Fun Projects for Your Atari 8-Bit Computer

9 replies to this topic

#1 scitari OFFLINE  

scitari

Star Raider

• 61 posts
  • Keeping bit real

Posted Thu Nov 8, 2018 7:42 PM

I have been quietly working on a web page called Atari Projects that presents small projects for Atari 8-bit computers that can be completed in 15-60 mins (a few longer). My goal is to make it easy for Atari owners to have fun with their machines. Each post is self-contained and a kind of how-to with step-by-step instructions. The web page was featured in the news section (at time 48 mins) of the ANTIC Atari podcast (episode 54). The cat is now out of the bag. Thanks to the ANTIC crew for the mention. Let me know if you have project ideas. There are about 30 posts there now. I hope to make it to at least 50 posts.

#2 sanny OFFLINE  

sanny

Moonsweeper

• 326 posts

Posted Fri Nov 9, 2018 11:07 AM

I watched the "Computer Games" link of the "Computer Chronicles" page. Nice stuff. That were the times...

#3 256 colors ONLINE  

256 colors

Chopper Commander

• 127 posts

Posted Fri Nov 9, 2018 11:32 AM

How about some robotics programs or projects?

#4 jowi OFFLINE  

jowi

Space Invader

• 39 posts

Posted Fri Nov 9, 2018 12:34 PM

I've been reading this forum for about 2 weeks now :) so i got a lot of catching up to do... i've already seen a lot of programs, hardware mods and SIO addons, but what i don't see is hardware to interface with, expansion boards with analog and/or digital in/outputs. I would like to use my 600XL as a sort of Arduino... anyone got a link to such hardware?

#5 scitari OFFLINE  

scitari

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 61 posts
  • Keeping bit real

Posted Fri Nov 9, 2018 4:58 PM

How about some robotics programs or projects?

I have an Axlon Andy robot and am definitely planning a post on him. I also want to do some modern robotics with the Atari. Have been looking into that but it isn't easy.

#6 Allan OFFLINE  

Allan

Quadrunner

• 6,219 posts

Posted Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:19 AM

Maybe an article on scanning your Atari 8-bit documents, boxes, media, etc. and posting them to Archive.org. I can give you some tips on this if you want.

Allan

#7 scitari OFFLINE  

scitari

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 61 posts
  • Keeping bit real

Posted Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:50 AM

Maybe an article on scanning your Atari 8-bit documents, boxes, media, etc. and posting them to Archive.org. I can give you some tips on this if you want.

Allan

Great idea! I will add that to the list.

#8 Gunstar OFFLINE  

Gunstar

Gunstar

• 9,517 posts

Posted Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:40 AM

I have an Axlon Andy robot and am definitely planning a post on him. I also want to do some modern robotics with the Atari. Have been looking into that but it isn't easy.

Analog issues 44 and 45 have a 2 part article about connecting a RadioShack Armitron robot arm to your Atari...part 1 is for all Atari's, part 2 requires 3-joystick ports so limited to 400/800 machines...unless it can be modified to use a multi-joy...

I'm actually going to start a DIY robot project in the near future, combining the guts of Andy robot along with an Armitron or similar, and a 400 mobo into a new robot chasis for a totally independent robot that can actually do stuff!

#9 scitari OFFLINE  

scitari

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 61 posts
  • Keeping bit real

Posted Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:28 PM

Analog issues 44 and 45 have a 2 part article about connecting a RadioShack Armitron robot arm to your Atari...part 1 is for all Atari's, part 2 requires 3-joystick ports so limited to 400/800 machines...unless it can be modified to use a multi-joy...

I'm actually going to start a DIY robot project in the near future, combining the guts of Andy robot along with an Armitron or similar, and a 400 mobo into a new robot chasis for a totally independent robot that can actually do stuff!

Sweet! Be sure and post updates.

#10 slx OFFLINE  

slx

Stargunner

• 1,551 posts

Posted Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:23 PM

I have been quietly working on a web page called Atari Projects that presents small projects for Atari 8-bit computers that can be completed in 15-60 mins (a few longer). 

Your page is great! Thanks for compiling this. Might be able to persuade my (sometimes) Atari-using son to try some of your ideas.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users