Photo

Atari 1200XL needs help

9 replies to this topic

#1 hueyjones70 OFFLINE  

hueyjones70

Chopper Commander

• 201 posts

Posted Wed Dec 5, 2018 8:06 PM

I have a 1200XL that doesn't boot. I get an audio click at power on but nothing on the screen. The power light does not come on but there is power through the switch and power at various places on the board. I have another working 1200XL and I used it to check every chip on the MB. All checked out. I guess that leaves resistors, capacitors, and broken traces. Does any one have any advice based on experience.

#2 DrVenkman OFFLINE  

DrVenkman

River Patroller

• 3,603 posts
  • Back off, man! I'm a scientist.

Posted Wed Dec 5, 2018 8:20 PM

I went through this process a year and a half ago with one of my 1200XL’s, so I feel your pain.

Even though the screen is dark, if you boot with START pressed, do you get the cassette boot sound? If so, you may have a video issue. If you boot with a drive or drive-emulator device attached to the SIO port, do you get any sounds? Have you tried booting STAR RAIDERS, which ID’s itself to the system as a “diagnostic” cart and thus will sometimes boot when the rest of the OS can’t or won’t.

If all the chips on the non-booting machine work in another machine, then there’s the possibility (likelihood?) of either a faulty socket (or three!). Did your swap tests include the OS ROMS and all the support logic as well? On my 1200XL’s, all of those are socketed except the Delay Line chip, which is soldered.

My suggestion is to get the Sam’s 800XL Computerfacts PDF from AtariMania and a cheap logic probe and start seeing if all the chips are producing the expected results when you try to boot the troublesome machine. Even though the schematics aren’t quite accurate for the 1200XL, they are illustrative and you can figure out what you need to by comparing the 800XL stuff with the physical traces on the board in front of you.

Anyway, if the chips are all good, but you’re not getting the expected activity on each pin, the process is then to basically trace backwards along the circuit until you find the problem. It can be time-consuming but this effort will definitely ID what’s working right and what’s not on the board.

#3 hueyjones70 OFFLINE  

hueyjones70

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 201 posts

Posted Wed Dec 5, 2018 10:00 PM

I tried the Star Raiders thing and got nothing. I don't get any kind of reaction on the screen, it is exactly the same as if the monitor is turned off. I had to replace one of the ICs because corrosion had caused two pins to break off. I think I will start checking voltages from the top and bottom of each IC so I can find out if any of the sockets need replacing. Thanks for the input. I read your account of your travails with your two 1200XLs

#4 _The Doctor__ OFFLINE  

_The Doctor__

Quadrunner

• 5,847 posts

Posted Wed Dec 5, 2018 10:42 PM

corroded pins usually match up with corroded socket swipes/wipes. de-oxit the socket, if they are weak or discolored you end up with issues. might as well check them all with de oxit and a magnifying glass

Edited by _The Doctor__, Wed Dec 5, 2018 10:43 PM.

#5 xrbrevin OFFLINE  

xrbrevin

Moonsweeper

• 283 posts
  • Mr Ziggy loves to extend the 1050 heatsink!

Posted Thu Dec 6, 2018 10:51 AM

try the easy things first - have you reseated all the chips? check for corrosion / dry joints on the PCB etc

It would be helpful if you can test your chips in another, known working atari

here is the FSM etc:

Attached Files

#6 _The Doctor__ OFFLINE  

_The Doctor__

Quadrunner

• 5,847 posts

Posted Thu Dec 6, 2018 10:56 AM

he already noted he swapped chips between the two 1200's so it was mentioned the chips worked on the known good 1200...

So after socket inspection/ solder joint trace inspection, it might be time to check that last soldered in chip...

what kind of cord or method are you using for monitor/tv connection?

Edited by _The Doctor__, Thu Dec 6, 2018 10:58 AM.

#7 xrbrevin OFFLINE  

xrbrevin

Moonsweeper

• 283 posts
  • Mr Ziggy loves to extend the 1050 heatsink!

Posted Thu Dec 6, 2018 11:19 AM

ah, apologies - i shouldve read it fully...

#8 bob1200xl OFFLINE  

bob1200xl

River Patroller

• 2,551 posts

Posted Thu Dec 6, 2018 11:59 AM

You need to try the delay line at some point.

Bob

#9 DavidMil OFFLINE  

DavidMil

Dragonstomper

• 689 posts

Posted Fri Dec 7, 2018 6:51 PM

I've run across two 1200XL's that had weak connections in the sockets.  One was on a RAM socket, and the other was on

one of the ROM sockets.  I've also had a delay chip go bad too.  You might want to look for 5V DC on all the sockets first

and then follow up with the logic probe.  Look for discolored or burned components and also make sure you don't feel any

hot components.  One other thing... Are you using the same power supply on both the good and bad computer?

DavidMil

#10 hueyjones70 OFFLINE  

hueyjones70

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 201 posts

Posted Fri Dec 7, 2018 10:09 PM

Yes to the power supply. I put in a new delay chip because the original was not pocketed and I cut it out, installed a socket and a new chip.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users