Photo

TI Video capture/composite/vertical lines

16 replies to this topic

#1 Opry99er OFFLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• 10,208 posts

Posted Wed Dec 5, 2018 3:15 AM

So I'm trying something new... I want to capture TI videos without using a camera... Specifically, I have purchased an Easycap device and I'm plugging my TI straight in. The capture is quite responsive, however I have some rather annoying vertical lines all the way across my capture. See picture.

I can kind of deal with it, but it is a bit off-putting when watching the footage back. Is this simply going to happen no matter what, or is there perhaps a syncing issue that can be addressed with resolution settings?

Has anyone tried this before and seen these results?

Attached Files

#2 OLD CS1 OFFLINE  

OLD CS1

Technomancer

• 5,787 posts
  • Technology Samurai

Posted Wed Dec 5, 2018 8:40 AM

Not I.

#3 OLD CS1 OFFLINE  

OLD CS1

Technomancer

• 5,787 posts
  • Technology Samurai

Posted Wed Dec 5, 2018 9:32 AM

Looking for as many threads on the video as I can find, I found this interesting post about vertical lines:

http://atariage.com/...-2#entry3138846

• RXB likes this

#4 Opry99er OFFLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 10,208 posts

Posted Wed Dec 5, 2018 9:45 AM

I wonder if running the signal through a VCR first would mellow it out some?

#5 Asmusr OFFLINE  

Asmusr

River Patroller

• 2,946 posts

Posted Wed Dec 5, 2018 10:09 AM

So I'm trying something new... I want to capture TI videos without using a camera... Specifically, I have purchased an Easycap device and I'm plugging my TI straight in. The capture is quite responsive, however I have some rather annoying vertical lines all the way across my capture. See picture.

I can kind of deal with it, but it is a bit off-putting when watching the footage back. Is this simply going to happen no matter what, or is there perhaps a syncing issue that can be addressed with resolution settings?

Has anyone tried this before and seen these results?

Yes: http://atariage.com/...-capture-device

#6 Opry99er OFFLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 10,208 posts

Posted Wed Dec 5, 2018 10:12 AM

What did you end up using, Rasmus?

#7 Asmusr OFFLINE  

Asmusr

River Patroller

• 2,946 posts

Posted Wed Dec 5, 2018 10:15 AM

What did you end up using, Rasmus?

Nothing really. I have a hdmi recording device that I used a few times via a vga to hdmi converter from the F18A, but it has also stopped working. I'm back to recording videos from emulators only.

#8 Opry99er OFFLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 10,208 posts

Posted Wed Dec 5, 2018 10:16 AM

I'll try the VCR tonight and post results

#9 Opry99er OFFLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 10,208 posts

Posted Thu Dec 6, 2018 10:58 AM

I was able to transfer some old videos from VHS just fine, no lines... so I know the device works as expected. I was using the composite out on the VCR. When I tried plugging the TI into the VCR and then out to the device, it acted as a simple coupler (composite in, composite out) so the lines persisted. It's plain to see that the device does not like the TI video output signal.

My plan now is to use the VCR as an S-Video converter box, since I have a really nice late-Model VCR with component out, S-video out, RF (coax) out, and composite out--along with RF in and composite in. I'll go into the VCR with my TI composite cables and try to go OUT with S-video. I'm hoping that will "tune and convert" my composite signal.

I'll have to see if WalMart sells S-video cables, and I can attempt tonight.

#10 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

Sunbaenim

• 13,207 posts

Posted Thu Dec 6, 2018 11:18 AM

If Walmart does not carry them, there are a ton of << options on Ebay >>

#11 arcadeshopper OFFLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• 3,950 posts

Posted Thu Dec 6, 2018 11:19 AM

I was able to transfer some old videos from VHS just fine, no lines... so I know the device works as expected. I was using the composite out on the VCR. When I tried plugging the TI into the VCR and then out to the device, it acted as a simple coupler (composite in, composite out) so the lines persisted. It's plain to see that the device does not like the TI video output signal.

My plan now is to use the VCR as an S-Video converter box, since I have a really nice late-Model VCR with component out, S-video out, RF (coax) out, and composite out--along with RF in and composite in. I'll go into the VCR with my TI composite cables and try to go OUT with S-video. I'm hoping that will "tune and convert" my composite signal.

Also try recording on tape, then playing back..

#12 OLD CS1 OFFLINE  

OLD CS1

Technomancer

• 5,787 posts
  • Technology Samurai

Posted Thu Dec 6, 2018 12:01 PM

I am going to try the crystal replacement and diode fixes mentioned in another thread.  No harm, no foul.  I found it interesting in the crystal replacement article the only difference I could see between the before and after on the color burst signal was a slight shift, but that could have just been his zoom setting.  My guess is it is possible other parts of the signal were off-kilter and just not scrutinized.

There used to be a day when I could go down the street to pick up electronic parts.  Now I have to pay $8 shipping for $5 worth of parts to get them in a few days. *sigh*

#13 arcadeshopper OFFLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• 3,950 posts

Posted Thu Dec 6, 2018 1:27 PM

I remembered I'd ordered one of these tiny DVR's for use in a RC toy.. and I needed to figure out if it could record TI video so I'll be wiring that up to some connectors and testing this weekend

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Eachine-ProDVR-Pro-DVR-Mini-Video-Audio-Recorder-FPV-Recorder-RC-Quadcopter-5V/282700823405?hash=item41d2483b6d:rk:1:pf:0 

Greg

#14 Opry99er OFFLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 10,208 posts

Posted Sun Dec 9, 2018 10:06 AM

Well son of a....... finally got an S-Video cable only to find out that the S-Video Output on my VCR/DVD is only for the DVD player.... plain as day in the manual (which I found online).

Unfortunately, composite IN only translates to the VCR output. Sucks....

On a better note, the TI looks beautiful running through the VCR, so I'll likely try to go find some blank VHS tapes and start taping my TI sessions.... then I'll transfer those from tape to digital.

This whole thing is a bit ridiculous, if you think about it.....

#15 Opry99er OFFLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 10,208 posts

Posted Sun Dec 9, 2018 10:59 AM

If anyone has a stash of blank VHS tapes they want to get rid of for a reasonable cost, let me know. I'm about to go down the road of insanity for a little while.

#16 OLD CS1 OFFLINE  

OLD CS1

Technomancer

• 5,787 posts
  • Technology Samurai

Posted Sun Dec 9, 2018 4:55 PM

I have some in climate controlled storage.  I have to go out tomorrow to get out Christmas decorations so I will have a look.

#17 Tursi OFFLINE  

Tursi

Quadrunner

• 5,355 posts
  • HarmlessLion

Posted Sun Dec 9, 2018 11:00 PM

Well son of a....... finally got an S-Video cable only to find out that the S-Video Output on my VCR/DVD is only for the DVD player.... plain as day in the manual (which I found online).

Unfortunately, composite IN only translates to the VCR output. Sucks....

On a better note, the TI looks beautiful running through the VCR, so I'll likely try to go find some blank VHS tapes and start taping my TI sessions.... then I'll transfer those from tape to digital.

This whole thing is a bit ridiculous, if you think about it.....

Yeah, for a while I was doing recordings by using a DVD recorder, then ripping the DVD. I don't currently have a good solution ;)

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users