Restoring a Redstone Apple //e Clone

2 replies to this topic

#1 Polymorph ONLINE  

Polymorph

Space Invader

• 45 posts

Posted Sun Dec 2, 2018 6:05 PM

Hi All, 

I videoed my "adventures" restoring an old Redstone Apple //e clone in October 2017 (!) and finally got around to finishing editing it for general consumption. 

Strap yourselves in, it's a bit of a long one... 

The video can be seen on my (new) channel here: 
https://youtu.be/m_-eu9YHbsk 

I know some of you will cringe at some of my restoration techniques, but please be nice as this machine was in a pretty bad state when I received it. Some of the techniques I used were new to me, so it was a bit of a learning experience as well. 

Cheers, 
Mike 

#2 jhd OFFLINE  

jhd

Stargunner

• 1,818 posts

Posted Thu Dec 6, 2018 12:45 PM

Wow that system was just filthy! Was it stored outside in a shed or something? I really like the segment where you take a garden hose to wash the metal shield; sometimes that is the only way.

I have cleaned a few really grungy Atari 2600 cases, but never anything quite that dirty. 

#3 Polymorph ONLINE  

Polymorph

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 45 posts

Posted Thu Dec 6, 2018 3:31 PM

Wow that system was just filthy! Was it stored outside in a shed or something? I really like the segment where you take a garden hose to wash the metal shield; sometimes that is the only way.

I have cleaned a few really grungy Atari 2600 cases, but never anything quite that dirty. 

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the ebay auction said that it had been stored outside in a shed for many years; and it really showed.   ;-)

Even the box it arrived in had bits falling out everywhere. I was actually reluctant at first to put my hand inside it for fear of what I might find. Thankfully it was pretty much just dirt/debris and some remains left by spiders.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users