IGNORED

Classic Kong Demo

swapd0

Looks very interesting! Time to fire up my Skunkboard loader....

EDIT: I tried it out on one of my K-model NTSC Jag. Loads fine, inputs seem to work fine. The graphics look nice and colourful. There are some sound effect and voices.

I found when Mario first appears by his lonesome and you run to the right on the lower level, he moves at a decent rate of speed. However, as barrels and the fireball appear, he slows down. By the time you have the fireball and three barrels on the screen, his movement speed drops substantially, maybe by half? The controls work fine. I let myself get killed a few times and the level reset just fine. I found completing this level as is fairly easy.

Once I climb the ladder and reach the princess, the screen goes black, I hear the princess saying "Oh no!" and then eventually I find myself back at the title page after a lengthy wait.

Edited by ls650
  • Like 1

Strange - Cyrano's shows the ape grabbing the princess and then the level restarts. Not on mine.

As soon as Mario reaches the top of the ladder the screen goes black, and I don't see the ape grabbing the princess, nor do I see the level restart.

I wondered if something was wrong with my flash, so I reflashed the ROM just to be sure. Same story.

The slowdown will be the 3x 16 bit trans layers. Make the backdrop 4bpp and the skyline 1bpp (if it isn't already) and you'll get a significant speedup.

If you want the blue->purple effect, use 3 x 4bpp bands and burn some CLUT tables. It's still less than using a 16bpp image.

• Like 3

I'm using 2x 4bits bitmap for the clouds (I draw 256 + 16 pixels to make the scroll), 1 bit bitmap for the skyline, 8bits bitmap for the tiles screen, 16 bits bitmap for the sprites, all sprites are 16x16 pixels.

I forgot to include two black stripes on each edge to remove the weird effect on the borders.

Maybe playing with the release bit I can get more CPU time.

Also I want to change vbcc for gcc, it generates better code.

Edited by swapd0
  • Like 1

I've uploaded a demo version of classic kong

I need feedback from NTSC users ;)

Just tried this on a M model Jaguar.

At 60Hz. after clearing the level, the screen goes black and stays black, but the game continues to the next level as I can hear the sounds.

As mentioned by others, the game slows down to a snails pace when there are more objects on screen.

At 50Hz. the game plays flawless at a constant pace, a bit too easy but fun nevertheless!

The use of the left/right audio channels is very nice and adds to the "feel" of the game imo :)

Edited by Isgoed

At 50Hz. the game plays flawless at a constant pace, a bit too easy but fun nevertheless!

The use of the left/right audio channels is very nice and adds to the "feel" of the game imo :)

Yes, I made a mistake when compiled the demo version and the level loops it's not incremented, so you play at the same difficulty level over and over again.