IGNORED

Altirra: how to get a "non-modem" serial connection?

sanny

Hi,

I'm running Altirra 3.10(?) (About-Help doesn't show the exact version number, I've inferred it from Help->Changelog) on Win10 which is running in a VirtualBox environment on my Linux machine.

I'm running kermit65 on the Atari and want to test some simple data transfer over the emulated RS232 line. Along the lines of typing "abc" on the Atari and see it on the other end, and vice versa.

I'm using "Full - SIO protocal and RS232 R: handler" emulation in Altirra. The TCP port used (9000) is relayed from the VBox environment to the Linux host. I'm running netcat on Linux.

I doesn't work. Nothing I type on the Atari arrives on the Linux side. When typing something on the Linux side I'm getting something sometimes, but mixed with "BELL" notifications from kermit. (Maybe my kermit settings aren't 100% correct, this could also be part of the issue).

But now an obvious problem I've noticed: In the "Modem setup" screen in the Altirra device mananger, when I unselect (or leave it unselected initially) "Emulate Telnet Protocol", close it, an open it again, it's always selected. I don't want the telnet protocol. I appears to be impossible to disable due to this problem.

The modem emulation seems to interpret some AT commands. I don't want that. I'd like to have an unprocessed data line, like when connecting two computers with a null-modem calble.

@phaeron, would you consider to add a straight data connection from an 850 port to a TCP port?

regards,

chris

• Like 1

@phaeron, would you consider to add a straight data connection from an 850 port to a TCP port?#

And, honestly, a connection to a real serial port on the Altirra host would be useful as well (maybe even more). One could connect real modems (ok, maybe not in 2018), serial printers, plotters, and all other weird RS232 stuff to the emulated Atari.

regards,

chris

Edited by sanny
  • Like 1