IGNORED

PC Classic Mini-Console

godslabrat

Can’t I just buy a Raspberry Pi, an enclosure, gamepad, keyboard, and mouse, 3D print a faceplate, install Armbian, buy 30+ games, build the source for ARM or install/configure in DOSBox for each and every game, create a menu system with game art, and tell everyone about it at parties?

No.

Wrong answer. Or, at least a bit condescending / inaccurate. rpix86 and DOSbox ports have been around for years. Thingverse should have plenty of computer looking cases.

Edited by Gemintronic

Ok I'll buck the trend here and say I'm interested. Not saying I'll join the crowdfund, especially if it's indiegogo but if it does happen to see the light of day I may be interested enough to buy one. I'm with ReviewtechUSA on this one - yes there are other ways to go about this but I love the NES classic and the idea of a quick and easy dosbox mini console is a neat idea. I don't have all the info of course but the core idea intrigues me enough to keep an eye on this.

• Like 3

You use a keyboard and mouse with it so you might as well just use a PC with DOSBOX (or in my case I use my real DOS system lol).

That is one of the things that needs to be considered with this since PC games generally need PC accessories like keyboards and mice, which hampers this thing from being a living room item like the other mini classic consoles.

Generally speaking I'm not a fan of the "if you're going to do this, you might as well just do this" argument when it comes to these things but in this case it's a valid criticism.

• Like 1

You use a keyboard and mouse with it so you might as well just use a PC with DOSBOX (or in my case I use my real DOS system lol).

Yeah, that's my feeling as well. Of all the "mini" console/computer/game system releases, the PC makes the least sense because modern PCs can pretty much play all the same games with the same interface (mouse/kbd). The experience of a modern pc is pretty much exactly the same, unlike playing console games on an emulator.

GOG.com nicely handles this for me in a cheap and hassle-free way.

• Like 2

Also check out the exoDOS collections, for example

https://archive.org/details/eXoDOS_Collection_v2.0

They're crazy in their completeness, and anyone likely to know how to unpack and play this stuff has probably already done so in GOG or Steam or vintage tech or abandonware or some combo of it all.

If they're counting on (1) dummies who can't/won't set up their own AND (2) want to play 30yo PC joystick games AND (3) are okay with whatever chaff they're able to license ... I would think that would be a pretty small group of customers.

I've overestimated the intelligence of our gang before, maybe I've totally got this wrong. But it's crowdfunded. And butt-ugly, and not in a cute way like the Oregon Trail thingy.

• Like 3

If this device had hardware emulation for Gravis Ultrasound, Roland Sound Canvas, and perhaps a Voodoo card, I would be rather interested, but that would also depend on whether I could hack into it.

Another feature that might actually win me over would be built in support for deathmath for Doom/wolf3d/heretic/quake. Two hdmi outputs would be required.

And while I'm dreaming, why not null modem / IPX support for Flying Carpet, Command and Conquer, Hi-Octaine, Dungeon Keeper, Descent, and Death Rally?

Something like that, and a nice GUI, would definitely shift it to something I'd rather buy than build.

Edited by CaptainBreakout

• 5 months later...

Also check out the exoDOS collections, for example

https://archive.org/details/eXoDOS_Collection_v2.0

ExoDOS packs are legendary, but if you want the complete package then it's all about Total DOS collection: https://archive.org/details/Total_DOS_Collection_Release_13

Has this been done for applications/tools/utilities/communications/ and other non-game things?