Photo

CollectorVision Phoenix Pre-Order is now live!

FPGA Phoenix CollectorVision ColecoVision Atari2600

175 replies to this topic

#151 imstarryeyed OFFLINE  

imstarryeyed

Dragonstomper

• 596 posts

Posted Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:13 PM

Oy, every time we get new screenshots of the Phoenix it just seems to get better and better.. The excitement for me is growing, an excitement I have not felt about gaming for decades.  The Phoenix and the Omni are the two things in the video game world that have me most interested.

I love the idea of remade Colecovision games done in Phoenix format, that BC pic looked amazing and exactly where I yearned games would go back to, a simple style that is fun to look at and play without trying to make it look blocky "8 bit" like you see littered everywhere.

#152 Twin_power OFFLINE  

Twin_power

Chopper Commander

• 132 posts

Posted Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:14 PM

This reminded me though of a 2 disk star trek game I programmed in the 80's that only about 5 people ever seen for sanyo mbc 550. I might have to dig that out and make a video. Wonder if it would be hard to convert over. was 2 - 360kb disks

I'd enjoy seeing that video.

#153 Vectorman OFFLINE  

Vectorman

Chopper Commander

• 247 posts

Posted Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:35 PM

So there isn't any MSX compatibility like originally advertised? 

#154 killersquirel OFFLINE  

killersquirel

Dragonstomper

• 770 posts

Posted Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:20 PM

So there isn't any MSX compatibility like originally advertised? 

They always mentioned that the other cores would come after launch.

#155 retroillucid OFFLINE  

retroillucid

Quadrunner

• 8,094 posts

Posted Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:46 PM

They always mentioned that the other cores would come after launch.

Correct

#156 killersquirel OFFLINE  

killersquirel

Dragonstomper

• 770 posts

Posted Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:57 PM

This may have been asked before, but is the early access black color or the adam color?

#157 Bmack36 OFFLINE  

Bmack36

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 638 posts

Posted Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:59 PM

This may have been asked before, but is the early access black color or the adam color?

Early Access purchasers can choose which one they want.

#158 jblenkle OFFLINE  

jblenkle

River Patroller

• 4,783 posts

Posted Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:09 PM

I am somewhat curious about the ADAM Computer core that is being developed. I hope whoever is doing it is knowledgeable  about the machine and it won't just be based off something like the ADAMem emulator which is available (and has its shortcomings). Since the Phoenix will allow you to hookup a keyboard, it can basically become a replacement for the ADAM, but there are several things I would consider important to include.

1.) It needs to support two disk and two data drives and have the ability for you to "swap" disks (or data pack) images. If you run an application, you don't really want to save your work back to that disk or ddp, so the ability to swap our that disk or ddp for a "blank" one is important.

2. Steve Pitman's "Virtual ADAM", the front end for ADAMem, allows you to actually "print" documents, although this feature might be unknown to some people. If you use SmartWriter or another application to print your work in Virtual ADAM, the document is actually printed to a text file. Clicking on the picture of the printer that is displayed within the emulator brings up a directory of the files you have printed. This would be another nice feature for the Phoenix ADAM core.

#159 retroillucid OFFLINE  

retroillucid

Quadrunner

• 8,094 posts

Posted Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:14 PM

I am somewhat curious about the ADAM Computer core that is being developed. I hope whoever is doing it is knowledgeable  about the machine and it won't just be based off something like the ADAMem emulator which is available (and has its shortcomings). Since the Phoenix will allow you to hookup a keyboard, it can basically become a replacement for the ADAM, but there are several things I would consider important to include.

1.) It needs to support two disk and two data drives and have the ability for you to "swap" disks (or data pack) images. If you run an application, you don't really want to save your work back to that disk or ddp, so the ability to swap our that disk or ddp for a "blank" one is important.

2. Steve Pitman's "Virtual ADAM", the front end for ADAMem, allows you to actually "print" documents, although this feature might be unknown to some people. If you use SmartWriter or another application to print your work in Virtual ADAM, the document is actually printed to a text file. Clicking on the picture of the printer that is displayed within the emulator brings up a directory of the files you have printed. This would be another nice feature for the Phoenix ADAM core.

Our programmer know his stuff, so there's no worries to have here
Yes, the plan is to have the keyboard support
No, you won't be able to print anything out of it, why would you anyway?

#160 jblenkle OFFLINE  

jblenkle

River Patroller

• 4,783 posts

Posted Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:22 PM

There are lots of disk images with SmartWriter files, instructions, and other documents on them.

Our programmer know his stuff, so there's no worries to have here
Yes, the plan is to have the keyboard support

#161 retroillucid OFFLINE  

retroillucid

Quadrunner

• 8,094 posts

Posted Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:40 PM

There are lots of disk images with SmartWriter files, instructions, and other documents on them.

I'm aware of that, but still..... what's the point of using those nowadays? 

#162 jblenkle OFFLINE  

jblenkle

River Patroller

• 4,783 posts

Posted Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:57 PM

You sir, are obviously not an original ADAM owner. All these documents are like holy scriptures and ancient writings to us. They are to be treasured.

But...not a deal breaker...I will still order a Phoenix within the next month or so.

I'm aware of that, but still..... what's the point of using those nowadays? 

#163 retroillucid OFFLINE  

retroillucid

Quadrunner

• 8,094 posts

Posted Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:06 PM

You sir, are obviously not an original ADAM owner. All these documents are like holy scriptures and ancient writings to us. They are to be treasured.

But...not a deal breaker...I will still order a Phoenix within the next month or so.

