IGNORED

The Hidden Reef

Opry99er

Back in 2008 or so, I saw a video posted by Ernie Pergrem of him dialing in to the Hidden Reef BBS using the TE2 cartridge and a 300 baud phone coupler modem. Since that day, I've been obsessed with The Reef.... I've spent hundreds of dollars on home phone line installations, a US Robotics modem, and countless service calls to my phone providers over the years trying to get them to adjust my services to different connection settings.... always chasing that elusive 9600 baud (which I refer to as Ludicrous Speed).

Yesterday I spent yet another chunk of change on another phone line installation (being that I've moved to a new house) and--once again--dialed out to The Hidden Reef. Last night at 2AM, I got some video footage and wanted to share it here.

Thanks to Richard Bell (Swim) and Greg McGill (Arcadeshopper) for maintaining dial-up Bulletin Board Systems. :)

• Like 8

I have always enjoyed The Hidden Reef BBS (I'll have to download "Markus"). I do have a couple of advantages that you don't have with your system. I have TELCO in 80 columns with my AVPC card which also stores several of the overlays for much faster loading. I also initially load from a RAMdisk. as well as upload and download from it - again an impressive speed acceleration. I'll play around with the ANSI terminal emulation and see how it works.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday I spent yet another chunk of change on another phone line installation (being that I've moved to a new house) and--once again--dialed out to The Hidden Reef. Last night at 2AM, I got some video footage and wanted to share it here.

Nice video, I truly enjoyed it. I wish there was a TIPI compatible terminal program that had an auto dialer like Telco. IIRC I used to automate also my log on sequence for the various BBS'es as well. And of course being able to upload and download would be nice too.

Could someone tell me how to use the linux telnet command to connect to the reef?

Alternatively, can classic 99 be configured to access it?

You can't get on the Reef from Classic99.... however you can Telnet in to The Keep BBS and GO DIALOUT from there to the Reef. Unfortunately with that setup, you won't be able to do XMODEM transfers.

Easiest way to have a fully-featured experience is to grab a modem and hook it up to your phone line... if you have one.

Nice video, I truly enjoyed it. I wish there was a TIPI compatible terminal program that had an auto dialer like Telco. IIRC I used to automate also my log on sequence for the various BBS'es as well. And of course being able to upload and download would be nice too.

Glad you liked it. :)

• Like 1

Mxt TIPI has a auto dialer

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Mxt TIPI has a auto dialer

Really? I'm familiar with the Telnet program that comes with the TIPI, but you always have to type in the URL to dial. I know about TIMXT, which is not yet TIPI enabled. How did I end up not knowing about "Mxt TIPI"? If it also does color ANSI graphics, I NEED to check it out. Do you have a link, or can you post the program here? Thanks!

Ahh, was spoiled with TIMXT when I used the RS-232 & UDS-10 and now with the TIPI Telnet program. Once you've experienced true 80 column color ANSI graphics on the TI, it's kind of hard to go back to 40 column monochrome.

My 2019 wish is to see an 80 Column, color ANSI graphics compatible terminal program that has auto-dialer and macro features similar to Telco's.

Throw in Xmodem download capability and I'll be able to die a happy man.

Hey, my 2018 wish came true, so I'm hopeful for 2019!

• 2 weeks later...

Back in 2008 or so, I saw a video posted by Ernie Pergrem of him dialing in to the Hidden Reef BBS using the TE2 cartridge and a 300 baud phone coupler modem. Since that day, I've been obsessed with The Reef.... I've spent hundreds of dollars on home phone line installations, a US Robotics modem, and countless service calls to my phone providers over the years trying to get them to adjust my services to different connection settings.... always chasing that elusive 9600 baud (which I refer to as Ludicrous Speed).

Great video. Thanks for sharing it.

I suspect this question has come up before, but my searching hasn't turned up any answers yet: what's the secret to running Telco from DSK2? I noticed in the video that you were able to do that. I assume there's some text/config file that needs to change to reference 'DSK2' instead of the apparent default to DSK1?

Your post inspired me to dig out my old 300 baud Volksmodem along with TE2 and dialup the Hidden Reef a couple of weeks ago for the first time. It was fun to see the modem actually working after being unused for ~35 years. I wouldn't mind trying with Telco, too.

