IGNORED

SDrive Max 3D printed case

slx

Are there any recommendations on how to print the XL-style V3.1 case?

Is ist possible to print it "face down" with the screen side on the printer plate and without support to get a smooth outer finish or is it better to print it "right side up" with a lot of support to remove from the inside (where it does not hurt cosmetically)?

Thanks!

The model should be printed face down if you are using an FDM printer. Depending on your printers handling of unsupported area bridging, you may or may not need support. Printing with support (for the case front opening) is fairly minor in this orientation anyway.

The main areas of the model should not require support, and the screw mount locations are designed to be printed without support.

post-5887-0-43932000-1542666881_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Hi,

I printed it the other way up as I thought that was the correct orientation, particularly for the bits that the screws go in to. I've subsequently been told that this was the wrong way up, and I did have to do some post printing fix-ups with a sharp knife and dremel.

The one thing that you should be very careful with is fitting the screen to the case - I managed to crack the screen when I was doing this, mainly because I didn't appreciate how delicate/fragile the screen was - so I would advise taking a lot of care when you're doing this.

It is a very nice case though, and looks great when fully assembled.