Photo

Question Interfacing Modern Printers & The TI-99/4A

6 replies to this topic

#1 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

Sunbaenim

• 13,207 posts

Posted Sat Dec 1, 2018 11:13 AM

Now days printers have all sorts of different drivers.  BITD that was not a major issue.  Since I've seen not seen any new developments on the TIPI/RPi front, I'm wondering, would it be possible to make a hardware interface to go between the RS-232 and a modern printer that effectively did that for you?

The driver could be burned into a chip or stored on a micro SD card, but essentially take the raw output of the TI and convert it on the fly and spit it out to the printer.  Kind of a plug it in and forget it sort of thing.

#2 atrax27407 OFFLINE  

atrax27407

Stargunner

• 1,140 posts

Posted Sat Dec 1, 2018 11:46 AM

The closest thing I have seen is a transliteration file that allows you to run an inkjet printer with a TI.

#3 HOME AUTOMATION OFFLINE  

HOME AUTOMATION

Chopper Commander

• 192 posts

Posted Sun Dec 2, 2018 1:11 AM

I used a HP deskjet 500. ...about 18 yrs. ago. :)

#4 Opry99er ONLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• 10,208 posts

Posted Sun Dec 2, 2018 1:17 AM

It would have to be coupled with software unless you are just wanting raw output. It would come from the PIO port, more than likely.... not the serial port.

Easiest way is to use TI Print/HDX.... yeah, you've got a PC middle-man, but that's an example of the software part I was talking about.

#5 mdilling OFFLINE  

mdilling

Space Invader

• 13 posts

Posted Sun Dec 2, 2018 6:33 PM

Opry99er kind of beat me to it. Couldn't you just port the TI Print/HDX software over to the TIPI and use a USB printer? In other words, substituting the TIPI for the PC.

#6 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

Sunbaenim

• Topic Starter
  • 13,207 posts

Posted Sun Dec 2, 2018 9:03 PM

Easiest way is to use TI Print/HDX.... yeah, you've got a PC middle-man, but that's an example of the software part I was talking about.

I could, but I'm in the process of simplifying, reducing clutter and downsizing.  The HDX is an awesome little device, but with the TIPI P-Box device mine was no longer getting any use, so I sent it along where it might find a good home someday.

Attached Files

• RXB likes this

#7 arcadeshopper ONLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• 3,952 posts

Posted Mon Dec 3, 2018 11:41 AM

Opry99er kind of beat me to it. Couldn't you just port the TI Print/HDX software over to the TIPI and use a USB printer? In other words, substituting the TIPI for the PC.

Ti print is a Windows program. The pi doesn't have the overhead to run wine

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users