• Like 1

There's really no secret, you just need to OLD DSK2.LOAD and modify the path to look for DSK2. I think it took me a couple minutes to figure it out... Vorticon posted a copy of Telco somewhere in here that I have been using, and that's the one I modified to run from DSK2.

I'm glad you enjoyed the video! We would love to have another member over there, so please get up and running!

Point of note: you will need to modify a cable for Telco. I have a video on my channel showing the pinout.

1-1

2-3

3-2

6-20

7-7

20-6

Is I BELIEVE correct. May want to double check a thread called "BBS DIALOUT Catch All Thread" or something like that. Or you can watch the video on my channel. See the description in the video for the correct pinout, since I think I left out "1-1" in the actual video.

• Like 1

Ahh, was spoiled with TIMXT when I used the RS-232 & UDS-10 and now with the TIPI Telnet program. Once you've experienced true 80 column color ANSI graphics on the TI, it's kind of hard to go back to 40 column monochrome.

My 2019 wish is to see an 80 Column, color ANSI graphics compatible terminal program that has auto-dialer and macro features similar to Telco's.

Throw in Xmodem download capability and I'll be able to die a happy man.

Hey, my 2018 wish came true, so I'm hopeful for 2019!

I would love to be able to have 80 col ANSI on my 99, however, I am still patiently waiting for F18A's to become available. In the meantime, are there any 40 col terminal programs that supports multicolor ANSI? Why are they limited to two color (background/foreground)? Please forgive my ignorance...

I would love to be able to have 80 col ANSI on my 99, however, I am still patiently waiting for F18A's to become available. In the meantime, are there any 40 col terminal programs that supports multicolor ANSI? Why are they limited to two color (background/foreground)? Please forgive my ignorance...

There is only one ansi capable 40 column term and that is TELCO which does not support color.. just the ansi codes

TERM80 is a 80 column color ansi term for the 4/a that works with the standard 9918a by making it's own font in bitmap mode. It's hard to read, but works fine on a stock 4/a..

Greg

• Like 1

In the meantime, are there any 40 col terminal programs that supports multicolor ANSI? Why are they limited to two color (background/foreground)? Please forgive my ignorance...

You know, even with an F18A installed, if you call a BBS using the TIPI's TELNET program in either 40 or 64 column mode it defaults to black & white. You have to be in 80 column mode for color to work.

• Like 1

There's really no secret, you just need to OLD DSK2.LOAD and modify the path to look for DSK2. I think it took me a couple minutes to figure it out... Vorticon posted a copy of Telco somewhere in here that I have been using, and that's the one I modified to run from DSK2.

Thanks. I found Vorticon's post containing the SSSD copy of Telco. In Extended Basic, I have no problem loading that copy or my own DSSD copy. But when I run either copy, it begins to run (screen shows "Now loading:- Telco") and then fails with the error msg "* BAD ARGUMENT IN 5". Am I missing something?

Thanks. I found Vorticon's post containing the SSSD copy of Telco. In Extended Basic, I have no problem loading that copy or my own DSSD copy. But when I run either copy, it begins to run (screen shows "Now loading:- Telco") and then fails with the error msg "* BAD ARGUMENT IN 5". Am I missing something?

I experienced the same error: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/266774-wifi-modem-telnet-from-any-computer-with-a-serial-port/?p=4134008

Here is the solution that worked for me, hopefully it will help you:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/266774-wifi-modem-telnet-from-any-computer-with-a-serial-port/?p=4139194

• Like 1

This may need to be a separate topic, but the problem seems to be when I convert the files from V9T9 to tifiles format with TI99Dir V6.4a on the PC. If the TI filename has a "/" then it gets removed during the conversion. I think it is due to the "/" not being allowed in a PC filename. This happened when I converted Term80.dsk. e.g. the TI filename XBLOAD/O was changed to XBLOAD when converted from V9T9 to TIFILES.

What is the best way to extract a .dsk and convert to TIFILES format for running on real iron? Should it be done on a TI99 instead of a PC with TI99Dir? Or maybe Classic99 on a PC? If so, what is the best program to use and the steps to follow?

Edited by twoodland