I do own an ADAM, but I didn't had one back in the days, I grew up with a 286 

If those documents are gold to ADAM fans, why aren't you printing them with your actual ADAM daisy wheel printer?
There's much more better way to preserve those documents than having the possibility to print them using the Phoenix

Edited by retroillucid, Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:06 PM.

#164 jblenkle OFFLINE  

jblenkle

River Patroller

• 4,783 posts

Posted Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:21 PM

Printer ribbons are scarce these days...when I find something of interest, I print it using Virtual ADAM on my laser printer.

I'm an original ADAM owner, but still learning things after 30+ years.

The Phoenix doing anything "ADAM" will be welcome!!!

I do own an ADAM, but I didn't had one back in the days, I grew up with a 286 

If those documents are gold to ADAM fans, why aren't you printing them with your actual ADAM daisy wheel printer?
There's much more better way to preserve those documents than having the possibility to print them using the Phoenix

#165 retroillucid OFFLINE  

retroillucid

Quadrunner

• 8,094 posts

Posted Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:26 PM

Printer ribbons are scarce these days...when I find something of interest, I print it using Virtual ADAM on my laser printer.

I'm an original ADAM owner, but still learning things after 30+ years.

The Phoenix doing anything "ADAM" will be welcome!!!

Anyway, I think you guys should just print those documents, scans them and make a PDF out of those
Voilà!  Preserved! :) 

#166 NIAD OFFLINE  

NIAD

Quadrunner

• 6,211 posts

Posted Fri Feb 1, 2019 5:46 PM

Retroillucid... if the person who would be or might be developing the Adam core for the Phoenix needs any help or suggestions, please let me know. I would also recommend that he contacts Geoff Oltmans seeings as he has done a lot of work over the years improving Adamem as well as adding new features and hardware support.

#167 NIAD OFFLINE  

NIAD

Quadrunner

• 6,211 posts

Posted Fri Feb 1, 2019 5:50 PM

I understand what Joe is saying re. a print option and hopefully something could be worked out. If not, thankfully there are numerous ways to access these files or convert them for use with DOS and Windows programs. Where there is a will or a need, there is a way.

#168 retroillucid OFFLINE  

retroillucid

Quadrunner

• 8,094 posts

Posted Fri Feb 1, 2019 6:04 PM

Retroillucid... if the person who would be or might be developing the Adam core for the Phoenix needs any help or suggestions, please let me know. I would also recommend that he contacts Geoff Oltmans seeings as he has done a lot of work over the years improving Adamem as well as adding new features and hardware support.

Sounds good, I'll put you in contact with him once we're ready 
Thanks! :) 

#169 retroillucid OFFLINE  

retroillucid

Quadrunner

• 8,094 posts

Posted Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:45 PM

Little update:

We've received the first batch of Phoenix system's shells

They came up pretty well! 

Right now, we're currently working on the console's stickers:

- CollectoVision Phoenix (Black unit) 
The stickers will match the ones on the stock ColecoVision system

- CollectorVision Phoenix (Beige ADAM unit) 
The stickers will match the ones on the ADAM Computer

We'll post pictures of both unit with their stickers ASAP 

The best is yet to come!

#170 killersquirel OFFLINE  

killersquirel

Dragonstomper

• 770 posts

Posted Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:09 AM

I have a question for the game wafer pack series. What is the timeline for these games? Will there be some available when the console has the full rollout in June/July? Can you let us know which games you are working on in this series? 

#171 Pixelboy OFFLINE  

Pixelboy

Quadrunner

• 8,161 posts

Posted Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:27 AM

Little update:

We've received the first batch of Phoenix system's shells
They came up pretty well! 

Right now, we're currently working on the console's stickers:

- CollectoVision Phoenix (Black unit) 
The stickers will match the ones on the stock ColecoVision system

- CollectorVision Phoenix (Beige ADAM unit) 
The stickers will match the ones on the ADAM Computer

We'll post pictures of both unit with their stickers ASAP 

The best is yet to come!

So how's the hardware under the hood coming along? Is it considered finalized, or are there any kinks left to iron out?

#172 retroillucid OFFLINE  

retroillucid

Quadrunner

• 8,094 posts

Posted Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:59 PM

So how's the hardware under the hood coming along? Is it considered finalized, or are there any kinks left to iron out?

Coming very well!
One of the programmers told me that firmware is now flashabble and stable 

It's just a matter of time before we presents the final unit :)

#173 retroillucid OFFLINE  

retroillucid

Quadrunner

• 8,094 posts

Posted Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:00 PM

I have a question for the game wafer pack series. What is the timeline for these games? Will there be some available when the console has the full rollout in June/July? Can you let us know which games you are working on in this series? 

One of them is Venture DX (Deluxe)
I should post more informations about the Wafer Series next Spring  

Edited by retroillucid, Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:01 PM.

#174 Mike Harris OFFLINE  

Mike Harris

Chopper Commander

• 174 posts

Posted Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:25 PM

I'll buy once an actual product exists as long as it will run everything ADAM.

If I did have one request it would be to be able to place a rom on an SD card and run it directly without having to inject it into some program like copycart.

I've been finding that developing a rom on a real ADAM to be quite the pain.

Edited by Mike Harris, Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:27 PM.

#175 Loafer OFFLINE  

Loafer

Star Raider

• 55 posts

Posted Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:50 AM

That's a good idea they could do this with any Adam or colecovision game by just creating a folder called "autoload" and enable an autoboot on whatever rom the user plays in there.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: FPGA, Phoenix, CollectorVision, ColecoVision, Atari2600

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users