12 PM

Question regarding the Phoenix system:

Will it run all of the Super Game ROM images from an SD card?

#227 retroillucid ONLINE  

retroillucid

Quadrunner

• 8,160 posts

Posted Sat Apr 6, 2019 2:31 PM

Yes, although we strongly suggest to support the publishers (Opcode, Team Pixelboy et..) 

#228 Bmack36 ONLINE  

Bmack36

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 670 posts

Posted Sat Apr 6, 2019 2:41 PM

It depends on the game size. The Phoenix only has 500k sram. Also some games have no known dumps. But it should run all games from cartridge.

Edited by Bmack36, Sat Apr 6, 2019 2:42 PM.

#229 Mike Harris OFFLINE  

Mike Harris

Chopper Commander

• 224 posts

Posted Sat Apr 6, 2019 4:33 PM

Yes, although we strongly suggest to support the publishers (Opcode, Team Pixelboy et..) 

How about the original Super Game that the "publishers" altered to run in cartridge format.

It would be great to run those as well.

#230 SegaShooters OFFLINE  

SegaShooters

Chopper Commander

• 119 posts

Posted Sun Apr 7, 2019 12:38 PM

That's great.

I have bought several Super Games from Pixelboy over the years.

But it will be nice (and convenient) to be able to play those Super Games (via ROM on SD card) on the Phoenix.

#231 Loafer OFFLINE  

Loafer

Star Raider

• 60 posts

Posted Tue Apr 9, 2019 6:59 PM

It depends on the game size. The Phoenix only has 500k sram. Also some games have no known dumps. But it should run all games from cartridge.

To my uninformed mind, this doesn't make sense. Isn't the SD card and the roms sitting on them simulating a cart? Why would the game size matter on SD card but not from cartridge? I own the old atarimax 132-1 cart, so I get why we can't place roms larger than 32k on there but this isn't a cart having to deal with limited bank slots, it's an SD card potentially containing a perfect rom dump of a real cart. I would hope the design of the phoenix doesn't contain any limitations in this regard.

For the record, I'm a digital type guy, don't care about new carts. That doesn't mean I don't care about the homebrew market. My growing C64 homebrew digital collection is proof of that, so hopefully no one is getting any ideas that I'm suggesting otherwise, it's actually totally irrelevant to my tech question ;)

#232 mr_me OFFLINE  

mr_me

River Patroller

• 4,077 posts

Posted Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:41 AM

It would be very difficult to emulate a cartridge with an sd-card. The rom file has to be copied to memory that's compatible with the colecovision data/address bus. The atarimax multi-cart does the same thing and also has a 512kB limitation. You could add another 512kB sram chip but that also makes it more expensive.

Edited by mr_me, Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:04 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: FPGA, Phoenix, CollectorVision, ColecoVision, Atari2600

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users