IGNORED

Rikki & Vikki

TailChao

Mine arrived today. Which after import duty and fees cost £87 (at the current exchange rate that's $113). But that's to be expected sadly, and why I don't usually buy boxed games from the US! I'm not bitching, I expected it, I did the same thing with Rebooteroids. Thankfully both games were worth it.

• Like 3

I can't wait to see what else they can come up with for the 7800 down the road. With the Bup sound chip, extra memory and board design, would love to see a Final Fantasy or Y's type of RPG on the 7800. :love:

Btw: is it me, or does this seem totally comfortable/natural as an arcade game marquee?

post-13896-0-22133700-1552092665.png

• Like 8

I can't wait to see what else they can come up with for the 7800 down the road. With the Bup sound chip, extra memory and board design, would love to see a Final Fantasy or Y's type of RPG on the 7800. :love:

Btw: is it me, or does this seem totally comfortable/natural as an arcade game marquee?

135D8E6E-3CC6-4570-A4E0-94A59FF3F7E9.png

Yes looks like it belongs in the arcades.

Everything about it is pro. I hope it keeps selling and they decide to do more gamez. It is a pretty amazing original game. I wonder what else these people can come up with?

• Like 1

I'm enjoying the game so far. I'm not great at it, but I'm enjoying it. :)

Now, I really want Rikki, Vikki, Marie, Sam, and Dut plushies.

My wife and I are playing it. The only way we make progress is by giving Dut all our points and leaving the 7800 on all the time, never turning it off. Maybe in another few weeks we can beat the game! ;-)

• Like 1

My wife and I are playing it. The only way we make progress is by giving Dut all our points and leaving the 7800 on all the time, never turning it off. Maybe in another few weeks we can beat the game! ;-)

Yeah, I finally gave in and surrendered all of my points to Dut as well. What I like about this game is that after you learn what you need to do for each screen, passing it becomes easier and easier. Nothing (so far) is prohibitively hard—you learn exactly what you need to do and, with practice, you can get through once difficult screens relatively easily.

• Like 1

The best part is - since all our designs were released, if we don't do it someone else can!

That was the intention, yeah. It's aping Kangaroo's cabinet design pretty heavily along with some of the System 1 flyers, had these and a bunch of 1970s movie posters printed out while designing the logos. Seems to have the desired effect too, the marquee pops really well against others.

All the game's logos, fonting, and indicia were originally more early 1990s / squiggly up until mid-2018. Then we decided to go "full on Atari" with the promotional materials and refonted the entire game (neon tube header text, etc).

I wanted to do a bunch more promotional materials like Atari used to prep for their cabinets but there wasn't time.

Now, I really want Rikki, Vikki, Marie, Sam, and Dut plushies.

I'm actually looking into getting a Dut plush made, but he'll probably just be for show and not for sale unless the game really takes off.

I want a Dut punching bag for when I keep dying I can give him his credit!

If it dropped quarters on each impact that would be even better :D

Yeah, I finally gave in and surrendered all of my points to Dut as well. What I like about this game is that after you learn what you need to do for each screen, passing it becomes easier and easier. Nothing (so far) is prohibitively hardyou learn exactly what you need to do and, with practice, you can get through once difficult screens relatively easily.

Then once you've practiced enough to not need Dut's help, you can start keeping all those POINTS for yourself.
  • Like 6

attachicon.gif135D8E6E-3CC6-4570-A4E0-94A59FF3F7E9.png

It sure brings to mind my old Food Fight cab!

It would have been pretty neato if this had been an arcade game in the 80's. Though it feels that much more special and esoteric that we get it as a Home game Now and it's an original concept, rather than an arcade port...I think that's generally what I really wanted (Now and in the past), an extended home game that feels like it could have been an arcade game ...If that makes sense. :)

• Like 1

Quick heads up about international shipping...

We're getting several complaints about the cost of shipping over the pond and requests to misdeclare the game on customs forms. I cannot do anything about the former and the latter is not happening. Again, I've reserved 150 copies of the game for bulk / group orders or distributors. I recommend you organize into groups of 10+ if possible or encourage a local distributor to purchase copies from us.

It would have been pretty neato if this had been an arcade game in the 80's. Though it feels that much more special and esoteric that we get it as a Home game Now and it's an original concept, rather than an arcade port...I think that's generally what I really wanted (Now and in the past), an extended home game that feels like it could have been an arcade game ...If that makes sense. :)

It makes sense, the intention was to have Rikki & Vikki's structure be a compromise between how arcade games are typically played while accommodating the needs of console audiences (i.e. Direct Dutposit). But there are slight nudges towards playing for score.

Addendum : Not that anything is wrong with using Dut's services ;)

Edited by TailChao
  • Like 1

Game landed in Switzerland, thank you very much!

I too had to pay customs fees ($25). A slightly lower value in customs declaration would avoid this issue.

The game works on my PAL console but it doesn't work on my French scart rgb console (black screen).

Checksum feature doesn't seem to work.

Is it possible to start from a level?

High-score saving would have been nice.

The game works on my PAL console but it doesn't work on my French scart rgb console (black screen).

Checksum feature doesn't seem to work.

Interesting, we have a few other users here running the game on French / SCART RGB 7800s without any issues. Black screen without the ability to use the checksum feature sounds like the the game isn't even starting to run and the HALT pin might not be making a good contact.

Is it possible to start from a level?

No, unfortunately.

High-score saving would have been nice.

Agreed, but unfortunately it was not feasible.

Interesting, we have a few other users here running the game on French / SCART RGB 7800s without any issues. Black screen without the ability to use the checksum feature sounds like the the game isn't even starting to run and the HALT pin might not be making a good contact.

I think it was bad contacts. The game now works on French console and checksum appears too.

The game works but no checksum on PAL console (pause, select and reset keys work).

I think it was bad contacts. The game now works on French console and checksum appears too.

Great!

The game works but no checksum on PAL console (pause, select and reset keys work).

I can only guess something might be up with the difficulty switches, but can't confirm anything without the hardware in front of me. The checksum branch occurs between the hardware initialization and game loop entry so there's not much to affect it. But if the checksum is good in your French 7800 and the game is running on the PAL unit, it'll probably be fine in either.

If I ever do another game for a dinosaur like this, it's probably in my best interest to steal another arcade feature and put a full hardware test suite in there. Especially as the dinosaurs continue to fossilize ;) .

Wow that fire boss was tough to beat. I like how if you take too long he gives you a surprise. I quit after a couple rounds of the bubble level as became too hard to figure out maybe another time..

I need a player 2 to try that part out.

Edited by Jinks
  • Like 1