Hi Larry and thank you for testing the software and giving some feebacks.
Here's what I'm doing:
1. Set real Happy 1050 to D2:
2. Place an ATR image of the 7.1 software in D1:
3. Place a new disk image in D3:
4. Boot the 7.1 image and the Happy menu says I have 3 Happy drives D1: , D2: , D3:
5. Select the HBP (#4) from the Happy menu and load it
6. Pre-defined Backup option question is displayed
7. I toggle the Happy button OFF on D1:
8. I say "N" to PDB
9. Drives start to program, but every time says "High Speed Transfer Error"
Your issue is at step 5.
When you select HBP, Happy software displays that it will use Happy drives D1: as source and D2: as destination.
And there is no chance to modify these settings after selecting this menu.
At step 7, you set the drive D1: in Unhappy mode. But this is too late ! Happy software wants D1: as the source and D2: as the destination.
At step 9, Happy software is sending commands to D1: because it assumes that D1: is still a Happy drive. And of course, it fails.
So, now, how can you make a backup from your physical drive to your RespeQt image ?
I can not check with my real Atari but I guess this will work (feel free to ask again if it does not work):
Just use 2 drives (D1: and D2:)
1. Turn your real Happy drive OFF.
2. Change jumpers to set it as D1:
3. Load Happy software 7.1 image in RespeQt as D1:
4. Load your destination image (blank image) as D2:
5. Turn Happy mode ON for both D1: and D2:
6. Boot your Atari
7. Select option 4 in the main menu (Happy Backup).
8. When the pre-defined Backup option question is displayed, do NOT answer
9. Empty the image in D1:
10. Turn your real Happy drive on.
11. Answer N to the pre-defined Backup option question and answer the remaining questions
The key is to substitute the image with the real drive when the pre-defined Backup option question is displayed.
To be honest with you, I did not make so much tests this way (real floppy to image).
95% of the tests I performed were from an ATX image to a real floppy.
Edit: There doesn't seem to be any way to change to defined Source and Destination drive in the Happy Software from D1: and D2:. (?)
Happy software always selects the lowest Happy drive number as the source and the next Happy drive number as the destination.
Happy is really a great enhancements but the fact that you can not change the source and destination drive is a real pain.
This is the only copier I know on Atari (and probably on many platforms) where you can not choose source and destination.
Just because of this, I would remove one star if we were on a marketplace or if it was a smatphone app !!!
There is an option to change the drive number of a Happy drive (option 1 in the main menu) but this is not an easy way.