IGNORED

How to clean your connectors

Gummy Bear

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Isn't the connectors brass ? What I do with all my NES games... Pull them apart (screws easy to access on the back). polish the connectors with Brasso. They come out with a mirror finsih. I do a follow up with some rubbing alcohol, to clean up any left over mess.

You know, I have not needed to "blow" into a NES cart for years... but, after the new 72 pin connector, not a single dirty cart is allowed in the system. It must be cleaned and polished before it can be played on that system

Isn't the connectors brass ? What I do with all my NES games... Pull them apart (screws easy to access on the back). polish the connectors with Brasso. They come out with a mirror finsih. I do a follow up with some rubbing alcohol, to clean up any left over mess.

You know, I have not needed to "blow" into a NES cart for years... but, after the new 72 pin connector, not a single dirty cart is allowed in the system. It must be cleaned and polished before it can be played on that system

No, they are gold plated :)

I wouldn't use brasso, personally. It's a mild abrasive and will damage the gold plating.

You're probably OK if you only use it once, but such aggressive methods shouldn't be necessary.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 10/26/2019 at 4:59 PM, gummy said:

I usually use alcohol. I use windex to clean the plastic on my carts, boxes, and systems. I will sometimes use windex on the connectors if I am feeling lazy or if I am out of alcohol.

I use windex and a cotton swab all the time! Just have to make sure not to leave any cotton behind...

• 5 months later...

I opened each and every cart I have ever gotten to hit the carts with the eraser. Meaning I had to cut through every label (neatly and cleanly with an exacto in the exact shape) to get to those two screws. Sometimes I look at more "valuable" games and say "hmm" but what is done is done...and they're player copies, I'm no collector.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Sargon said:

I have also seen people use Weiman Glass Cook Top Cleaner to polish the cart contacts.  Any opinions on whether that is better, worse, or similar to DeoxIT?

I'm guessing that's abrasive. Order some DeoxIT, and while waiting, if required, try some of the other non-abrasive methods, such as IPA.

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...

My fingers nearly broke off trying to hold the cart as illustrated. I found it much more comfortable to hold cadets on sides. (Which did not resolve the pains I developed in swabbing hands, but ...)

I first procured DeoxIT D100L-25C Precision Needle Applicator, then discovered there was also a DeoxIT GOLD G100P Pen Applicator. I cleaned with former, then applied latter. The descriptions seem to indicate they have different functions, but elephino.

I attempted to use pen applicator to rub it onto the contacts, which quickly deteriorated the tip. I think the proper method is to push cotton swab onto pen applicator or just push/hold applicator to cart connectors, then swab.

• 1 year later...