IGNORED

Wanted: Atari 5200 fight stick interface

tripletopper

I saw Rayik has homemade a device which takes Sega controllers on this website and I thought, I don't need the PS2->5200 adapter. All I need is the Sega Master System-> 5200 adapter that Rayik made. (I assume it's SMS, which the Genesis 3and Genesis 6 are both backwardly compatible.)

Rayik used the Competition Pro as a basis for his design, employing an external 5200 controller for the 15 keypad buttons and the centering of the stick.

I would like to buy one. Maybe other people would like to buy one for their 5200s. Games that need quick centering and distinct 8 way and/or 4 way would work fine with a fight stick with a 4/8 Way selectable gate. I understand I lose substely in analgoness. That's the effect I'm trying to achieve.

Also could I use direct wiring instead of dismantling a a SMS pad, a 7800/2600 Pad/Stick, and an Astrocade controller, if the joystick is wired to a DB37 where each pin represents a ground, and various directions and buttons, then someone can build a DB37-> uncoded system adapter, so the 7800/2600, SMS, and Astrocade work fine? I believe everything else needs a processor.

And I assume the 2 7800 buttons would need an "Logical OR" connection for the common button in 2600 mode pi, and it would be easy to make button flippers for the 7800 and SMS. Just cross reroute?

If if you don't want to make it, is there a place where these plans are posted?

I saw Rayik has homemade a device which takes Sega controllers

Rayik used the Competition Pro as a basis for his design, employing an external 5200 controller for the 15 keypad buttons and the centering of the stick.

If if you don't want to make it, is there a place where these plans are posted?

I did not create or design the device. I followed the plans in Section 6.3 of the Atari 5200 FAQ posted on Atariage.com.. It is a Masterplay clone.

Genesis controller will not work with that adapter. I rewired the internals of the genesis controller. All that works are UP, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT and BUTTON B.

I think I found a solution that is a lot easier, and can be achieved by anyone who know how to do fight stick pad hacking.

Step 1: Buy a Bohoki PC 15-pin -> 5200 adapter. they are about $10-15 each. I got 2 analog PC sticks and I might buy 2.

Step 2: Buy a 15-pin digital joypad on ebay. They are under $10 including shipping to the US. I'd use a 2-button or a 4 button with 2 regular buttons and 2 turbo buttons. The important thing is that it has a digital D-pad.

Step 3: Hire someone to pad hack the PC 15-Pin control to a fight stick.

Step 4: Get a gold modded 5200 from Best Electronics to get everything working right on the keypad front.

Possible Step 5: Have my fight stick have a 4/8 way changeable gate. There may be errors on games where the radius is greater than 100%, which are the diagonals at full cardinal X and full cardinal Y. That maybe the only error of a 5200 fight stick, and it could be preventable by locking out diagonals. Popeye, Qix, Ms. Pac Man, Vanguard, and other 4-way games might benefit from it.

Edited by tripletopper