Photo

Which Portland arcade should I visit?

4 replies to this topic

#1 Cynicaster OFFLINE  

Cynicaster

River Patroller

• 2,591 posts

Posted Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:48 AM

I just learned that I will be traveling to the Portland area for work in a few weeks.  I'd like to try to get out to an arcade while I'm there, so I am wondering if any Atariagers with experience can recommend one.  I know Ground Kontrol is out there which I've heard mentioned a hundred times but know nothing about, and it looks like there are a few others (QuarterWorld, High Score, and...?).

I'd just visit multiple places if I had time but I think I'll probably be lucky if I can find the time to visit one spot, so I want it to count.  

My criteria:

- primary interest is arcade games from late 70s to late 80s.  Some early 90s stuff is OK, but I would prioritize Robotron over the Simpsons any day of the week

- quality over quantity: I'd prefer a smaller collection of classic machines in great working order over a huge collection of games where half of them have busted joysticks

- I'll be in a rental car so easy access via car (i.e. somewhere obvious for a clueless tourist to park) would be very nice

Anyone?

#2 S1500 OFFLINE  

S1500

River Patroller

• 4,830 posts

Posted Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:29 AM

I would say Ground Kontrol. There is another retrocade a few miles away, but wasn't able to get to it when I went to PRGE.

#3 Chuck D. Head OFFLINE  

Chuck D. Head

River Patroller

• 3,514 posts
  • Facilitator of the Infinite

Posted Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:18 PM

Ground Kontrol is spectacular; I have not been to Quarterworld, but have heard it is very good. Both have similar mix of arcade / pins and have plenty of 80's machines and nothing from 70's.If you can only do one, I can't see how you could go wrong with GK as their games are usually in good repair.

Edited by Chuck D. Head, Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:22 PM.

#4 Cynicaster OFFLINE  

Cynicaster

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,591 posts

Posted Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:38 AM

Thanks dudes

#5 Cynicaster OFFLINE  

Cynicaster

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,591 posts

Posted Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:52 PM

Well, it ended up being Ground Kontrol.  When I booked my travel for the trip, I was given the address of the hotel I was to use, and when I hit up Google to see how far way the hotel is from GK, amazingly, it was just a 5 minute walk.  I was able to walk over there 3 different times.  Very cool place, so glad I went.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users