Photo

Cannot load firmware onto FB9

14 replies to this topic

#1 sn8k OFFLINE  

sn8k

Chopper Commander

• 238 posts

Posted Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:19 PM

I load firmware file on to my 16gb card. Put into console. Hit left and I get nothing. Click on SD box, it says loading, flickers 2 or 3 times and goes right back to atgames menu and gives me nothing. WTF AM I DOING WRONG!?!?!

#2 SignGuy81 OFFLINE  

SignGuy81

Stargunner

• 1,685 posts

Posted Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:22 PM

I have no clue for sure but sometimes devices do not like certain file formats and you may have to format a card as fat32 instead of ntfs for example but it may be something totally unrelated I don't even have a flashback 9.

#3 sn8k OFFLINE  

sn8k

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 238 posts

Posted Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:35 PM

Tried that.

#4 sn8k OFFLINE  

sn8k

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 238 posts

Posted Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:36 PM

On everyone elses videos It asks right away to upgrade firmware where mine will always just go straoght to gamelist and never give me the option. Im getting really f#$&$$& pissed off.

#5 SignGuy81 OFFLINE  

SignGuy81

Stargunner

• 1,685 posts

Posted Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:49 PM

Maybe try different SD card?

#6 sn8k OFFLINE  

sn8k

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 238 posts

Posted Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:53 PM

Tried 3. Same shit. Im 2 seconds from throwing this thing out.

#7 thetick1 OFFLINE  

thetick1

Dragonstomper

• 767 posts

Posted Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:04 PM

Tried 3. Same shit. Im 2 seconds from throwing this thing out.

It is either a bad image download/write .. or the Atari Flashback SD hardware is faulty.  I suspect your problem is using a new 16 gb SD card.  Try an older smaller one as the Flashback devices appear to have issues with certain newer SD cards.

Edited by thetick1, Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:06 PM.

#8 sn8k OFFLINE  

sn8k

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 238 posts

Posted Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:29 PM

im beginning to think it is faulty hardware because from all videos ive seen, before game menu its supposed to detect the firmware upgrade and ask if you want to uograde. It just doesnt do that for me. The firmware I grabbed from here.

#9 sn8k OFFLINE  

sn8k

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 238 posts

Posted Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:30 PM

The SD card is the exact one being used in 1 of the videos, and i dont have or ever see cards smaller.

#10 rmr_md OFFLINE  

rmr_md

Star Raider

• 83 posts

Posted Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:12 PM

You can confirm the SD Card is working by copying the save states to the SD Card (using the Atgames menu).

If you can copy the save states to the SD Card, it's good.

Copy the atari_update.img to the root of the SD Card and insert it with the console turned off. Turn the console on and you should be prompted to update the firmware.

#11 Mr SQL OFFLINE  

Mr SQL

River Patroller

• 2,068 posts

Posted Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:21 PM

The SD card is the exact one being used in 1 of the videos, and i dont have or ever see cards smaller.

The Flashback Portables would only work with 8 MB cards or smaller, I think this limit may be in effect for the FB9; here is a workaround:

I was able to use a larger SD card using the Retron77 community build which images an SD card to a much smaller size that is tolerated. Placing the fb9 firmware image (different type of image) on the reimaged card did the trick but I also had to do the extra step of ejecting the SD while the unit was on (it didn't recognize it), reinserting it and toggling the power switch - then it finally prompted to update the firmware.

#12 sn8k OFFLINE  

sn8k

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 238 posts

Posted Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:52 PM

The Flashback Portables would only work with 8 MB cards or smaller, I think this limit may be in effect for the FB9; here is a workaround:

I was able to use a larger SD card using the Retron77 community build which images an SD card to a much smaller size that is tolerated. Placing the fb9 firmware image (different type of image) on the reimaged card did the trick but I also had to do the extra step of ejecting the SD while the unit was on (it didn't recognize it), reinserting it and toggling the power switch - then it finally prompted to update the firmware.

Wish this was the case, I did manage to find an 8gb card, still doesnt work. However now I can finally add roms to the portable.

#13 RAShepherd OFFLINE  

RAShepherd

Space Invader

• 39 posts

Posted Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:46 PM

I've had a crap-load of probs with SD cards and various devices.  I did come across the SD card Association's official Formatting software:

https://www.sdcard.o...ds/formatter_4/

I imagine these new SD Ultra capacity cards won't work in a Flashback, 128TB!

If it's any use here is a guide to SD terminology and capacity ranges:

https://www.sdcard.o...stem/index.html

I'm hoping to get an FB9, I was so happy to get SD cards into the FB portable :-)

#14 sn8k OFFLINE  

sn8k

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 238 posts

Posted Sun Dec 2, 2018 8:27 AM

I've had a crap-load of probs with SD cards and various devices.  I did come across the SD card Association's official Formatting software:

https://www.sdcard.o...ds/formatter_4/

I imagine these new SD Ultra capacity cards won't work in a Flashback, 128TB!

If it's any use here is a guide to SD terminology and capacity ranges:

https://www.sdcard.o...stem/index.html

I'm hoping to get an FB9, I was so happy to get SD cards into the FB portable :-)

What are the odds this fixes the problem? I dont feel like wasting anymore time or money into anything Atgames related. I stand corrected. They still f@#$^ng suck.

#15 boggis the cat OFFLINE  

boggis the cat

Star Raider

• 73 posts

Posted Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:06 PM

What are the odds this fixes the problem? I dont feel like wasting anymore time or money into anything Atgames related. I stand corrected. They still f@#$^ng suck.

You can format SD cards to less than full capacity. Follow the links supplied by RAShepherd above and use the official formatting software — it prevents a host of problems that can occur with using your PC or Mac OS. You can instruct it to only use part of the capacity, and choose a file system that best suits your device.

I am using a 16 GiB Sandisk Ultra card with default FAT32 formatting with no issues on a Flashback 9 Gold, so haven’t needed to do this.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users